Sign in to follow this  
BL1P

With all the Controversy over A3Life why !!!

Why is it featured on your steam page bis when we all know they stole the majority of the content used in A3life.

With Bis openly awarding people who copy mods or just down right stealing them, I am not sure where I stand on the current tolerance of Bis towards copy or steal is fine.

Where? I can't find it mentioned anywhere. Am I blind? :bigglasses:

Too early for sarcasm :)

I was quite disappointed seeing that article in Steam too (even though I suspect that Steam aggregated it automatically) but frankly - sigh - if BI don't care about Arma being a military game then why should we? BI just want to make money and attract as many players as possible, there is nothing wrong with it as long as they make them selling their own content.

• Like 1

Bohemia should just release Arma Life as a standalone, that way those who want a barren RPG experience can have it their way without spamming my arma 3 server list.

• Like 1

Because it sucks?
Because is played mainly for young kids that do not even should be playing this game because they are below minimum age requirement?
Because it has turned in to a gold mine for some illuminated brains?
And I agree, Life should be standalone. Arma followers are being forced to deal with this aberration and that is not fair.

I filter for ACE3. No "LIFE" crap on my server list.  :D

I filter for ACE3. No "LIFE" crap on my server list.  :D

I remember there was a proposal for BI almost a year ago to implement an exclusive filter, i.e. it will hide servers with certain words in name so you don't have to hide some legitimate servers along with RPG junk. But it seems we're not getting it until full multiplayer list overhaul.

it was explained to me that the steam master servers do not support metadata or something... though i wonder how that can keep the game from using its own hidden tags in server names or something?

Hello,

Unfortunately Steam recent news system is an automatic system, which in case of RPS, displays articles with set tags (in this case Arma3) automatically. Neither us nor Valve can manually remove one particular article without making changes to how articles are automatically aggregated. We have investigated requesting/making changes with this in the past and if we are able to control this in the future we will.

Best regards,

BohemiaBeck

• Like 2

But that RPS article is about Altis Life, not the notorious Arma 3 Life? I thought they were a little more "ok" legally? Or is bad just because they're playing the game wrong?

If you guys are getting onto the topic of A3L then all of these servers are fraud any server using any of A3L content the other server owners ripped off from them. Lakeside map which only A3L should be using but also some big names like EVO and Critical Gaming also are doing it. Plus the base ArmA 3 Life. The branding of the mission is to stay ‘Altis Life RPG’. This means you cannot modify it to say something else. i.e Atlis Life by YOURCOMMUNITYNAME/TAG. Everything about the naming / branding is to be left untouched.

Naturally all credit is to remain intact on all files. Author cannot be modified via Description.ext but can be extended in briefing.sqf

All of my code is not to be used outside of the mission in another ‘Life’ like mission. It is to stay the Altis Life RPG Framework / my framework or you don’t use it and direct branding.

That is some of Tonics release rights and knowing the all A3L servers ripped off his mission that's also bad. Plus half of all Altis Life servers. So why do you guys continue to talk about RPG. I realize i may have just reiterated what some of you already know but why keep bringing it up. Its the Internet shit happens and nothing gets done. Like Normal. I will continue to play ArmA 3 they way I like. 

Just saying you guys rip on RPG but between RPG and Dayz this game has gotten the player base it has now.  Don't take me wrong I like Milsim part of ArmA but seriously just drop the subject. 

• Like 1

altis life was kind of a obstacle/suffocating factor to many who where seeking a different kind of experience from arma 3 but that is not the fault of altis life offcourse, if anyone is to blame it would be BI for not taking more measures to satisfy different player pools, however its a dilemma for them because altis life has a significant part in a3s success. In the end of the day its not a zero sum game but BI let slip away the opportunity to reconcile effectively one particular play style: "classic pvp" (BIs traditional weakness) in favour of BIs traditional strenghts PvE/Scenario based gameplay + sandbox and community conducted novel rpg style gameplay and i wonder if there will be some more effort from BIs side aside from general MP performance tweaks... KoTH pushing and endgame didnt do it.

sorry redundant offtopic rant, content stealing is bad.

if anyone is to blame it would be BI for not taking more measures to satisfy different player pools

Yes, damn BIS for making a mil-sim and alienating RPG players....Its not like there are other Role-Playing games on the market.... :rolleyes:

Hello,

Unfortunately Steam recent news system is an automatic system, which in case of RPS, displays articles with set tags (in this case Arma3) automatically. Neither us nor Valve can manually remove one particular article without making changes to how articles are automatically aggregated. We have investigated requesting/making changes with this in the past and if we are able to control this in the future we will.

Best regards,

BohemiaBeck

In the mean time, we should give feedback to RPS. If they're stirring up trouble, give them heat.

altis life was kind of a obstacle/suffocating factor to many who where seeking a different kind of experience from arma 3 but that is not the fault of altis life offcourse, if anyone is to blame it would be BI for not taking more measures to satisfy different player pools, however its a dilemma for them because altis life has a significant part in a3s success. In the end of the day its not a zero sum game but BI let slip away the opportunity to reconcile effectively one particular play style: "classic pvp" (BIs traditional weakness) in favour of BIs traditional strenghts PvE/Scenario based gameplay + sandbox and community conducted novel rpg style gameplay and i wonder if there will be some more effort from BIs side aside from general MP performance tweaks... KoTH pushing and endgame didnt do it.

sorry redundant offtopic rant, content stealing is bad.

Would you care to explain why the hell should BIS give a damn about a minor  gamemod that has zero relation to the main focus of the game? 

Isnt there enough cops n´ thieves games out there? GTA?

Maybe because

Would you care to explain why the hell should BIS give a damn about a minor  gamemod that has zero relation to the main focus of the game? 

Maybe because it helps selling the game ? Or maybe because anyone is entilted playing the game the way he wants, not the way some other want (note that i'm only playing the military aspect of those games).

Just saying you guys rip on RPG but between RPG and Dayz this game has gotten the player base it has now.  Don't take me wrong I like Milsim part of ArmA but seriously just drop the subject. 

Reminds me of this thread : https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/91478-why-is-this-game-not-more-popular/

Now that it became popular, people are complaining about it...

I must say I quite enjoyed the article, it was well written.

Reminds me of this thread : https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/91478-why-is-this-game-not-more-popular/

Now that it became popular, people are complaining about it...

It's not about popularity as much as how how the A3L community or particular a few developers handled the mod and relations.   At first they were charging people to access their mod which was a big no no to the point it got BI involved, after that surfaced a TON of stolen content including mods/Addons from Arma (which they resigned with their own keys no less), vehicles from other games. 

They bribed people into paying them money to take a freeware model and turn it into a functioning addon in Arma. http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t247/eggbeast/vecdonor_zpseae219d4.png

the mod lead Caiden, soured relations to say the least.    And at one point the developers stated that if its on the internet then its pretty much free to use so screw your rights essentially...needless to say this did not sit well with a lot of folks.

It's a long history but here is a summary.

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/174588-legal-violations-by-a3l-arma-3-life/page-30#entry2743192

Maybe because

Maybe because it helps selling the game ? Or maybe because anyone is entilted playing the game the way he wants, not the way some other want (note that i'm only playing the military aspect of those games).

First statement is false, Really dude? Altis Life helps selling the game? Who believes that? If anyones main reason to buy game would be play cops and burglars, thy would buy GTA instead.

Second statement is irelevant.  While you are inded entitled to play the game like you want, this does not oblige the devs to change focus of the game to your needs. It is military game, and it is sold as military game.

It's not about popularity as much as how how the A3L community or particular a few developers handled the mod and relations.   At first they were charging people to access their mod which was a big no no to the point it got BI involved, after that surfaced a TON of stolen content including mods/Addons from Arma (which they resigned with their own keys no less), vehicles from other games. 

They bribed people into paying them money to take a freeware model and turn it into a functioning addon in Arma. http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t247/eggbeast/vecdonor_zpseae219d4.png

the mod lead Caiden, soured relations to say the least.    And at one point the developers stated that if its on the internet then its pretty much free to use so screw your rights essentially...needless to say this did not sit well with a lot of folks.

It's a long history but here is a summary.

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/174588-legal-violations-by-a3l-arma-3-life/page-30#entry2743192

I'm well aware of that but the RPS article is about Altis Life, not A3L !

So, simply because A3L was  total mess, we should ban life mods all together ?

I admit I've never played Altis life -yet- but I have fond memories of city life in ArmA 1 and I don't understand all the hate towards these mods.

Wether this community likes it or not, it's the DayZ mod that put ArmA on the map, not ACE or any "milsim" mod. That's a fact.

So we should welcome popular mods, no matter how remote they are from the original experience.

First statement is false, Really dude? Altis Life helps selling the game? Who believes that? If anyones main reason to buy game would be play cops and burglars, thy would buy GTA instead.

Second statement is irelevant. While you are inded entitled to play the game like you want, this does not oblige the devs to change focus of the game to your needs. It is military game, and it is sold as military game.

Seems you know a lot of things nobody else know. How on earth do you know why people are buying the game ? The focus of the game hasn't changed since OFP, so that's not irrelevant. It just pisses you off that people prefer the sandbox aspect of the game over its military one.
  • Like 1