Sign in to follow this  
BL1P

With all the Controversy over A3Life why !!!

I'm well aware of that but the RPS article is about Altis Life, not A3L !

So, simply because A3L was  total mess, we should ban life mods all together ?

I admit I've never played Altis life -yet- but I have found memories of city life in ArmA 1 and I don't understand all the hate towards these mods.

Wether this community likes it or not, it's the DayZ mod that put ArmA on the map, not ACE or any "milsim" mod. That's a fact.

So we should welcome popular mods, no matter how remote they are from the original experience.

Oh woopsy, I really should stop posting early in the morning, reading comprehension is never finished loading.

So we should welcome popular mods, no matter how remote they are from the original experience.

And if it shapes BIS development? 

I think it already does. In the Tanoa dev diary they clearly said :

"(...)It was really important to us to recognise that Tanoa must support a whole variety of gameplay types. From authentic military to more civilian or casual modes and everything inbetween."

And that's exactly what they should do. The time where ArmA was only attractive to diehard milsim fans is gone.

After what happened with the DayZ mod, it would be sheer stupidity from them to ignore the current trend.

And if anything, it's a testimony of the VR engine versatility.

When you look at what the DayZ mod has brought them, for free, and how the DayZ SA somehow backfired on them,

it would make a lot sense if they decided to drop any idea of Stand Alone-this,Stand Alone-that and instead were focusing on making the ArmA engine more "open".

I have a limited understanding of game development but I don't think it makes much sense for BIS to have several teams working in parallel on "twins" version of their engine.

One team might come up with a new AI logic or pathfinding code, which might be usefull to the other team, but then they have to spend a fair amount of time explaining it that other team, which then have to figure out how to implement it in "their" engine.

In retrospect its actually kind of funny when you think about it, because for so long even the milsim community had been talking about how "Lifeless" Arma's islands feel with the lack of civilians and equipment.  Unless they go really dumbing down the way mechanics function, everyone wins.

The problem for me as an old school military centric gamer of the series is the "bad" influence that such mods have on the developers centering their work on that particular mods needs. Life might be to ArmA II was DayZ was to ArmA II.

The problem for me as an old school military centric gamer of the series is the "bad" influence that such mods have on the developers centering their work on that particular mods needs. Life might be to ArmA II was DayZ was to ArmA II.

But what all damage did DayZ do to Arma 2 that carried into 3?

We got to see the AFM from TKOH, expansion into further armor penetration and fatigue systems, a deeper cover system that didn't involved sticking to walls, weapon attachments and a ton of other things with even more coming out so far after release.

• Like 1