Sign in to follow this  
tacticalnuggets

why play ofp?

That's a good question, i'll give my own answer to it (considering i've played all iterations of ArmA games) :

• i'm using it as a modding hobby and the modding process suits my needs : i can make a full mod in a limited period of time (even if i'm working slowly, when i feel to), including island making/adapting, animations, scripting, modeling and texturing units, in the time i would need to create a single rifle for ArmA3 ; a hobby is a hobby, not a job ;
  • with limited skills, i can create things that are enough good looking for my needs ; for me, modding is an alternative to historical figures painting ;
  • the engine is limited, but the AI is much more enjoyable for me than A2 or A3 ones : it is straightforward : AI attacks efficiently, retreats when needed, has believable dammage/wound system, isn't too much a burden on CPU (apart from pathfinding) ; all i would need is a FSM editor for OFP ;
  • the graphical aspect : with visual enhancement mods (Kenoxite OFPMaterial, Dxdll etc.), it looks quite nice on modern systems, and some islands are really nice looking (Nogova for example) ;
  • the campaigns : OFP campaigns are the best of the serie, and playing them with updated units (Sanctuary WW4 replacement mods or mods based upon it) is a real pleasure ;
  • the mods : the available mods for OFP are SO NUMEROUS, suiting everyone's needs, covering every historical eras etc. When i look at ArmA3 modding scene, i'm really heartbroken...so few interesting mods...mostly retextures of existing things...pathetic to say the least. The main cause is that modding has become extremely complex to be good looking in the game (apart simple retexturing or customizing), and people can't spend so many hours to do so simple things. In OFP, you can enjoy doing simple things in a few hours.

Worth a try.

• Like 6

Why play this old game when new games, based on same engine, have come out?

Those new games in terms of AI hadn't made really big progress. In some aspects AI became better, in some ways - worse.

And amount of unique (not retexture of vanilla models) user-made content made for OFP is really huge. None of ArmA games had been achieved this level. 

Why not? People still play UT99, Quake II, C-S 1.6, System Shock 2, Doom II, etc. despite these games having graphically superior successors. To me, OFP is a classic game that I find more enjoyable than ArmA 1-3. That's just my taste. Also, it's easier to mod OFP than the newer games in the series and there is tons of user created content with new stuff still comming out. It's also a bit less demanding than the newer games so people with older/weaker systems can play too.

edit: agreed with ProfTournesol. OFP is still a very viable platform for modding for both, newcommers and experienced user content makers.

• Like 2

Why play this old game when new games, based on same engine, have come out?

Because even with all its faults, it's still better than your mom.

• Like 1

My answer would be pretty much identical to the professor's, with the only difference being the theme of my mods. Doing SciFi in Arma 2 or 3 would come with a painful workload. I'm already familiar with the OFP engine, I've been prodding it since over 10 years. Creating spaceship interiors, new units (not just retextures), new guns, scripts and config files is just so much easier in this engine. It might not have as many features as the newer VBS engines, but that's not necessarily a problem.

... Also, I'm still running on XP with an inappropriately old PC, so that's a good reason too.

• Like 2

All the reasons mentioned above. And the fact that while most of us appreciate a good looking game, it's not always enough. Bear in mind that many of the people still modding for OFP/CWA are fairly experienced. Don't make the mistake of thinking it's a lack of ability that keeps us all here.

I can only speak for myself, but I have no problem dealing with high resolution sub-d modelling and sculpting. Or the process of baking those details down to low poly models. I'm also quite comfortable with texturing, animating and sound editing.

There's always been snobbery where gaming is concerned. Particularly involving hardware. There are many people who simply don't have the funds to buy high end machines, for a variety of reasons. That's just the way it is. This and other older titles can cater for that. What I don't get is why that's an issue for some folks.

If there's one thing you won't see me doing, it's being apologetic about playing/modding for this game. :)

One more thing. As the community has shrunk, so the level of respect has generally increased between existing members. Even where opinion differs. This obviously isn't limited to this game, as that happens with many communities.

That has it's own appeal.

• Like 4

I love the sheer mods available for OFP and how you can edit and create co-op missions to play with my friends. Other ARMA games let you do this too, but OFP still has an awesome amount of great mods.

And honestly, I've tried the campaigns from ARMA 1 / 2 and found those from OFP (especially OFP Resistance) are much more believable and enjoyable, although also more difficult

• Like 1

I've been playing OFP since 2003 and it's the only game i still haven't gotten sick of, after all this time, there's always stuff you'll find yourself doing, different solo-projects that keep me in the game.

• Like 2

OFP/ArmA:CWA might be ancient in software terms but it works on every computer. Even the shittiest laptops can run it. Add the tons of available mods and missions and you'll have the ultimate fun generator.

• Like 2

For the same reasons people still go back to playing Pong, Galaga, Donkey Kong, Space Invaders, etc. Graphics don't make the game... the gameplay does... hence the word "game" in "gameplay". Plus all the reasons listed by other people here. If you want an interactive art piece, go ahead and play the newer games. In my opinion, there's not much, if any, charm anymore in games. This is why I play UT99, OFP1, C&C '95, etc. Now I know that my first few games I listed aren't moddable, but that was more toward the graphics argument. I'll just quote myself from another forum I frequent (because I mod Sta Wars: Battlefront 2 as well):

I agree with those saying that the game and its modding community aren't dead...far from it actually. As an example...right now I'm modding for Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis (re-released under Arma: Cold War Assault) and I've had support from several good members of the Bohemia Interactive Studios modding community. OFP/CWA is on an engine from 2001, which, as Teancum said with Dark Forces/Jedi Knight saga, are horrible graphics compared to today's standards (although, several "HD" mods are available for it). I guess what I am saying is that, regardless of the game and regardless of the franchise - if a community is really dedicated to it, it will never truly die. I realize that the game I mentioned isn't SWBF related, or for that fact Star Wars at all (although there are Star Wars addons for it out there), but I think it serves as a perfect example of how moddability, gameplay, and adaptability is more important than HD graphics quality. If people keep going back to games like Dark Forces '95 and C&C: Tiberian Dawn, etc., then you know those games were a major success. I still go back and play Tetris and Pong from time to time. I think the most recent game I've played was Galaga (I never got to experience true arcade, because I was born in 1990). My point here is that a lot of gamers are usually really dedicated to the games they love and grew up with and have stayed with their respective hardcore communities for ages. SWBF 1 & 2 are no exception here. I have seen people mod DF95, unless I'm imagining things. Correct me if I am wrong.

you never know that OFP is better than arma the whole family in the most aspect

I always considered ArmA II absolutely superior to OFP, and in many ways it is still way superior in gameply and functionality to ArmA III. But ArmA III is currently advancing into the right direction again.

I'll give you that Arma II and III have a lot of features that OFP lacks (not dying in water, higher amount of units on field at once, animations, artillery features in base game, convenient editor interface/features, etc), and I do enjoy playing them, however OFP can run on most peoples' systems and isn't near as graphically demanding as the later games in the series. Some people just can't afford a newer desktop (or laptop) and also some people don't necessarily have sustaining jobs that can acquire a copy of the newer games, nor...again, a better rig.

I'm happy I have a laptop (which I'm using right now to mod OFP) that can handle Arma II (albeit at lower settings) and can semi-enjoy it without a lot of performance hits (I'm lucky a friend of mine built me a capable desktop for free, pretty much), and also a copy of Arma III with all the DLC (save for Jets, which I'm waiting for money to get). But pretty much 100% of the time I prefer playing good 'ol OFP. I didn't even get to play it during its peak back when it was released in 2001. I got it well into the late 2000's, I think 2009-2010...and the only multiplayer I've experienced was some nice co-op sessions with @anguis, @marto, @Bielow, @zulu1, @Overlord, and others (also played quite a bit of Arma II co-op with @Variable and the rest of the CiA crew). Despite it being out for 16 years, it's still a fantastic and fun game. It's not outdated, obsolete, whatever terminology people use. If people still play it, enjoy it...hell even remember it, it's still relevant to today's players. I don't think this is really nostalgia talking, because as I said....I didn't get into the OFP scene until it was past its peak.

I think my argument last year in April still holds up to be honest (and I usually don't even value my own opinions).

• Like 1

Revan, you name dropper :thanx:

I started playing back near 2002-2003 with the demo. The old coop groups were a lot of fun which I got involved with around 2003-2004. Then finally joined the forum in 2006.

Coop Servers played:

[VS] Vet Squad

[Recon]

COB (Clan of Brothers)

[LOL]

[CiA] (Both FDF and WGL)

FragHaus

Plus many others unable to mention them all.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, zulu1 said:

Revan, you name dropper :thanx:

I started playing back near 2002-2003 with the demo. The old coop groups were a lot of fun which I got involved with around 2003-2004. Then finally joined the forum in 2006.

Coop Servers played:

[VS] Vet Squad

[Recon]

COB (Clan of Brothers)

[LOL]

[CiA] (Both FDF and WGL)

FragHaus

Plus many others unable to mention them all.

You're welcome, man! Oh man, I can't believe I forgot to mention playing on the [LOL] server! I remember one mission involving Delta Force operatives and at one point I had an M82 Barret and tried to provide sniper cover (epic fail, mind you). If I had the time (and not have a two year old daughter running around all over the place), I'd be able to play some more classic co-op in WGL and FDF, and maybe WW4 if people are still playing - I'll have to login to the forums there. SP can only be so fun after awhile dealing with AI teammates being...well, dumb (even with AI mods. :p). Anyways, that conversation is probably best saved for PM or the forum thread Anguis started. :)

Still wish I could play during the old times. Playing with [CIA] was always fun as well. Goes to show this game is FAR FROM being outdated. #KeepOFPAlive

On 01.08.2017 at 1:43 AM, revan9190 said:

however OFP can run on most peoples' systems and isn't near as graphically demanding as the later games in the series.

I have to disagree, comparing OFP and ArmA2 on my PC the latter runs even faster with the same view distance and better graphics. But despite this I still play OFP because of infinite number of addons and mods. Recreation of almost every conflict is possible in OFP.

• Like 3

Actually that's true for me too. I didn't expect A2 to run well at all. But it runs comparatively better despite the fact the models, environments and textures are far more detailed. Having said that the majority of people I find using Flashpoint/CWA today are getting good results on what some would consider low-end machines. So I can see the appeal for someone who's not an avid gamer, and can't or won't justify the expense of keeping up with newer titles.

Besides the extensive back catalogue of content, it's arguably more accessible to someone who just wants to tinker around with modding, and get something simple in game. Or construct a short firefight mission. The visuals don't enter into it much at this point. We all know there's lots of visually impressive games out there. And good ones too.

I was going to say it was nostalgia based with me. But when I look at it, it's more about familiarity with the tools and constructing things. I never really got into the "play" side of it. I never thought it was the best game on the market. Because I've never really looked at it as just a game. Although I still think the original campaign was one of the best I've ever encountered.

The people I'm meeting these days are more interested in building, rather than playing. Not that they don't like testing their creations out. But it doesn't seem to be the focus.

9 hours ago, spooky lynx said:

I have to disagree, comparing OFP and ArmA2 on my PC the latter runs even faster with the same view distance and better graphics. But despite this I still play OFP because of infinite number of addons and mods. Recreation of almost every conflict is possible in OFP.

Now that you mention it, yeah that's fair. I kind of didn't expect ArmA 2 to run as good on this laptop because of my system specs. And ArmA: Armed Assault/Combat Operations runs crappier on it compared to OFP and ArmA 2, so I guess it's different for everyone. Didn't mean to make assumptions. I guess I was more talking from my experience on it and....well I can kind of run Arma 3 on this one a bit, but I can't do bigger than a few squads or my CPU tries to catch on fire. It's even worse in the new 3D editor (because they got rid of the 2D editor altogether in favor for that new interface). 

This is why I'm getting a new desktop running so that I can play with my brethren, the Comrades in Arms, but I'd still like to play OFP multiplayer with Anguis and the others, and maybe if the LOL servers are going, play some LOL WW4 and LOL WW2/Vietnam. :P I'll have a better means of comparing the games to one another in terms of detail and performance. One good thing is for certain, at least in the later games your character can swim without dying, unless you're using CoC Divers. :P Otherwise, I'm perfectly content with all the amazing addons that are offered (also proud of contributing addons to the community myself with the C&C BR mod. :) Anyone that enjoys it, I'm glad).

If you'll excuse me, I'm going to go play some BAS Tonal Redux and listen to the District 9 soundtrack...and also continue with the next C&C BR trailer. :P I'll reply to anyone still wishing to continue the discussion further. Ciao.

Edited by revan9190
Forgot to say something. :P

20 hours ago, Macser said:

Actually that's true for me too. I didn't expect A2 to run well at all. But it runs comparatively better despite the fact the models, environments and textures are far more detailed.

Unfortunately OFP engine has troubles with using all the resources  of PC, that's why sometimes I still get CTD because of RAM shortage even with -nomap command in shortcut. BTW with the DSR function in NVidia drivers I got more stable and fast run of OFP.

11 hours ago, revan9190 said:

Now that you mention it, yeah that's fair. I kind of didn't expect ArmA 2 to run as good on this laptop because of my system specs. And ArmA: Armed Assault/Combat Operations runs crappier on it compared to OFP and ArmA 2, so I guess it's different for everyone.

Oh... ArmA1 was really worst one.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2017 at 4:29 AM, spooky lynx said:

Unfortunately OFP engine has troubles with using all the resources  of PC, that's why sometimes I still get CTD because of RAM shortage even with -nomap command in shortcut. BTW with the DSR function in NVidia drivers I got more stable and fast run of OFP.

Oh... ArmA1 was really worst one.

I could run Arma 1 just fine on my older desktop, for some reason, especially Multiplayer. Not sure why that was.

Yeah, the RAM shortage really is a problem that I've noticed.

17 hours ago, revan9190 said:

I could run Arma 1 just fine on my older desktop, for some reason, especially Multiplayer. Not sure why that was.

Yeah, the RAM shortage really is a problem that I've noticed.

Has anyone here noticed any significant changes after applying the 4GB aware patch that was posted here a while back or the Windows Game mode?