major_desync

Sugar Lake [67 sq km river delta terrain]

Looking forward to an APEX infused Sugar Lake. As you said, Tanoa has lots of great stuff that would work really well with your map. 

Minor update released just now to all mirrors to fix some stuff I messed up in the 1.60 hotfix (used an old .wrp by mistake, which had misplaced objects). Current version now should have all objects back to where they were just before the 1.60 hotfix. We apologize for the inconvenience. :)

UPDATE (29/6/16): I thought I'd share where my thinking is at with future updates to SL. First - I do want to do more visual optimisation on the surface textures and sat map to make  blend better. I'm currently doing this on Gorgona (which was badly hit by 1.60) and it does make a big difference to the overall splenditude. 

Second - thinking about Apex. As Apex assets and textures will require people to own the Apex DLC, I toying with the idea of forking SL. I'll do all the 1.60 optimisations, and the heightmap tweaks I've been planning and get to a solid vanilla SL.

From there, I may fork off Sugar Lake Apex, incorporating Apex objects, textures etc. Both will be maintained, and it would allow everyone to play SL, whether they have Apex or not. Of course, in the long term, I assume everyone will eventually have Apex, at which point vanilla SL can be quietly put out to pasture. Still undecided on this whole idea, but that's what I'm considering. 

May i ask, what's the cell size of the terrain?

You may!  :)

It's a 4 m cell.  

BTW - I've pretty much finished the post 1.60 visual optimisations (working with the Dev branch releases) - so I should be able to release an update around the same time Apex drops. 

• Like 1

I love this map... Not sure how well it would work with the mod I play but still considering using it.

Sugar Lake v1.3 is here.

As you'll see in the change log, this is mostly visual optimisation, and hopefully SL is looking the better for it. I'm still not happy with how some of the A2 vegetation looks in the new lighting system (shiny green and yellow trees and bushes), so that may need further work - either removing them entirely, or replacing them with stuff from Tanoa (which would create an Apex dependency). 

Available now on Steam, and other mirrors soon. 

Change log:

Beta v 1.3 (10/07/16)

Visual Optimisation - Making Sugar Lake Sweet Again. 

ADDED: Some trees and bushes in marsh areas. 
TWEAKED: Config lighting settings. 
TWEAKED: Sat image to better match the default surface textures. 
TWEAKED: Some of the surface texture PAAs. 
TWEAKED: Heightmap - adding perlin noise to some underwater areas and smoothing the airfield runway, taxiways and aprons.

Thanks to t800a and Cype_revenge for hints and tips. 
  • Like 1

Did you change the map drastically? It looks ALOT different as  in some areas are gone that used to be there.

It shouldn't have! No buildings were removed - so if things have gone missing, then we have a problem.

So - what areas, and does it look like some of the A2 buildings have gone missing (a problem with CUP be my first suspicion)? 

After looking at it again, the colot changes threw me off. It looks great

So no objects missing then? :)

If so -  :yay:

Correct. None that I could see!

Announcing Sugar Lake v 1.31, a minor update to deugly the outside terrain on the north end of the map. Up now on Steam Workshop and other mirrors

CHANGELOG: Beta v 1.31 (20/08/16)

TWEAKED: Improved outside terrain.

• Like 1

Will you do an Apex update ? I think the resources like buildings and especially plants would fit very well  and look way better than most of the A2 resources. I would go that far and say no A2 resources are really needed for this...but that's just me :)

keep it up...really love this island :)

Hey uh I ran into an issue (not on the latest version you just released )

Since the map falls between two map sheets (you can see the 999 northing if you zoom out) things that rely on grid references don't work correctly. This means that ace 3 navigation with their gps's doesn't work right, and also firewill's aws sticks all gref's on the bottom map sheet.

Would it be possible to rearrange the grid references so it's all one sheet?

Thanks for the map though, it's one of my favorites :)

Hey - thanks for the feedback!

Apex - I had planned to do this already (see previous posts), but so far as I know at the moment, BIS have not made the Apex assets freely available for use in 3rd party terrains (they're locked away in encrypted PBOs). When this changes (assuming it hasn't already), I will make an Apex update, probably forking SL, so that people without the DLC still have a version to work with (so there will be SL basic and SL Apex).

In terms of what I'll change - it'll mainly be taking enterable Apex buildings and using them to replace and diversify the A2 buildings already used. Enterable is important here; I don't want to stick too many non-enterable buildings in, unless they have some other compelling feature (like extensive ladders, roofs etc). I will very likely also change out some of the A2 bushes and trees that don't look great with the new A3 lighting (assuming CUP don't fix them first). 

I did consider changing out a lot of the port stuff (piers, cranes etc), but it [a] would be a ton of work and  would be only of marginal gain - the real life place SL is based on doesn't have the kind of cranes and piers you see in Tanoa. 

One thing I was a little disappointed with in Tanoa was the dearth of new underwater assets. Aside from mangroves (which aren't really underwater anyway), there really wasn't anything new to spice up the depths. 

So that's where we're at with an Apex-ized SL. If/when that changes, I'll let you all know! 

Map Grid - that is a PITA all right. I'll look to see what how this might be fixed. I noticed Makhno updated his terrain map grids, presumably for the same reasons - so there must be a solution out there. I'll stick this on the known issue list. Cheers for the bug report! 

• Like 1

You ask, I deliver (when it's not too difficult to fix). :)

Another minor update for SL. On Steam now and other mirrors soon. 

Beta v 1.32 (23/08/16)

FIXED: In-game map grid is no longer divided into two large-scale grid squares. This fixes some issues with the GPS coordinates and some features of ACE3. 

Thanks to Makhno for the pro-tip.

Let me know if this doesn't fix your mod problems. 

• Like 4

I do like the look of this map through the screenshots, because we really do need a map like this. Since the water environment has been done really well in Arma 3 and opens up a lot of possibilities for different situations. So can't wait to check this map out in person.

Super excited to see this map updated with apex assets. There's some cool stuff in there that would look excellent on this map. 

Super excited to see this map updated with apex assets. There's some cool stuff in there that would look excellent on this map. 

Yes...while the A2 buildings especially the industrial resources look great and blend in very well I honestly can not stand the A1 and A2 bushes and tress anymore. They really look horrible compared to the A3 plants especially when mixed together. Really looking forward to see this being updated using Apex vegetation :)

• Like 1