daoarge

Hell in the Pacific - a full conversion WW2 mod [Reboot]

Here are some more screenies from Betio island.

I've got some days off and when I'm back I'll start posting screenshots of weapons, equipment and factions which will be included in the first release.

E01.jpg

E02.jpg

E03.jpg

E04.jpg

• Like 7

Oh god, they look beautiful! Amazing job dude keep it up. I really want to do a beach landing with marines in the pacific (ingame not real life)

Going back and playing HIP for Arma 2, reminding myself of the glory days. Looking forward to seeing it back in action!

Any more progress pictures? It went from frequent updates to a month of silence.

Would be amazing to see your Hell in the arma 3 world !!! Whats the current status here =  ?

Any more progress pictures? It went from frequent updates to a month of silence.

And ? Are they paid to keep you updated ?

And ? Are they paid to keep you updated ?

No, I was just curious. They would update every week or two weeks and now they went silent. Now if I sounded like I was being a dick, that was not my intention. 

Work has been slow throughout the holidays and pedersen has gone AWOL due to personal life. I'll post a few WIP pics here soon. Sorry for the delay in responses.

• Like 1

No, I was just curious. They would update every week or two weeks and now they went silent. Now if I sounded like I was being a dick, that was not my intention. 

RL required some attention lately (especially the time before christmas), updates will be posted more frequently now. Thanks ferwindjacks for the update.

And no, you didn't sound like being dick - I rather take it as compliment, that you're interested in this mod :)

• Like 1

I am mostly just reading but wanted to leave my "hey" here to make you aware, im watching too and can´t wait for anything playable :)

Great to hear! I really appreciate the update, both of you! Im looking forward to the day I see a release update

I am mostly just reading but wanted to leave my "hey" here to make you aware, im watching too and can´t wait for anything playable :)

Very much of the mod is indeed playable. We are looking into options for a sooner turn-out date for the mod, but some polishing needs to be done first before that is seriously approached. More updates to follow in the coming weeks.

I played once with the idea to bring IwoJima to A3.....

Nice work guys i like your destroyed Palms.

Who made the palms?

Thanks to everyone for the kind and motivating words!

Plans are to give you a biweekly update about the current status, starting today:

Island status (Tarawa - Betio Island:

AI pathfinding seems to work so far - I did some tests with AI fighting AI (USMC beachlanding and moving inland agains IJA defenses) recently and it all worked pretty well. Ai controlled boatlanding and disembarking worked perfectly, but the USMC AIs walked straight forward into japanese MG crossfire. I repeated that test a lot :-D Some trenches were frequently used by AI, a few trenches were ignored. Still an open point for "investigation".

No known glitches or stuff like floating grass makes this the part of HiP for A3 which is closest to release state.

Known issues: One bunker object is still somehow "semi-transparent", which may not be seen in bright daylight, but when the sun is getting low... The texture of one of the destroyed palmtrees lying on the beach seems also to have a problem.

Open points: add proper satellite texture (map view) / add video pan through the island (world view at the main menu). I also need to check the material penetration values of some wooden barriers as I suspect some of these simple barriers to be "immune" against small arms fire.

Faction Status:

Uniforms and equipment look really good already, but some of the equipment still needs to be split up into headgear, vest and backpack stuff (that concerns both factions).

The animations on the USMC side are "useable" but could still be a bit more improved, but IJA side still needs some heavy tuning.

Weapon Status:

Almost all weapons still need heavy tuning in terms of adjusting firerate, reload times and so on in order to make it playable and somehow historically authentic.

There's also a bunch of a completely new made weapons which we need or rather want to have in the game.

Vehicle Status:

More about this topic in the next update.

Focus for the coming days will be on configs (equipment and weapons alike) and animations.

I did some screenies during the last tests, which I will post the next days. Maybe there will also be a little surprise :)

The next update will include more infos about vehicles and stuff that will come in handy for mission makers (as well as updates from our other "battlefields" ;))

• Like 2

I played once with the idea to bring IwoJima to A3.....

Nice work guys i like your destroyed Palms.

Who made the palms?

Thanks! Lodu deserves the praise as he did the vegetation including palmtrees.

Very much of the mod is indeed playable. We are looking into options for a sooner turn-out date for the mod, but some polishing needs to be done first before that is seriously approached. More updates to follow in the coming weeks.

We defined the following (prioritized) goals for our first release:

1.) content quality needs to be playable in terms of

--> no glitches or getting stuck, errors thrown, CTDs or other frustrating things that can be prevented easily

--> weapons and vehicles need to have authentic attribute values but always with an eye on balance and not being too over-realistic. After all it's a game, which we should get fun out while playing it :)

--> some vehicles and other stuff will be directly ported from the A2 version HiP meaning that this stuff will work without problems in A3 but it will have its original model and skins from A2 and miss A3 features like PhysX, FFV etc. Ofc thats a point on our todo list, but unfortunately this list has quite grown.

2.) content variety needs to provide various gameplay modes and missions

--> two factions - IJA and USMC

--> vehicles like landing boats, etc. ported from A2

--> various authentic weapons and equipment

--> one COOP and one TvT mission included in the mod

--> guideline and script pack for mission makers

tl;dr

For the first release, we're not aiming to release 100% perfect content, but content which will be fun playing with :D

• Like 2

^ Couldn't have summed it up better myself. We have a lot on our plate and are always looking for experienced developers to help us out. I am VERY excited to say that KICKASS, developer of this mod: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=564980673 is more than very interested in joining our team, but needs to dedicate himself to an exam he has in February first. I guess this is a good time to bring up that our real lives (the little we have) come first as well, not the mod.

We have a few other possible team members joining us but as I said, we still need help.

Time for another update including some screenies:

Thanks to Bigstone and Razorback from Unsung team for splitting up the equipment!

Here are some screenshots from my previous AI pathfinding test on Betio Island and some screenshots from the Virtual Arsenal, showing available USMC uniforms, helmets and vests.

F01.jpg

F02.jpg

F03.jpg

F04.jpg

F05.jpg

F06.jpg

This screenshot is staged, because this obstacle is easy to manouvre for human players (just crawl), but not makeable for AI.

The following screenshots were taken in the Virtual Arsenal and show the different uniforms, helmets and some vests we have in game for USMC units, as well as some selected weaponry.

F07.jpg

F08.jpg

F09.jpg

F10.jpg

F11.jpg

I will post an update about japanes infantry units within the next two weeks (probably with the next big update post).

• Like 9

Hey guys, I wanted to ask, are the bayonets functional? If not do you plan on making them functional?

Hey guys, I wanted to ask, are the bayonets functional? If not do you plan on making them functional?

Atm the bayonets are not functional, but porting the Melee module from HiP A2 is on our tasklist.

Although I have to admit, that this function won't make it into the first release as we have more important issues to solve before.

Atm the bayonets are not functional, but porting the Melee module from HiP A2 is on our tasklist.

Although I have to admit, that this function won't make it into the first release as we have more important issues to solve before.

Of course, I understand that there is stuff you need to do first, but I really want melee in arma 3 :D

Good luck with the project guys, we are all waiting patiently!