Sign in to follow this  
isuwupkhnk

OS X - a waste of dev time?

I highly doubt any Mac could handle this game, due to the absurdly large screens and weak GPUs. I think the devs should focus on Windows and Linux.

I'd hate to say this, but I somehow agree with this. Mac computers can handle some games (not powerful ones like Arma or Battlefield), but since they are really designed for fashion, I would say that Arma does not fit that environment. Not only that, I have heard Mac computers suffer more crashes on Arma than anyone else on PC, due to their 'low' memory (This may not be the case, but that is what I have heard).

However, if I were to work for Bohemia Interactive, we would make Arma compatible with Mac because it will expand our business in profits.

I highly doubt any Mac could handle this game, due to the absurdly large screens and weak GPUs.

Have you actually tried it?

I think the devs should focus on Windows and Linux.

the ports (both osx and unix) are handled by external teams, it has nothing to do with the game developers

I'd hate to say this, but I somehow agree with this. Mac computers can handle some games (not powerful ones like Arma or Battlefield), but since they are really designed for fashion

bullshit

I would say that Arma does not fit that environment.

what environment? fashion? more bullshit

Not only that, I have heard Mac computers suffer more crashes on Arma than anyone else on PC, due to their 'low' memory (This may not be the case, but that is what I have heard).

You heard? my own mac book pro has an i7 proc @2.5, 16gb of ram, a gt 750m. While the GFX is shit for most games, it does a decent job for the purpose it was build for.

However, if I were to work for Bohemia Interactive, we would make Arma compatible with Mac because it will expand our business in profits.

i see it as a testbed to see to what degree it can be used on different platforms...nothing more or less. remember that BI is suppose to upgrade its RV engine
  • Like 2

I play on an iMac2011, not on ultra settings but Arma still looks good with tweaked graphics settings. I wish Arma 3 was on OS X, I love the workflow on OS X, very smooth. I play on Bootcamp windows 7, the workflow on there is hot garbage, always has and always will be hot garbage....no offense, just saying  :D

Don't forget about Hackintosh!

That "designed for fashion" thing is bullshit. An operating system designed for fashion? What? Apple and Windows have a similar demographic. gamer's are a niche market for both operating systems compared to the majority of their customers.

• Like 1

Don't forget about Hackintosh!

That "designed for fashion" thing is bullshit. An operating system designed for fashion? What? Apple and Windows have a similar demographic. gamer's are a niche market for both operating systems compared to the majority of their customers.

Hey, personally, I LOVE LINUX! Running Ubuntu 15.04 on an old laptop, it works great. You can make it look like any OS, under the the hood, it is extremely stable. And yes, ArmA 3 could run on some Macs, but on a 5K screen with an AMD Radeon? Seriously? Most people who own macs (I own a MBP) don't buy it exclusively or primarily for gaming. I didn't, and most people obviously don't. Seriously, anyone who is silly enough to run ArmA 3 at 5K with a puny Radeon obviously didn't invest in the right Mac. Stick to Linux and Windows, BIS (and anyone else who develops the ports). Focus where the market is. Not at a niche. And yes, Hackintosh FTW!

• Like 1

anyone who is silly enough to run ArmA 3 at 5K with a puny Radeon obviously didn't invest in the right Mac

I am totally that anyone lol, than again I didn't buy an iMac for modding or gaming purposes so maybe I'm not that anyone  :P.

Gentlemen, we stated multiple times that OS X/Linux ports are not wasting any development time of Arma 3 devteam, as they are being developed by an external company. Proven by out internal tests and actual players, many Mac configurations can in fact run Arma 3 with acceptable performance, and therefore we have decided to make the experimental ports available publicly.

Please refrain from platform fanboyism and stereotyping here, these discussions never end well. Thank you.

• Like 1