arkhir

ACE3xRHS fragmentation configs

This tiny mod fixes RHS grenades and some other explosives, removing the inherited ACE3 fragmentation effect where it's unneeded, and adding it where it should be.

All values are realistic and based on sources I could find on the internet, including US Army field manuals, Bulgarian OG-7 round manufacter website and SAAB-Bofors documentation. Missing data was replaced by realistic, but made-up values. Feel free to update me on anything I might've missed.

I do not own RHS nor ACE3, all credit goes to their respective authors — this is just a small config file patch.
This mod obviously requires both of these.

List of changes:
Removed frag from American and Russian flashbangs
Removed frag from concussion grenades
Removed frag from CS gas grenades
Removed frag from thermobaric rounds of all sorts
Added frag to HEDP round from AT4
Fixed RGN grenade so it doesn't explode in your hand killing you instantly

Download mirrors:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=540029769

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=29694

• Like 3

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

news_download_a3_3.png

ACE3xRHS fragmentation configs v1.0

required_addons.png

Advanced Combat Environment 3 (ACE 3)

Community Base addons A3

RHS: Armed Forces Of The Russian Federation

RHS: United States Armed Forces

==================================================

You are not registered on Armaholic, or at least not that we are aware of. Soon we offer the possibility to authors to maintain their own pages.

If you wish to be able to do this as well please register on Armaholic and let me know about it.

This is not mandatory at all! Only if you wish to control your own content you are welcome to join, otherwise we will continue to follow your work like we have always done ;)

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Holy crap. VERY much appreciated, this goes into our groups' repo right away.

:wub:

Hey, nice one. Good job on those.

If you want you could add them to the ace3 optionals: 

not sure to have understood it right... are you offering him to include the script in a future release of ACE, or will it be immediately available thru ACE?

not sure to have understood it right... are you offering him to include the script in a future release of ACE, or will it be immediately available thru ACE?

When you download ace there is an optional pbo folder for things like this. Yeah looks like he is allowing him to add it to the ace 3 download so it's easier for users to get everything needed in one download :)

So thatll be available in the next ACE release if i understand this correctly (if arkhir accepts, of course)?

Fyi ACE3 is open source and everyone is allowed to contribute to it :)

I found few Bugs. RGD-5 and RDN should have frags and they havent. About chemical grenade i dont know how actually they are working in the game, but its RHS related i think...

Awesome work! The ACE frag system is the most amazing thing in ArmA 3 so far.

Have you thought about adding very small amounts of frag to RPG-7 and AT-4 HEAT rounds? According to US Army manuals, the former can throw out some very large fragments that are lethal out to 150m or more. Even if there's no dedicated shrapnel casing, the bit and pieces of warhead have to go somewhere.

Just something to make players less cavalier about opening up on tanks that are 50 away.

(Also, do you know what it would take to add make a bullet-tracing script apply to the frag pieces? For testing and amusement purposes.)

(Also, do you know what it would take to add make a bullet-tracing script apply to the frag pieces? For testing and amusement purposes.)

execute this in your debug console:

ace_frag_traceFrags = true; call ace_frag_fnc_startTracing;

• Like 1

Hey, nice one. Good job on those.

If you want you could add them to the ace3 optionals: 

Thanks, I should do that as soon as I set up my Github account and understand how to contribute towards ACE :)

I found few Bugs. RGD-5 and RDN should have frags and they havent. About chemical grenade i dont know how actually they are working in the game, but its RHS related i think...

Yup, unfortunately RDN has to have its frag removed, or it'll explode as soon as you throw it, killing you. RGD-5 does have frag.

Awesome work! The ACE frag system is the most amazing thing in ArmA 3 so far.

Have you thought about adding very small amounts of frag to RPG-7 and AT-4 HEAT rounds? According to US Army manuals, the former can throw out some very large fragments that are lethal out to 150m or more. Even if there's no dedicated shrapnel casing, the bit and pieces of warhead have to go somewhere.

Just something to make players less cavalier about opening up on tanks that are 50 away.

Thanks. I'll think about it and experiment with values, I don't want it to be too overpowered for that matter, but yeah - HEAT rounds surely can produce some large casing fragments. It'll require quite a bit of tweaking the values though.

Wow thx! Would be wonderful if someone would work on rhs compatibility pbos. I think you have done a perfect job, most clans out there use ace3+rhs.

Small report: Practice grenade explodes like a real grenade.

Otherwise, yeah, would be nice if this was added to ace3 optional pbos.

Small report: Practice grenade explodes like a real grenade.

Otherwise, yeah, would be nice if this was added to ace3 optional pbos.

Are you sure? I tested it and it didn't seem to create frag:

class rhs_ammo_m69: GrenadeHand {
        ace_frag_enabled = 0;
        ace_frag_skip = 1;
        ace_frag_force = 0;
    };

/edit

you might be somewhat right tho, I looked up RHS configs page and looks like I messed up the inheritence, oops

Inherits: GrenadeHand_stone

thanks for the report :)

It doesn't produce frag, but it has too large blast radius and damage. I should fix that soonâ„¢

Seems like T-series tank HE rounds also lack frag.

I wasn't even touching tank rounds to be honest, focused on hand grenades for the first release. Thanks for the info, I'll look into it for prospective updates.

Edited by arkhir

About frags from HE rounds - they are present, but to be honest its useless (dont get me wrong - read the rest of my post).
- First it is killing FPS very much - so much objects are created so i have 1-3 FPS for a 2-3 seconds with every explosion.
- Number of frags is too small - 125mm HE-FRAG round explosion should have devastating effects, so number of frags should be counted in tousands.
- While shooting the main cannon with HE-FRAG round, i hear like the frags are touchin armor of mine tank, even if explosion is far away - just like pressure from the barrel is including the frags.
Thats why i deleted ace_frag.pbo.

What PC do you have?

The A2 ACE frag system had basically no performance cost, and I've noticed zero difference in ACE 2.

- Number of frags is too small - 125mm HE-FRAG round explosion should have devastating effects, so number of frags should be counted in tousands.

Well, duh. Only fragments that have a chance of hitting something are modeled. And 80% of the shrapnel never leaves the splash damage radius of the shell, and therefore doesn't need to be simulated.

+1 on no fps drop. Is a potato computer the culprit perhaps? ;)

I5 4690 4 x 3,5Ghz
R9 270 OC (Radeon from Gigabyte)
8 GB ram
It happen on RHS tanks, specially Russian. It happen to all of my firends.

Vasily: Not exactly potato ;)

No idea then, sorry.

I5 4690 4 x 3,5Ghz

R9 270 OC (Radeon from Gigabyte)

8 GB ram

It happen on RHS tanks, specially Russian. It happen to all of my firends.

RHS tanks have lots of scripted extras in the damage model, so performance effects are to be expected, especially with novel types of projectiles that their scripts don't know how to recognize.

With the Russian tanks, the mod is probably struggling to decide whether or not the fragments should detonate the ERA.