_Krok

How can I create my own ground texture?

Hello everyone!

I'm currently working on my own map "Vormsi" (inspired by the Estonian Island) and I'd like to add a few custom ground textures to it.

I have a few (3-5) jpgs and I've totally no clue of how to export them to ppas. :/ Does anyone know how to?

Greetings,

Paul

• Like 1

Hello! Well, once you made your texture seamless, you have to create a nopx version (Normalmap), so you have to use some tools like Crazybump or some good photoshop plugin from Nvidia that allow to create a normal map from any texture from Photoshop. (https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-texture-tools-adobe-photoshop). CrazyBump it's fine but not fully free (free trial). I especially love the Nvidia Plugin because it's more easier to work with and you don't have to exit photoshop :D.

Now, save your both files (texture and normalmap) as .png or .jpg (I find PNG the best for textures), Once it's done, you have to export them as .paa to do this, go on Arma 3 Tools Launcher -> TexView2 (or P:\TexView2\TexView2.exe), select your textures and save them as .paa

for example :

• ATP_Pebbles_co.paa (Texture)
  • ATP_Pebbles_nopx.paa (NM)

Then you have juste to use it in your terrain.

• Like 1

If you type mindtex in steam you can get a good tool there. I asked this on the skype channel. Bushlurker pointed me to it. Works just as good and saves you 95% of what crazy bump costs.

The program works using sliders, so you can basically play around with what textured nopx file you want.

• Like 2

Thanks for the fast Response! Well, shortly after I posted this Topic, I found out that I've got to use .pngs to get a working texture in TexView2 :)

There's just one Thing: I don't have Adobe PS nor the Money to buy mindtex :/

I'll remember what you both said (already pinned this topic on my task bar ;))!

Another question: My Oxygen 2 isn't working atm (for reasons..), but how can create my own clutter? I've opened A2s clutter via TexView and saw how they are set up.

Is it hard to create some custom grass? Fitting to Estonias climate? I'll also need some wet, swam-like grass.. Any tips? Some nice looking, fitting grass?

Thanks my freinds!

Paul