leshrack

Lesh's Towing Mod 1.0 (2018-06-16)

following leshtow compatibillity pbo's are obsolete, since the addon makers have integrated leshtow-compatibillity into their mods, by themselves:

leshtow_fw_f14_configs

leshtow_jcjs_f18_configs

leshtow_jcjs_su35_configs

Hi Lesh,

what is the simplest way I can make my aircraft compatible? Can I add a point in my memory LOD instead of measuring offsets : ) ?

@Madpat3 Indeed those compat pbo's are now obsolete. As for the CH-53 looks like either a typo or a change in the coordinate system for the chopper has occured at some point. The tow point is configured but it is underground. The correct axis offset seems to be [0,7.5,1] (if its too close to the nose you can increase the 7.5 as needed). Also due to the hierarchy you only have to set it to the class "rhsusf_CH53E_USMC". Don't forget to inherit the Helicopter base class for it.

@[Dust]Sabre: At the current time only the config way is supported. Personally i have figured them out in game using a "Sign_Sphere25cm_F" and attaching it to the plane. Getting the point to be at around 1m off the ground is somewhat critical and figured changing configs to match is a whole lot easier compared to a mempoint. I was going to add an additional way to add them during runtime / missionsmaking so in cases of unsupported planes/choppers the missionmaker can set the correct variables to the vehicle. I can at the same time add a check for a memorypoint i guess. I'm aiming to do an upgrade at around the same time as Jets DLC releases. So i guess you can go ahead and add a memory point called "towPoint" and i'll add a check for that for the next update.

• Like 1

that would be awesome. with the number of planes I have to maintain this would make it a lot easier : D

many thanks for considering it!

On 27.3.2017 at 6:53 PM, leshrack said:

As for the CH-53 looks like either a typo or a change in the coordinate system for the chopper has occured at some point. The tow point is configured but it is underground. The correct axis offset seems to be [0,7.5,1] (if its too close to the nose you can increase the 7.5 as needed). Also due to the hierarchy you only have to set it to the class "rhsusf_CH53E_USMC". Don't forget to inherit the Helicopter base class for it.

I have reported the issue to RHS. It is already fixed and will be within the next update of RHS.

As far as I'm aware, the towing point is underground somewhere, or at least I think I remember reading somewhere (Either here, or on the F16 post). I've reported it to Firewill but I'm not sure if he needs to config it or what needs to happen.

rules #1 - blame the firewill if doesn't work anything

LESH_canBeTowed = 1;
LESH_towFromFront = 1;
LESH_AxisOffsetTarget[] = {0,9.5,-1.5}; - value is different on each aircraft
LESH_WheelOffset[] = {0,-3};            

in config of every my aircraft

always my fault. even that values from lesh.

4 hours ago, firewill said:

LESH_canBeTowed = 1;
LESH_towFromFront = 1;

Noooooo, we don't blame the Firewill. Never shall we blame the Firewill!

I just wasn't sure how the config works, whether it's something in one mod or another. It's not important anyway, sorry if it sounds like I was passing blame there, man.

I'm not concerned about towing at all, our service areas in missions are designed so that jets can deive through them like a McDonalds.

On 19.5.2017 at 10:18 AM, [VW]Wrath said:

Noooooo, we don't blame the Firewill. Never shall we blame the Firewill!

NEVER!!!:evil:

On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 9:15 PM, firewill said:

LESH_canBeTowed = 1;
LESH_towFromFront = 1;
LESH_AxisOffsetTarget[] = {0,8,0.1};
LESH_WheelOffset[] = {0,-2};

LESH_canBeTowed = 1;
LESH_towFromFront = 1;

Hey Firewill,

The z axis is too low in the Lesh Tow variables. I edited the z axis on all your vehicles and I now have towing working on them all.

Here are the settings that work.

A-10 All Variants

LESH_canBeTowed = 1;
LESH_towFromFront = 1;
LESH_AxisOffsetTarget[] = {0,8,0.1};

F-2 All Variants

LESH_canBeTowed = 1;
LESH_towFromFront = 1;
LESH_AxisOffsetTarget[] = {0,8,-0.75};

F-14 All Variants

LESH_canBeTowed = 1;
LESH_towFromFront = 1;
LESH_AxisOffsetTarget[] = {0,9.5,-0.6};

F-15 All Variants

LESH_canBeTowed = 1;
LESH_towFromFront = 1;
LESH_AxisOffsetTarget[] = {0,9.5,-1.1};

F-16 All Variants

LESH_canBeTowed = 1;
LESH_towFromFront = 1;
LESH_AxisOffsetTarget[] = {0,8,-0.75};

Love your planes they are top notch would love to see this updated so I can use them with Lesh's towing mod. Seems the settings you received from Lesh are either wrong or out of date. I say leave ego out of it and lets just get things functional. Thanks for all your work and looking forward to seeing your planes improve even more thanks.

Also Leshrack thanks for the great towing mod. Hope we see an update soon.

is this mod still developed? the new planes from the jet's dlc don't seem to be supported!

9 hours ago, madpat3 said:

is this mod still developed? the new planes from the jet's dlc don't seem to be supported!

It hasn't been updated for awhile. The author stated that he planned on releasing an update but wanted to wait for the Jets DLC so I imagine it's in the works now that it has been released. There is also a way to make vehicles tow compatible with cfg files.

Hey, i dont seem to be able to get this to work with Airfield Logistics by Peral, i moved the pbo's into the addon folder and my game just crashes when i try and launch it, it says the data file is to short or something, please help

Im trying to use this mod but when i try to tow a plane it just says "vehicle cant tow" no matter what plane or tow truck i use it doesnt work, can anyone help me?

It works fine, just used it the other day without a problem with the CUP tractor and John_Spartan/Saul's F/A-18.

Here's a little test mission using only vanilla vehicles: https://www.dropbox.com/s/u2o6e6lczljj02s/towing.VR.7z?dl=0 Take over control of the UGV and hit shift-b as driver, should show you that the distance is too big, then do some manoeuvring and finally tow :)

• Like 1

Have you thought about making the mod a module so that it isn't necessary to go in and change the configs?

On 14.9.2016 at 8:43 PM, leshrack said:

I might make a seperate mod for that at some point. I'd have to speak with Peral / the cup guys about it. But at this point its not in the plans. I'm struggling to find time to make the improvements that i want as it is :)

any progress (the ugv-stomper is so uncomfortable)?

Hey guys,

I have been away from this thread and project for quite some time. But this last weekend I ended up reopening the files and working on it for a bunch of hours. As a result later this week pending some more testing there will be an update that includes:

- steam workshop release

- configs for the *new* dlc air assets

- reworked scripts (taking advantage of new scripting commands)

- new rotate function to fix the problem with assets that have their modelspace 0,0,0 far removed from the rear axis making it look wonky when towed

- ability to override the config values on a vehicle with setVariable (either override existing config values of give some unconfigured object values in the mission editor or during runtime)

- and last but not least the ability tow vehicles with people in them. (disclaimer: might result in explosions in laggy environments)

As a side effect to the last change the speed limiter is now off by default and it can cause damage on some vehicles when going at higher speeds (at least the ghosthawk will get damaged with higher speeds) and i take no responsibility for any explosions caused by this mod :)

Additionally I will be making the mod a public git repository allowing for pull requests to be made by the community. Hopefully if people run into config issues they can make a fix for me to approve and publish instead of relying on me to find the time to do so. Any improvements and other fixes are obviously welcome as well.

-Lesh

madpat3: There will be no mod for a separate towing tractor from me unfortunately. I just don't have the time or interest to invest in such project at this time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 4.6.2018 at 9:23 AM, leshrack said:

madpat3: There will be no mod for a separate towing tractor from me unfortunately. I just don't have the time or interest to invest in such project at this time.

how about, if i try to contact peral (peral-airfield-logistic) and ask him for permission, for you to include his towing tractors into your mod?

it's so sad, that bohemia integrated a towing tractor, since the jets dlc, but a none functional. 

Edited by madpat3

Hey guys the day is finally here. Version 1.0 now available on steam workshop as well as separate download.

Changelist:
    - Added Arma 3 DLC vehicles to the configurations
    - Added ability to tow vehicles that are manned by other players or AI
    - Added debug function to determine the locations of tow points ([vehicle] call LESH_towing_fnc_debug and [vehicle] call LESH_towing_fnc_removeDebug)
    - Added ability to define tow points on runtime for specific vehicles (this will override config values if those exists) which can be used to add the ability to tow something that doesn't have configs or override something where it is slightly off
    - Added custom setDirection function to allow rotation around any point of the vehicle instead of [0,0] in model space (makes bigger planes work better)
    - Improved the towing function to use a slightly better speed calculation
    - Removed the optionals (most were already integrated and they don't really play nice with the workshop)

With this release i will go back into not working on this :) if anyeone wants to improve upon the mod or volunteer configurations that their respective content owners arent willing or able to add themselves make a pull request at https://bitbucket.org/Leshrack/leshtowing/

Optional configs can be released separately on the workshop with the proper requirements setup by anyone if they wish to do so

• Thanks 3

Hi @leshrack , thanks for your awesome work ! We rely on your mod since a long time to get our choppers and planes out of their comfortable nest every time we need to bring Hell to the enemy !

I'm very glad to see this small but essential mod updated. I wonder, have you ever thought to render the tow bar between vehicles ? A very simple 3D model with its position updated with the aircraft and tower movement would be very good looking. As you are thinking to set a github, maybe someone will have something to give you for this !

Excellent mod !!

I tried this: this setVariable ["LESH_towFromFront", 0]; but it seems it's not taken into account. I defined the parameter for a CUP M119 and the yellow point is a bit ahead of the gun, whether I put 0 or 1 on this value. Any clue on what I'm doing wrong ?

Thx !

@Cheitan Yes i have been thinking about it occasionally. But currently there are still too many challenges involved in getting it to work nicely. I've made the repository public at bitbucket https://bitbucket.org/Leshrack/leshtowing/src/master/leshTow/ . I had some prototypes which modeled the math right for the plane being towed with a bar inbetween. Which was basically a tow bar towing the plane and the towing vehicle towing the towbar. But due to physics the towbar itself just sits on the ground and it'll be difficult to get the height and angles right so that it looks even remotely close to the points it is supposed to be attached to.

@1212PDMCDMPPM That value doesn't actually move the point around. It is only used to determine if the vehicle needs to be rotated 180 degrees when it is being towed. To move the point forward or backwards you'll need to adjust the axisOffsetTarget value. (the middle number is the one that controls forward/backwards). Having the axisoffsetTarget at the rear of a vehicle and having towFromFront as 1 you'll see the object rapidly being turned around this way and that as the math doesn't check out.

• Like 1

Sorry for the misunderstanding on my side. I'll check it again.

Thx for the answer ! 

EDIT:

@leshrack Working like a charm !! :don12:

Edited by 1212PDMCDMPPM
after test