Sign in to follow this  
yacobm8

Is it possible to render grass everywhere and not just in the general vicinity of the player

I want to make it so that if you were in a guile suit prone in tall grass then you would be considerably harder to see then it currently is at the moment. At the moment if your not in the general vicinity of the player then you stick out like a sore thumb because your character pops against the low quality terrain.

I don't mind how the method of this would have to be done whether that means having to edit config files, make players download a mod or there is a simple scripting command. I have had experience scripting my own missions and running a custom Altis Life server so I could learn how to do it myself but just need somebody to tell me first if it would be possible. 

Picture showing how grass is rendered in short distance but doesn't render long distance.

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=arma+3+terrain&espv=2&biw=1920&bih=955&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAWoVChMIqK-GgbCEyQIVBgeOCh3pEwAU#imgrc=AQBOL1-_icWYVM%3A

bump = spam on these forums

your answer = no

• Like 1

You could try to unpack the original worlds and fiddle around with the "Clutterdist" and/or "Fulldetaildist" parameters in the configuration. If that works out for you, maybe you can make a small config to "patch" these values for others. I cannot help you any further, as I myself just started learning how to edit ArmA :).

Be warned however, that there is a very good reason that the grass limit is in place. I think BIS handles the concealment problem at longer ranges by not completely rendering units. (not the lower half)

IIRC, it's handled by fading in a slightly raised 'ground' at a certain distance. Unless you're using a thousand parallel PCs to render the terrain, rendering grass out further than a certain range is a recipe for a slideshow rather than a simulation.

• Like 1