codarl

Units moving terrible on my objects: Is the pathway LOD seporated?

I'm building a construction wich large building blocks. I'm having trouble getting AI to properly navigate them. They seem to move at around half-pace.

The blocks are 50^2 in size. Geometry works, Roadway works, Paths (essentially one 50X50 face with all the polygons named "IN1-4" ) do not seem to work.

I've noticed in Bis's configuration in Structures_F , that they seem to have seporated the path LOD from the model itself in large structures.

class CfgVehicles
{
	class Building;
	class Bridge_PathLod_base_F: Building
	{
		mapSize = 52.96;
		author = "$STR_A3_Bohemia_Interactive";
		_generalMacro = "Bridge_PathLod_base_F";
		scope = 0;
		scopeCurator = 0;
		displayName = "";
		model = "\A3\Weapons_F\empty.p3d";
		vehicleClass = "Structures_Infrastructure";
		destrType = "DestructNo";
		simulation = "house";
		armor = 500;
		cost = 0;
	};

and further on...

class CfgNonAIVehicles
{
	class Bridge_base_F
	{
		scope = 0;
		scopeCurator = 0;
		displayName = "$STR_A3_CfgNonAIVehicles_Land_Bridge_01_F0";
		model = "\A3\Weapons_F\empty.p3d";
		destrType = "DestructNo";
		simulation = "road";
		armor = 500;
		cost = 30000;
		class Destruction
		{
			animations[] = {};
		};
	};

Can anyone tell me what I'm missing that has changed since OFP 1.96?

Best regards,

Dennis

Well, one thing that has changed since OFP 1.96 is that BIS has seemingly released samples!

*applause*

Sadly, no much help there: The units that resemble my project the most (PMC bridge) dont have a path LOD, only a Roadway LOD which is identical to my setup. There is also no info as to why pathways sometimes have "big triangels" as entrypoint and sometimes just "start" somewhere, why 9 out of ten faces are quared, but not all of them, etc etc.

Do your paths start outside of the model boundaries? Or at least outside the geometry boundary.

At least for me paths did not work if the path entry points were inside the geometry boundary, but as soon as I moved them outside it they worked.

I did notice the same speed thing though. All units moving on the path moved in combat mode I think.

No use, building positions dont show up either when I want to make the AI walk over it.

everything is split up into smaller sections and triangulated. The pathway LOD starts c.a. 2 meter outside of the geometry LOD.

Heres how I got mine set up. The "in" points are like the one selected at the bottom right, single points in the fan. This is mainly because I just copied a piece from the sample as a starting point when I tried them out.

"pos" points are also single points just around the pathway. One thing comes in mind is that are your paths above the geometry? I think if they are in it, they don't show up. Not completely sure about this or if it was view geometry that blocked them but I think there was something in this that I had a problem with.

Paths.jpg

Right now they are about 20 centimeters above the geometry LOD.

I think i'm going to try copying the entire "demo" pathway LOD, see if it works, and try to expand it. I still wonder why the A3 models have "wavers" as entry points, whilst A2 models and OFP models dont. Is there an improvement in how they work?

Also on an unrelated note: What determines what LOD's the engine looks for? the fact that it's in CFGVehicles? or is it written somewhere in the inheritance? like "Simulation="house";" ?

Right now they are about 20 centimeters above the geometry LOD.

I think i'm going to try copying the entire "demo" pathway LOD, see if it works, and try to expand it. I still wonder why the A3 models have "wavers" as entry points, whilst A2 models and OFP models dont. Is there an improvement in how they work?

Also on an unrelated note: What determines what LOD's the engine looks for? the fact that it's in CFGVehicles? or is it written somewhere in the inheritance? like "Simulation="house";" ?

Copying it from the sample is a good way to debug the porblem. Dont have a clue why the shapes are like that as the "in" points are still just single points in the middle of them. 

What LODs engine looks for is probably hardcoded in the simulation type of the object since it also determines things like what animations a vehicle can use by default. (config.cpp simulation = carX / TankX / House etc etc OR named property type = house / building / tree for map placed objects)

Your question with the bridge and the NonAiVehicle (proxy) class may have something to do with how the driveable road is applied to the bridge building object, the pathlod is same with all bridges and the visual mesh is applied with proxy object.

Have not done it like that myself, but my last bridge was done in Arma 2

Today was a good day.

Paths still dont work when completely replaced with BIS's path LOD.

Bullets suddenly didn't collide with my model anymore, had to make a fire geometry to get it back

ArmA suddenly takes noticable longer to start up, probably did something in the config.

The object no longer spawns horizntal but terrain conformal, as NOT per the instructions in the config <.< 

But on the plus side I learned about property naming vs selection naming, which improved the behaviour of the object when placed via the map editor... yey~!