Sign in to follow this  
bullbearings

Performance in my opinion is odd

However you may see some validity in this topic.

Alright so I'm sure many of you are aware that the optimization in Arma is, to be blunt, s**t.

However I noticed something when I was monitoring the performance of the PC under different circumstances (using MSI Afterburner (GPU) and Task Manager (CPU)) and I noticed that at no time did Arma actually utilize my GPU or CPU to 100% even thought the FPS was struggling horrendously.

I'm not too aware of how games really work but I would imagine that surely if your frame rate is low, the game should always try and achieve if not the highest, a good stable 60 FPS, this is not the case. Arma barely utilized my CPU (maximum probably 20%) and GPU spiked to around 60% usage but never reached 100%.

I spawned about 50 Infantry units to be annihilated by a platoon of tanks, FPS dropped to a mere 5 FPS, however CPU/GPU just never reached something like 80%.

Okay so I've asked regarding this about a few other games and various people have given me responses like "This game is very math orientated which mean it will use the CPU a lot, your CPU is really bad so you should change it out". To me that's actually pretty helpful but yeah could've explained a bit more.

Okay so this could go either way -

1. Arma is optimized poorly for AMD/Nvidia hardware and fails to utilize them enough

2. My components are too under powered to actually run Arma at get a stable FPS

3. There's something else I should consider doing, which may be my issue

I would appreciate any answer, even if you're telling me this is the wrong section and you're shutting down my thread.

-------------------------------------------

I should probably put my PC specs here -

Processor - AMD FX8350 8 Core Processor @4GHz

Graphics Card - MSI GTX 960 2G GDDR5

RAM - 12GB Hyper Fury X

HDD - Some random HDD

My launch settings (via Arma launcher) -

No intro

No splash

CPU Count = 8

Enabled Hyper Threading 

malloc = -malloc=system

maxmem = 12033

maxvram = 2049

1. Arma is optimized poorly for AMD hardware and fails to utilize them enough

- GPUs are okay. They just can't utilize themselves fully because of other bottlenecks. The rendering doesn't go enough fast through the processor so that's why GPU utilization can be low. There just is no work to do for the GPU when it's waiting for other stuff.

2. My components are too under powered to actually run Arma at get a stable FPS

It's those combined. Arma doesn't like too much AMD CPUs, so they're underpowered for Arma and the engine isn't so optimized that it could utilize CPUs to get full usage in them. AMD single core perormance and all that isn't par with Intel.The engine pushes a lot of stuff through the first core and when that boggles down, everything else also gets the same effect.

If your 'random HDD' is not an SSD drive I would recommend picking one up.

I am using about 95% of mine 980ti and 85% of my cpu