Vectif

Adding custom items/user made content directly to a mission

Hello there.
I was wondering this question; Let's say I'm working on a mission and all and for example I want to add a certain item that isn't in the base game, not just a texture; an entire item. Although, I don't want to make all of my friends have to download that item separately; I'd like it to be implemented in the mission, so that it'd be simply downloaded from the mission while they join it, like in other ArmA 3 mods that don't require you to install the addons, but to download the "mod". Could this be done with a mission, to posess the item, the texture; and then whenever anyone joins it / downloads it; the items would be available without the need to separately and manually download the item/addon? and/or is it even possible?

Thanks in advance.

No if you are talking about a mod (modification of cfgConfig files and new models + textures) that can be added to any vehicles gear, like magazines, NVG or a hat.

But if the Item is not a "real" usable item, but just belongs to some kind of scripted inventory and is more or less just an image file you can add it directly into the Mission file.

And just for clarification:

You can't add mods to the mission file and/or load mods from within the mission file.

No if you are talking about a mod (modification of cfgConfig files and new models + textures) that can be added to any vehicles gear, like magazines, NVG or a hat.

But if the Item is not a "real" usable item, but just belongs to some kind of scripted inventory and is more or less just an image file you can add it directly into the Mission file.

And just for clarification:

You can't add mods to the mission file and/or load mods from within the mission file.

Would this apply to other items such as... for example custom goggles. With .p3d, .co files and etc. Can I not load it into the mission for it to be automatically download either?

It'd basically be a texture and a "shape" I assume.

I meant, any kind of user-made content that's not just a texture. 

Goggles would need to be a mod/addon. Textures are scriptable, models and new items/objects/units/vehicles are not.

• Like 1

Alright, thanks you very much  :) .

Hate to spoil this tea session, but it can be possible upon certain limitations.  ;)

Even though having your own custom item, vehicle, etc., is not possible within mission configurations. You can use ctrlSetModel to paint a picture on the screen of what your model will actually look like. Here is a little example I have in my description.ext:

class TAG_MyDialog
{
	idd = 11105; //Unique ID
	enableSimulation = 1; //Allow interaction, moving, etc.
	movingEnable = false; //Allow moving the dialog
	moving = 0; //Can move the whole dialog
	onLoad = ""; //On dialog's loading
	onUnload = ""; //On dialog's closing
	controls[] = {myListBox}; //If you are only using the object class below in your dialog, remove this line.
	controlsBackground[] = {myBackgroundPicture}; //If you are only using the object class below in your dialog, remove this line.

class Objects
	{
		class TAG_MyHeadgear
		{
			onLoad = "[] spawn TAG_MyHeadgear_Function";
			idc = 1912;
			type = 82; //Leave this as is. Changing this value may not make your model work!
			model = "A3\weapons_f\data\zaslehsdl_proxy.p3d"; //This loads an invisible object to avoid crashes with ctrlSetModel.
                        /*If you do not wish to use the function method below, simply insert the directory where your model is found. (Must be within .pbo or mission reach!)*/
			scale = 0.2; //Size of object on screen.

direction[] = {0, 0, 1}; //Direction of object. Remember that the Y-Axis turns it left and right.
			up[] = {0, 0.65, -0.35}; //Leave this as is. Not sure what to do with it, but the display will still work.

//-----------
			//You can use
			x = 0.5;
			y = 0.5;
			z = 0.2;

//Or
			xBack = 0.27;
			yBack = 0.155;
			zBack = 1.2;
			//------------

inBack = 1; //When enabled, it starts it at xxxBack position
			enableZoom = 0; //Initiates zoom up when enabled.
			zoomDuration = 1; //Number of seconds it takes for object to zoom in.
		};
	};
};

In TAG_MyHeadgear_Function, you would have:

TAG_MyHeadgear_Function = {

disableSerialization; //Leave as is.
	_display = findDisplay 11105; //IDD you have given for dialog.
	if (headgear player == "") exitWith {}; //Checks if you have headgear on. If not, it will not load the rest of the function.
	_ctrlReturnHeadgear = _display displayCtrl 1912; //The IDC of your object class.
	_ctrlReturnHeadgear ctrlSetModel getText (configfile >> "CfgWeapons" >> (headgear player) >> "model"); //Finds and displays the current headgear you are wearing.
	_ctrlReturnHeadgear ctrlEnable false; //After the model has been loaded, it will then be non-interactive.
};

I am not quite sure, though, if Arma applies its TimeyWhimey gizmo stuff to the model, so it looks like its part of the game. If not, then that is probably the reason why the Devs made Bulldozer.  :P

More info can be found on KK's page, Here.

• Like 1

This is a relevant question for me. I have been using some objects from an addon (@aiatp) in the editor in a mission I've built. 

So are you saying that there is no way I can load these objects from the mission folder somehow so that the mission would be standalone in vanilla? 

^ that is correct

Should I take that as a challenge? ;)

But thanks...should have really started editing in vanilla to avoid these kind of things...

Even if it were possible, adding them too the mission file would make your mission its-self huge. Normal size (with images/music/etc) is about 2-3mb, (less than 1mb without images/music)

Some objects are MB's in size depending on what they are. Depending on how many objects you added your mission file could be huge, which would take players a while to download when connecting to your server.

It'd consume alot of bandwidth of the server, which could cause it to lag, if you're limited.

But in the end, I don't think its possible, but even if it was, it wouldn't be reasonable to do. (imo)