Just wanted to show my love for this mod, Its now made my Arma experience so much better. As a purely single player gamer I have always wanted to command large groups of units but there is a huge gap in mods that make single player gaming in Arma useful. So I just wanted to thank you for all the work you have done in creating this gem for the community and hope you continue in its development as I cant possibly go back to only commanding one squad in my missions anymore. This mod has completly transformed my Arma gaming to a whole new level  :)  :)  :)

• Like 2

Hi,

Thank you very much, as others said your mod is great, i would like to tell you that I specially like the fact that you respected the "vanilla" style to give the commands. You did not create complex GUI for example and for me it is a really good point.

BUT i have one problem : the "follow true" doesn't work for me, do i miss Something ? This is what I do :

1) Run the game with HCC only (no other mod)

2) Create a simple mission with only my squad, and squad 2, (and of course put all the hc modules.....)

3) In game, just select squad 2 then press 1 - 8 - 1 (follow true positional) or 1-8-2

4) Nothing happens, squad 2 does not follow me.

Everything else work.

Does someone can help me ?

Just wanted to show my love for this mod, Its now made my Arma experience so much better. As a purely single player gamer I have always wanted to command large groups of units but there is a huge gap in mods that make single player gaming in Arma useful. So I just wanted to thank you for all the work you have done in creating this gem for the community and hope you continue in its development as I cant possibly go back to only commanding one squad in my missions anymore. This mod has completly transformed my Arma gaming to a whole new level  :)  :)  :)

Hi,

Thank you very much, as others said your mod is great, i would like to tell you that I specially like the fact that you respected the "vanilla" style to give the commands. You did not create complex GUI for example and for me it is a really good point.

BUT i have one problem : the "follow true" doesn't work for me, do i miss Something ? This is what I do :

1) Run the game with HCC only (no other mod)

2) Create a simple mission with only my squad, and squad 2, (and of course put all the hc modules.....)

3) In game, just select squad 2 then press 1 - 8 - 1 (follow true positional) or 1-8-2

4) Nothing happens, squad 2 does not follow me.

Everything else work.

Does someone can help me ?

Thank you very much. I think you'll both enjoy the upcoming updates :)

@Thoms999 :

1. The HC modules are not mandatory at all, even though, since you are creating your own mission, I would recommend to build at least one standard HC setup for your own group if you plan to play as a curator while using RHS - That would prevent some initialization issues with RHS units. By default, the mod allows you to take control of any of your own group units in HC mode. To handle more groups, you just need to use the hcSetGroup command. Additional HC modules are unnecessary. See this post for a more detailed explanation.

2. In v.1.4.1, 'follow true' creates an array of groups and sets the first element as the array leader. That means that you can make several arrays of groups follow any other group and play with only the latters by using the 'Display leaders' command,  but that also means that if you as player want to lead another squad, you have to select both your own squad and the other one, and then hit 1-8-1 or 1-8-2.

This system is already changed in 1.4.2. 'Follow true' now automatically selects the most ranked group as the array leader and I have added a 'Follow me' command to take direct control over any group (or leader) you want. It should be released next week.

• Like 1

"you have to select both your own squad and the other one, and then hit 1-8-1 or 1-8-2.

Thanks ! This is exactly what I was missing ! It works !

Version : 1.4.2.0

This update lays the foundations for what should become a functional formation system at multiple High Command levels. Major changes in 1.4.2.0 are :

• Added a 'Follow Me' command to give the player direct leadership over any selected group, whatever its rank.
  • 'Follow true' has been renamed 'Define array As' and opens up a new submenu : Squad, Platoon or Company. You can only define arrays as Squads for the time being. The highest ranked group in the array is now automatically selected as the Array's leader and becomes available for the 'Display Leaders' command. So rank now matters.
  • 'Follow False' has been renamed 'Stop Following'. It frees a group from following its leader but no more erases its assigned array, meaning that a pre-defined formation can now be called back.
  • Added a 'Regroup' command in the groups HC root menu. The command is now effective even after a 'Stop Following' order. It splits into two subcommands :         
  •          - Regroup Subgroups :  selected array leaders (or player) regroup their immediate subordinate groups.
  •          - Return to Formation : selected subordinate groups return to their defined formation.
  • Added a 'Subgroups Mode' command in the HC Actions Menu (6-3). This enables the player to change a leader's subgroups mode (positional/directional) at will without having to redefine the whole array. You must have at least one leader selected to access this command.
  • Added a 'Display' command in the HC Actions Menu (6-0) to give access to all available display modes.
  • Added a 'Remove Group from HC bar' command in the HC Actions Menu (6-9).
  • Moved the '3D Icons ON/OFF' command in the HC reply menu (0-7/8).
+ a few other minor changes and fixes.

Exemple of use in a basic HCC mission with additional HC groups and two levels of command  :

1. Create 9 fireteams (3x3) + your own group as player.
  2. Give the player and 3 other group leaders a superior rank (not mandatory but recommended).
  3. Write : player hcSetGroup [group this] in every group leader's init field. More info in this post.
  4. Play the mission and switch to High Command (LCtrl+Space). Arrange the groups positions as you like using the map or 'Move' orders.
  5. Assign each group of 3 fireteams a color using HC menu 9 (not mandatory).
  6. Select a first group of 3 fireteams and hit 1-8-1 : 'Define Array As -> Squad'; Repeat for the two remaining groups of 3.
  7. Hit 6-0-0 : 'Display -> All leaders'. You now play with only your group and the 3 other squad leaders.
  8. Arrange the squad leaders positions as you like. Their subgroups will follow them.
  9. Select the squad leaders and hit 1-0 : 'Follow Me'. You've just defined the platoon formation. The squad leaders now follow you.
  10. Select the squad leaders and hit 1-9 : 'Stop Following'. They'll stop following you.
  11. Play as the platoon leader and send your squads around. Select 'Display -> all Groups' and 'Stop Following'  to free any subgroup from following their respective leader. Send the subgroups around.
  12. Select a leader and hit 'Regroup -> Regroup Subgroups' in the group root menu. His subgroups will return to the previously defined formation.
  13. Select the same leader and hit 'Regroup -> Return to Formation'. He should return with his subgroups to his defined position in your platoon formation.
  14. If you want to regroup all your squads, select your own group (or all groups including yours) and choose 'Regroup Subgroups'. 

​

2. In v.1.4.1, 'follow true' creates an array of groups and sets the first element as the array leader. That means that you can make several arrays of groups follow any other group and play with only the latters by using the 'Display leaders' command,  but that also means that if you as player want to lead another squad, you have to select both your own squad and the other one, and then hit 1-8-1 or 1-8-2.

Hi I must be missing something obvious, but I simply can not succeed in leading both my squad and another. This is my setup:

• I have loaded the mod. Running mod only, version 1.4.2
  • In the editor, I put down my avatar as a single blufor unit and right next to me a group of Blufor. I would like to command that other group.
  • Invoking HCC with LCtrl+Space, in the map I can click on my own single unit, but the other group has a red circle with a slash through it.
  • The HCC menus are greyed out, so 1-8-1 is not helping

I can simply not select the other group, I would be grateful for any hints as to what I am missing?

Cheers,

OP

Hi I must be missing something obvious, but I simply can not succeed in leading both my squad and another. This is my setup:

• I have loaded the mod. Running mod only, version 1.4.2
  • In the editor, I put down my avatar as a single blufor unit and right next to me a group of Blufor. I would like to command that other group.
  • Invoking HCC with LCtrl+Space, in the map I can click on my own single unit, but the other group has a red circle with a slash through it.
  • The HCC menus are greyed out, so 1-8-1 is not helping

I can simply not select the other group, I would be grateful for any hints as to what I am missing?

Cheers,

OP

Hi,

By default this mod provides tools  to convert any unit of your own squad into a controllable HC group - and back. But if you as a  mission designer want to give the player control over additional HC groups, just write : player hcSetGroup [group this] in the group leader's init field. Check out this post for more info.

Regards,

Hi Igitur, thanks for taking time to reply. So I guess what I wanted to do is not a feature. Makes sense that I could not get it to work then  :)

For me, I sometimes play missions created by others in SP and especially with some coop missions the team structure is not really set up for single player use. I end up next to three AI who are on my side but in another group and as such just stand there and I cannot command them or use them for anything.

So I can't really modify the mission, but such missions could be playable in SP if it was possible to command another group. I tried the High Command mod by duda123 and there it works, you can simply command any group on your side. However, at the moment your mod is more feature-rich with respect to waypoints, setting up patrols, etc. I am really impressed with what you have managed to include. If you are taking requests, then please consider if you could add that in at some stage. 

Thanks a lot,

OP

Hi Igitur, thanks for taking time to reply. So I guess what I wanted to do is not a feature. Makes sense that I could not get it to work then  :)

For me, I sometimes play missions created by others in SP and especially with some coop missions the team structure is not really set up for single player use. I end up next to three AI who are on my side but in another group and as such just stand there and I cannot command them or use them for anything.

So I can't really modify the mission, but such missions could be playable in SP if it was possible to command another group. I tried the High Command mod by duda123 and there it works, you can simply command any group on your side. However, at the moment your mod is more feature-rich with respect to waypoints, setting up patrols, etc. I am really impressed with what you have managed to include. If you are taking requests, then please consider if you could add that in at some stage. 

Thanks a lot,

OP

As a High Command mod, HCC obviously finds its true potential when used in a fully HC-designed mission, but I recognize there aren't many out there and that's why I've designed it to be usable in a regular game. I think it proves useful once you have more than 3 guys to manage.

But what your asking for could potentially break every scripted mission and be used for cheating in MP. I wont add such a feature, sorry.

However you've got a very valid point with the coop missions played SP. I coud perhaps implement a new command for that. Something like 'Add Unslotted MP Groups' (if that makes any sense in proper English). What do you think ?

• Like 1

As a High Command mod, HCC obviously finds its true potential when used in a fully HC-designed mission, but I recognize there aren't many out there and that's why I've designed it to be usable in a regular game. I think it proves useful once you have more than 3 guys to manage.

But what your asking for could potentially break every scripted mission and be used for cheating in MP. I wont add such a feature, sorry.

However you've got a very valid point with the coop missions played SP. I coud perhaps implement a new command for that. Something like 'Add Unslotted MP Groups' (if that makes any sense in proper English). What do you think ?

Igitur, that would be very useful. If it is not too much trouble, please do so when convenient for you.

Cheers,

OP

Igitur, that would be very useful. If it is not too much trouble, please do so when convenient for you.

Cheers,

OP

^^^THIS!

:D

Version : 1.4.2.1

Changelog :

• Fixed : You couldn't set waypoints while playing DUWS.
  • Added in HC Actions Menu : 6-7 : Add Vacant Groups of Side.
  •             In SP, the command  adds every vacant playable unit's group to the player's HC bar and turns every Coop into a playable SP mission.
  •             In MP, the command adds every vacant playable unit's group to the HC bar of the most ranked player of a side.
  • Every removed group can be called back using this command.       

Igitur, thanks for coming through on the Coop-to-SP feature :)

Version : 1.4.3

This version expands the definition of controllable arrays to Platoon and Company levels. A custom-made Chain of Command system has also been implemented to make the player able to command full arrays via their leader's group.

Changelog :

1. Fixed : performance loss due to the new module generation system.

2. Fixed  : the waypoints synchronization system wouldn't reload when resuming a saved mission.

3. Fixed : groups couldn't be switched back to the regular stances after a 'Copy my stance' order.

4. Added : Define Array As -> 2. Platoon - 3. Company. (HC Menu 1-8-(...)).

Defining up from the smallest (Squad) to the biggest (Company) makes the former follow the latter. Defining down from the biggest to the smallest frees the smaller group from following the bigger.

5. Added : Display -> 8. Platoon leaders - 9. Company leaders. (HC menu 6-0-(...)). The player's group is always considered a leader group.

6. Added : Chain of Command - > 1. Enable CoC for Subgroups - 2. Disable CoC for Subgroups.

The command is greyed out by default and becomes available as soon as at least one defined leader is selected. When enabled, the following orders can be passed from a leader to his subgroups :

Stance / Copy my stance / Combat mode (RoE) / Behaviour / enableAttack / Speed / Slow Vehicles / Copy speed / Allow GetIn / Get in-out Assigned Veh / Cargo load or unload.

The Chain of Command is designed to be used in combination with the  'Display Squad/Platoon/Company leaders' commands.

I'm lacking time for further testing this version and you may encounter some unexpected glitches. Thanks for reporting them in this thread.

​

Version : 1.4.3

This version expands the definition of controllable arrays to Platoon and Company levels. A custom-made Chain of Command system has also been implemented to make the player able to command full arrays via their leader's group.

Would you make another video tutorial covering some of these new features?  They sound really cool, but I can't quite understand what they do (or how to use them) just from the text.  Thanks again for such a great mod!!

On ‎19‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 11:30 PM, ravenleg said:

Would you make another video tutorial covering some of these new features?  They sound really cool, but I can't quite understand what they do (or how to use them) just from the text.  Thanks again for such a great mod!!

Yes, I'm aware that this is becoming slightly complicated and I plan to make a new video once the full formation system is completed. In the meantime, here is a step-by-step explanation that you might want to test in the editor. I'm expanding on the exemple provided in this post.

1. Create 9 fireteams + your own group as player. For convenience, place them on the map so as to make a big triangle of 9 groups made up of 3 smaller triangles of 3 groups. Place your own group outside the big triangle and write : player hcSetGroup [group this] in every fireteam leader's init field.
  2. Set the rank of the head triangle's leader as Captain. Set the rank of the left and right triangles leaders as Lieutenant.
  3. Play the mission and switch to High Command. You now have several options :
  • You can simply order the whole array to follow you : select all your groups manually or click on the map somewhere outside the biggest triangle's area and drag a square around the nine groups to select them all. Then hit 1-0-1 : 'Follow Me, Positional mode'. All your groups will follow you [and you will no longer be able to set waypoints for them. In order to free a group from following its leader (yourself in this case), you always have to select the group and hit 1-9 : 'Stop Following' -- Edit : no longer true. Issuing a WP is enough since 1.5.2] . You can then send it around and set waypoints again as you want. To call the group back to formation, you can either select its leader and use 'Regroup Subroups' (which would call back all that leader's subgroups) or select the group itself and use 'Return to Formation'. No leader but yourself wad defined in this basic setup, so you need to select your own group here if you want to use 'Regroup Subgroups'.
  • Now you can also drag a square around the big triangle to select the nine groups and hit 1-8-2 : Define Array As -> Platoon. The mod automatically spots the most ranked unit of the whole selected array and sets its group as the lead group. If you now select the 'Display Platoon leaders' page (6-0-8) you will find yourself with only two groups in your HC bar : your own group (which is always displayed) and the Platoon leader's group that you've just defined. Now that you have defined a leader, the Chain of Command system becomes available : select the platoon leader's group and hit 6-5-1 : 'Enable CoC for Subgroups'. Select the group again and hit 7-2 : 'Combat' (for instance). The group's units along with all its 8 subgroups units will switch to Combat mode. You're commanding the whole array with only one group.
  • If you have defined the Platoon out of the previously defined 'Follow Me' array, you'll notice that the groups no longer follow you. There are 4 levels of hierarchy implemented amongst the definable arrays. It goes from the player down to squad leaders this way : Player -> Company leaders -> Platoon leaders -> Squad leaders. Defining a new array out of a superior type cuts the new array from the previous one. Integrating an already defined array into a superior new one makes the former follow the latter. 
  • This means that, when defining the Platoon, you've set all its groups free from following you. You can send the platoon leader around and set waypoints for him, his subgroups will now follow him. You can also select the platoon leader and hit 'Follow Me'. He will follow you, while his subgroups follow him. The system works the same way at all levels of hierachy :
  • Starting from the smallest : Hit 6-0-1 : 'Display All Groups'. Drag a square around one of the three sub-triangles and define it as Squad. Repeat for the two other sub-triangles. Hit 6-0-7 :'Display Squad leaders'. You should now have the three Squad leaders groups in your HC bar, plus your own group. You can enable the Chain of Command for each of them. Send them wherever you want. Switch back to 'Display All Groups' and use 'Stop Following' [or just give the group a WP] to take control of each group or subgroup individually. Use 'Regroup Subgroups' or 'Return to Formation' to reconstitute the Squads.
  • Hit 6-0-7 : 'Display Squad Leaders' again. Select the three squad leaders and hit 1-8-2 : 'Define Array As -> Platoon'. You've now integrated the 3 squad arrays into a new superior one. Hit 6-0-8:  'Display Platoon Leaders' and select the group. Send it wherever you want (or use 'Follow Me' if you want). The squad leaders will follow him with their subgroups. Switch back to  'Display Squad Leader' (6-0-7) to take back control over each Squad leader individually.
  • Now you have that Captain who is a Group, a Squad and a Platoon leader at the same time. He could be a company leader as well. How can you select the commanding level of your choice ? [Edit :  

The process has been streamlined and is now based on this simple rule :

Display the platoon page to command at platoon level (6-0-8). Display the company page to command at company level (6-0-9). You're commanding the squad by default on any other page.

This principle applies to several critical leader commands :

. 6-3 : Subgroups mode (positional/directional).

. 6-4 : Subgroups formation (Wedge, Column, Circle, Line).

. 6-5 : Chain of Command (enable/disable).

. Regroup subgroups (HC root menu).

So if you want the captain to regroup his squad subgroups, stay on the squad page and use 'Regroup Subgroups'. If you want him to regroup his platoon subgroups, switch to the Platoon page and use 'Regroup Subgroups'. If you're on the 'All groups' page, he will regroup his squad subgroups].
  • You can of course replicate the system at company level : copy/paste the nine groups two time to get three platoons and define a company. Create as many companies as your processor allows you, use 'Display Company Leaders' and 'Enable CoC for Subgroups' to take control over a whole army while playing with only a few groups in your HC bar.
  • Edit : Arrays can be pre-defined in the mission init file since 1.5.2. Please check out the following post for more info : 1.5.2 Update

I hope this helps :)

Lot of great high command features! Any interest in combining efforts? I think my UI replacement for HC plus your features would be amazing.

• Like 1

Lot of great high command features! Any interest in combining efforts? I think my UI replacement for HC plus your features would be amazing.

Sorry for the delayed answer, I was on Holiday.

I'm totally happy with the default HC interface on which I can freely build and add my own features.. Your approach of High Command seems also very different of mine : you're giving everyone HC control over everything, when I want to avoid that at all cost.

I see no fundamental incompatiblity between the two mods though, provided you dont interfere with the standard interface. I'm open to any minor adjustment if necessary but I'd suggest to just let people use the two mods as they please.

Regards,

Sorry for the delayed answer, I was on Holiday.

I'm totally happy with the default HC interface on which I can freely build and add my own features.. Your approach of High Command seems also very different of mine : you're giving everyone HC control over everything, when I want to avoid that at all cost.

I see no fundamental incompatiblity between the two mods though, provided you dont interfere with the standard interface. I'm open to any minor adjustment if necessary but I'd suggest to just let people use the two mods as they please.

Regards,

No worries - sounds good to me. I don't mind keeping them separate but just wanted to ask.