gaz1971

Whats happened to this community

the latest update  on arma 3 has the worst fatigue, and another thing i like to state is we need the old school weapones and jets and tanks for example like the m16's, ak's, as50 snipers, t90 tank , Abraham tank and so on just chuck in all the old school weapones and vehicles from arma 2 into amra 3 i am willing to pay  dlc 

Yea I'm not sure who the guy is that made the call to make ArmA 3 with concept stuff, but I'm guessing he seen 1 to many sh17y BF/COD commercials and thought it would be a great idea for ArmA.  If that guy can be tracked down he needs to be took out behind the wood shed and whipped with a stick!  :icon_slap:

Yea I'm not sure who the guy is that made the call to make ArmA 3 with concept stuff, but I'm guessing he seen 1 to many sh17y BF/COD commercials and thought it would be a great idea for ArmA.  If that guy can be tracked down he needs to be took out behind the wood shed and whipped with a stick!  :icon_slap:

*ahem* Actually that went all the way to the top...

After Operation Arrowhead, Bohemia decided to do something quite different, something science fiction, combining the talents of the acquired Altar Games studio in Brno (UFO trilogy) and Arma. "Fighting aliens, that was the concept," he says. "It was not a direct sequel originally but we wanted to experiment a bit - to crossover between the two genres we had in the company."

That's when Å panel picked the Greek island of Lemnos for the setting, albeit for something called Arma Futura rather than Arma 3. The design apparently changed towards something more RPG but still science-fiction and apocalyptic, rather than fighting aliens in real-time strategy battles on smaller islands. It could be a one-man show on a big chunk of land, the team decided. But as time wound on, it became less and less science-fiction and more and more Arma 3.

Fighting aliens, that was the concept, he says.

Wow I never knew that so Arma 3 was a military simulation made to kill aliens...does that mean Arma 4 will be like GTA a military simulation to jack tanks....  :face_palm:

oh dear god I'm not sure how much more I can take  :torture:

• Like 1

*cough* Actually, one way to interpret that (especially based on the first sentence) is that originally Arma 3 wasn't even supposed to happen... (Elsewhere Maruk stated that development began -- back when it was Futura presumably -- in the same year that OA was released.)

Fighting aliens, that was the concept, he says.

Wow I never knew that so Arma 3 was a military simulation made to kill aliens

Take out the military simulation part and you'd be closer to correct. :P Then again, to some degree if that article is to be believed then all three (before OFP:CWC got renamed) main Arma games were to some degree recycled:
  • ArmA: "recycled the streamlined Operation Flashpoint: Elite engine and set about making Armed Assault",
  • Arma 2: "stuck to modest ambitions for Arma 2, deciding that it should reuse the piles of assets created for the abandoned Game 2",
  • Arma 3: A repurposing of an unreleased game that was "not a direct sequel originally but we wanted to experiment a bit", with Lemnos having been chosen for that game...
Heck, the outgoing project lead said that part of the reason for Tanoa was that "we actually considered the Pacific setting for several, unfortunately cancelled projects in the past, so we're very happy that we finally get to explore it now."

I see a pattern...

They've done Cold War before. Maybe we can get them to do another one?

Please say you modelled a load of BAOR Cheiftans in your spare time Bohemia. I'd even be willing to relocate to Brno to come help you make that game :P

They've done Cold War before. Maybe we can get them to do another one?

Considering the origins of Arma 3 and that all of their other current games (not counting Arma Tactics) are survival sandbox...

Please say you modelled a load of BAOR Cheiftans in your spare time Bohemia. I'd even be willing to relocate to Brno to come help you make that game :P

... only for pettka to task you with making more 2035 armor. :P

Opening up the game to mainstream and reducing certain things that the game did well, in prior titles etc, doesn’t make the player-base fall away. It just doesn’t make them move along with the next title.

The editor has something to do with this too. For our group, its why we got into the series, haven't played or wanted to play any of the BI campaigns. It was just for the editor, to allow us to develop what we had already been doing for years prior to this series.

When you find something that works really well for a particular style of gaming you either already play, or one you may want to develop. Then you explore what you can do with it, if its good, then you stick with it.

For us it’s a hobby, wargaming is a hobby and has been since the mid 70’s. So when we get a game that we can get our teeth into, those teeth we have left of course ;) (nowadays anyway), we stick with it.

Just happens, we thought the original Arma was one of those games, and it was when it came out, better than OFP editor wise, for us at least, and we developed our gaming world and played it to death in the day. But then A2 came along and was, much better. So we did move along with the series. Indeed, we rebuilt our gaming world to a greater extent throughout A2, OA and the other dlc’s.

But we didn’t find that in A3, for us anyway, so we stayed put, where we were.

We all bought A3 thinking, if it proved to be a lesser game option for us, which it turns out, it did. Not editor wise, that is better, but much of what we have in A2, simply can't be put into A3 and remain stable, or is even available for A3. We knew we'd not move on if we were likely to lose too much from our already quite large gaming environment. Our A2 setup has everything our group needs. So we knew we'd stick with that, if we needed too.

Its not a case of what happened to the community, people come and go in every community, more-so in open ones, like this. Closed communities are much tighter, and you get much more longevity, real longevity. Especially when playing with old friends, or people that have become friends, via the game itself. This makes people enjoy the hobby even more, gives the group/community a good foundation.

No, I don’t think age of the players has much to do with it, the community just did what it always does, it evolves into something else, with different people. The game allows for that, it’s a open community, it will always be that way.

If you want a more settled, enjoyable environment, get into a closed group type community, or start your own. For a start you’ll get better gaming, for another, you’ll make some great friends.

Hi,

The ArmA Community just go down since ArmA II.

It's not in any link with Steam.

Just look at some mods. Stupid mods. Like the mod with a bus, a goat, and shit mines.

And worst, some mods are completely useless and not adapted to ArmA.

Many modders just let mods dying, and some others used unfounded arguments to justify the aberation of adding their names all over their creation ingame.

An example ? Nickname of an author in the registration plate and on a sticker at the bottom of the back window in the vehicles because like that "others can't get him out of credits in his mod"...  :blink:

This thing is just killing the quality of the content.

Another problem is the invasion of too many players that don't know how to play to a game like ArmA III.

You know, the way like in Counter-Strike or any other FPS for kids. Running, shooting, strafing, entering in a structure, firing, then moving back.

No organisation, no way to have any kind of realistic battles.

Absolutely no link with Steam. Just the overall community that is completely mess because too many people thinks that ArmA can be played like Counter-Strike.

In other words : "Me see, me shoot !".

Even if some survival mods are good, like "Zombies & Demons" or "RAVAGE", this kind of mods is completely unadapted to ArmA.

And theses mods are the reason for what we have a so bad community now. Many kids or bad mind players coming just to played these mods.

I completely let down the multiplayer since I see that there is absolutely no more ways to have what ArmA can give, the simulation aspect.

The AI is better than all the players we can find in the differents servers.

If we can have more realistic mods like in ArmA : Armed Assault (SLX) or ArmA II (unifinished ACE, I wonder if they will finish a version of ACE one day...) and less or no survival mods or stupid ones, and if those who create mods stops to stick their nickname everywhere on each creation, maybe we can find again a good community.

But even with that, I clearly have a doubt for that.

Steam is not the problem.

The human mentality is the problem.

Indeed, now people are whining about what modders are doing for free...

• Like 3

Totally.

I'd also say that, first we only had OFP / ArmA hardcore players

Then, with ArmA 2, came DayZ and Life mods.

And here is where everything broke down....

• Like 2

^ this. OFP and wargaming league? Can't remember the name attracted pretty much all milsim players from black hawk down and delta force games. ArmA was simply a continuation of this, especially with ACE. and even the beginnings of ArmA 2 as well. The Life and DayZ craze obviously changed ArmA 3's development path...

The Life and DayZ craze obviously changed ArmA 3's development path...

Not as much as you believe, considering the origins of Arma 3 that I already quoted...

Hi,

The ArmA Community just go down since ArmA II.

It's not in any link with Steam.

Just look at some mods. Stupid mods. Like the mod with a bus, a goat, and shit mines.

And worst, some mods are completely useless and not adapted to ArmA.

Many modders just let mods dying, and some others used unfounded arguments to justify the aberation of adding their names all over their creation ingame.

An example ? Nickname of an author in the registration plate and on a sticker at the bottom of the back window in the vehicles because like that "others can't get him out of credits in his mod"...  :blink:

This thing is just killing the quality of the content.

Another problem is the invasion of too many players that don't know how to play to a game like ArmA III.

You know, the way like in Counter-Strike or any other FPS for kids. Running, shooting, strafing, entering in a structure, firing, then moving back.

No organisation, no way to have any kind of realistic battles.

Absolutely no link with Steam. Just the overall community that is completely mess because too many people thinks that ArmA can be played like Counter-Strike.

In other words : "Me see, me shoot !".

Even if some survival mods are good, like "Zombies & Demons" or "RAVAGE", this kind of mods is completely unadapted to ArmA.

And theses mods are the reason for what we have a so bad community now. Many kids or bad mind players coming just to played these mods.

I completely let down the multiplayer since I see that there is absolutely no more ways to have what ArmA can give, the simulation aspect.

The AI is better than all the players we can find in the differents servers.

If we can have more realistic mods like in ArmA : Armed Assault (SLX) or ArmA II (unifinished ACE, I wonder if they will finish a version of ACE one day...) and less or no survival mods or stupid ones, and if those who create mods stops to stick their nickname everywhere on each creation, maybe we can find again a good community.

But even with that, I clearly have a doubt for that.

Modders can do whatever they want and aren't bound by what ArmA should or should not be. If certain mods (i.e. Day-Z, Life) affected the community in a fashion that doesn't correspond with a certain part of the community, that's another matter. Also, modders aren't obliged to continue on their work if they so choose, neither take into consideration what it's players wish for. It's a non-profit activity without any obligations.

• Like 1

Day-z ruined Arma. Arma runs terribly still and was not focused on properly. Very sad.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I have to agree. Took the focus away from team play to 'shoot first, ask questions later' play.

Life doesn't help, as it just allows 14 year olds to power trip as police officers, team-killers to shoot everyone, and basically forces people into the 'shoot first, ask questions later' playstyle.

It's amusing to see people complain about DayZ as if it were the only non-milsim mod of notability/name in the community, as if (for example) Operation Trebuchet and Imperial Assault didn't exist...

It's amusing to see people complain about DayZ as if it were the only non-milsim mod of notability/name in the community, as if (for example) Operation Trebuchet and Imperial Assault didn't exist...

You know , he obviously meant back in ArmA 2 - when Dayz mod did the big turning point in ArmA history 

• Like 1

You know , he obviously meant back in ArmA 2 - when Dayz mod did the big turning point in ArmA history

Yeah I don't believe Life and Wasteland would've been as big gamemodes. Community got big and things were dumbed down. Domination was kind of DayZ back in the Arma 2 but the servers were so few that it was easy to find everything else. DayZ killed the server browser (literally) with the huge amount of servers that cluttered the server browser. Now naturally DayZ isn't anymore in Arma but it has been replaced with couple gamemodes that clutter the browser.

I really blame a lot the server browser that this happened. It wasn't made for thousands of servers, only for couple hundred. When Arma doesn't have any basic gamemodes that makes the game, the community goes to what is the most popular. Every FPS has their base gamemodes that remain popular and you can always go back to them, but Arma is a different thing. It relay a lot on the community and dev support, so once something hits big, it really shows and everything else is buried. Then it's just waiting when the next thing hits big.

It's finally getting addressed. Then I hope to see official servers from Bohemia that host all kinds of modes, even some modded ones. These should be easily found when you filter official servers only. It would hopefully tell and show people easily that there are other gamemodes than the always current popular whatever mode is popular at the point.

I wonder how many gamemodes a basic Arma owner knows or can name and how easily they can find a new one? I don't actually even know too much myself. I don't understand how there aren't even a couple of basic AAS missions populating the browser. At least there's Invade & Annex or Domination and CTI or Warfare that have the Arma spirit.

I'm new to the world of Arma can someone explain what Steam is? Also I've noticed alot of people who I've spoken too don't seem to be too helpful either, I won't mention names as people may troll them and that won't be fair, they may just have personality problems.

Is there a section for what people are running on ie their setup?

Thanks all in advance! JATC

I'm new to the world of Arma can someone explain what Steam is? Also I've noticed alot of people who I've spoken too don't seem to be too helpful either, I won't mention names as people may troll them and that won't be fair, they may just have personality problems.

Is there a section for what people are running on ie their setup?

Thanks all in advance! JATC

http://store.steampowered.com/about/

It's finally getting addressed. Then I hope to see official servers from Bohemia that host all kinds of modes, even some modded ones. These should be easily found when you filter official servers only. It would hopefully tell and show people easily that there are other gamemodes than the always current popular whatever mode is popular at the point.

I wonder how many gamemodes a basic Arma owner knows or can name and how easily they can find a new one? I don't actually even know too much myself. I don't understand how there aren't even a couple of basic AAS missions populating the browser. At least there's Invade & Annex or Domination and CTI or Warfare that have the Arma spirit.

Keep an eye on the Launcher-based server browser, you can preview some of the changes in store here or take a look for yourself on dev branch and give feedback here, though there's no ETA on the filtering improvements beyond "should be a part of the final version."

What the title says.

And its since arma 3 went to steam. i run a UK group and am often on here looking for mods aswell as new members.

People post on here looking for groups to join, most of them give a shit explanation of what they are looking for, and what they offer, they rarely give their age or timezone or a way of contacting them, So the only way is by pm. then most don't even bother replying, or give you cheek when they do. I have been part of this community for some years. Is this progression ? Do we really need steam ?? I for one don't think we do,

So ... what you're saying is that you would like to pirate the game and share it across the world, and that Steam shouldn't be as secure as it is supposed to be?!? I think some users on this forum had forgotten the fact that ArmA 2 and its previous titles were also non-steam. The only reason why they switched ArmA 3 to Steam is because they want to constantly improve the game and its current/upcoming DLCs. If it switched to Origin, the same bloody question would still be asked, causing more unneeded fires. If you have internet issues, then you must solve that for yourself or asks others for some guidance. But I guess this question will be brought up again in the next year or so.

Congrats for asking the same question that was already answered 2-3 years ago.. :rofl:

er, really what is happening to this community? we have all the milsim mods for all the factions we might ever need most of which ported or scratch built to a high standard. we have a large amount of milsim communities and groups to join. and there are plenty more to come...

steam is what it is, its just a shop, so i think it stands to reason if you want to go find like minded individuals go to the places where they have always been found, online communities created for like minded individuals, namely BI forums and armaholic and the like. as arma becomes more popular the need to use specialised forums to find buddies will increase, thats just how it goes.

there are SO MANY forum posts all saying basically, 'when i were a lad arma was a real mans game, and all this was nought but fields'. well i am a reasonably new to the arma community and have had a pretty good experiance so far. in fact the only real rudeness and hostility i have met is from the steady stream of forum posts by people who claim to be arma stalwarts perpetually accusing anyone who's joined the arma franchise after ofp as being some kind of 14 year old delinquent KOS maniac. seriously its starting to feel personal! ;) no offence intended to aformentioned OFP stalwarts but c'mon guys, its never easy to watch something small and intimate spiral into a huge community but i'd say the pro's are both immediately obvious and by far outweigh the cons.

of all the games i own there is none which can even come close to arma3 when it comes to modding and gaming communities. so... is that whats wrong with the arma community?

I'm new to the world of Arma can someone explain what Steam is?

:459: there should be a medal for being able to ask that question! 

Edited by lordfrith
  • Like 1