smokedog3para

Oculus support

Hi all this one is for the Devs, Will there be Oculus support in the future for the engine as at the moment any BI title that uses battleye refuses to run due to battleye conflicting with the head tracking of the Oculus it basically sees it as a cheat device and closes the programme when it loads the player config. Previous runtimes worked for the Oculus on all titles but since the game updates that forced battleye to start up before the game starts, now stops the rift opening the game also oculus is on a new runtime 0.7 which changed the way 90% of the games work in the rift due to needing a 3rd party driver package vorpx just wondered if there are plans to add support I think it would be a missed opportunity if you don't being so close to the Vive and OR release.

The Oculus is the last piece of the puzzle to creating the VR Tactical Battlefield Environments I have been preparing, I have in place so far a kinect for body and stance tracking for in game movement a Delta six for weapon in game 360 movement of weapon and the Oculus for VR alongside a tn jacket for bullett detection. 

I have uploaded the crash log to the tracker but as yet it has not been looked at

I have also contacted battleye but no reply and I have contacted oculus to try to resolve the issues of why BI games won't start after runtime 7 is installed and un-installed.

Any help in solving the issue would be great cheers Smokedog

I wish BIS would start a Hardware category...

Hope they have Occulus Rift support at some point. Super excited to get one. Looks fantastic!

Side question. How's your review of your TN Gaming Vest? Never heard of it. Was looking at getting the Kor-FX Vest for ArmA. I see it's the same price. Got it for a friend for his birthday, and haven't tried it out yet to see if I want one myself. These kinds of things I think are going to be getting quite huge in the sim/game immersion hobby. I used to use the Buttkicker for my Flight Sims. HUGE immersion! Just started looking around to what else I can add to this hobby in addition to Occulus Rift.

Anyway. You like it? Review? Curious....

Vive support as well, even if we're not able to move around a bit. The Vive rocks and is out soonish.

@Von quest the tn vest is good for what it is makes you aware in game for sure, the failings are the driver support non existent at the moment they have released sdk for all the kit I use so I am coding my own drivers for most of the kit to tailor it all to my needs for ARMA3.

On the buttkicker I looked at them they seem good and  is in the pipeline for the F-16 cockpit I have made along with actuators for it, getting tight at the moment to get it all setup and finished not being able to have all 3 rigs and sims set up in one space is holding me back. below is an early prototype before I installed the 2 x tablets and 2 x 7inch screens for the mfds and installed the cockpit radio, currently it turns on in the cockpit with a switch and switches for fans in the cockpit and another for the green lights to illuminate the hidden KB and mouse that pulls out if needed.

10885420_1124497910898456_52338999624035

What kind of monster do you think will be able to run ARMA with a high enough frame rate to make it feasable to use a Oculus? Have you had it working before? It sounds allmost impossible, given the frames people get from ARMA.

Just guessing here. Maybe I'm wrong....

We use TrackIR5 right now. And there seems to be no noticeable effect. It's awesome. Won't play without it. I'm hoping it's the same thing with Occulus.

My 2¢. Fingers crossed. ;)

Virtual reality requires a solid 75-90 FPS to prevent people from getting sick. I don't see that happening in Arma any time soon.

• Like 2

What kind of monster do you think will be able to run ARMA with a high enough frame rate to make it feasable to use a Oculus? Have you had it working before? It sounds allmost impossible, given the frames people get from ARMA.

+1

The game can't keep 60fps, you can forget about any type of VR if you play the game as an ArmA game.

Virtual reality requires a solid 75-90 FPS to prevent people from getting sick. I don't see that happening in Arma any time soon.

This. As much as I wish to play ARMA VR, I dont think its realistic to get a truly enjoyable experience out of it yet. I played with the DK2 for 3 month (not ARMA though, as it was too cumbersome with injected 3D/VorpX) and every demo not reaching destination fps was horrible.

And dont forget you need 90fps *stereo*, so even with optimistic thinking and DX12 - I dont see it happen.

BUT it would be great to have some native support nevertheless. Could be marked "experimental" or sth.

I tried DK1 in ArmA 3 back when they were shipping the first dev kits.  I had hacked it together to work somewhat well with increased FOV + opentrack.  The extremely low resolution caused enemies 50+ meters away to appear as single pixels or less. Also, there was no true 3D effect unfortunately.  Tracking would constantly crash, movement was not 1-to-1, the game stuttered and glitched, controls were really whack. There was no judder with the DK1 like there was with DK2, but it had horrible latency and blurring which was extremely nauseating.

Despite these monumental shortcomings, this was the most fun I have ever had playing a video game.  Flying a chopper in first person (IN THE GAME) felt like I was on an infinite rollercoaster that I could control. It felt like flying, as opposed to ... playing a video game. 

Oculus has technology that feeds the headset a consistent frame rate and interpolates geometry between frames if the game FPS is lower than the refresh rate... so that even if a game drops to 30 FPS, it still feels like it's running at 60, 75, 90, 120Hz to your brain. I think this could help in ArmA's situation, especially if you keep to playing missions that are well optimised.

Hi all this one is for the Devs, Will there be Oculus support in the future for the engine as at the moment any BI title that uses battleye refuses to run due to battleye conflicting with the head tracking of the Oculus it basically sees it as a cheat device and closes the programme when it loads the player config. Previous runtimes worked for the Oculus on all titles but since the game updates that forced battleye to start up before the game starts, now stops the rift opening the game also oculus is on a new runtime 0.7 which changed the way 90% of the games work in the rift due to needing a 3rd party driver package vorpx just wondered if there are plans to add support I think it would be a missed opportunity if you don't being so close to the Vive and OR release.

Hi, thanks for letting us know, we'll see what we can do. I suppose you're using some 3rd party software since Arma 3 doesn't officially support Oculus Rift? Is BE blocking Oculus Rift or this software?

Possible workaround: If you are just playing around with Oculus Rift and you're not connecting to a BE protected MP server you can disable BE in the Arma 3 Launcher.

Hopefully BI will find more performance in the future. ED gave me hope as they were able to really boost fps in DCS and it was also a very single threaded cpu heavy sim as well.

People keep making that claim. Surely that only means that the display needs to update at 90 FPS (reacting to head movement), while the game itself could update at a far lower rate with no ill-effect. The two framerates are decoupled in the same way that monitor refresh rate and game FPS are.

As long as the head movement is smooth and reactive, the game framerate should be no more important than normal, right? If I can smoothly look around at a static scene, how can that cause motion sickness? Sure - the rendered FOV would need to be much higher in each frame to allow for me to turn my head before the next frame's rendered, but that's within Arma's existing capabilities.

Or can someone explain to me how I've got this horribly wrong?

would this work with the htc vive as well? ive tried it and its amazing, no lag. be incredible to have arma 3 in vr on it. and its coming out in a couple months or so.

Plays not too bad with a DK2 and VorpX software at the moment, A3 is already made for it thanks to how character animations are handled for TrackIR support.

Probably one of the best examples of a game suitable for VR at the moment.

Native support for VR devices would be the icing on the cake.

75FPS is the recommended minimum for a silky smooth DK2 experience BTW, not 90FPS. ;)

Hi, native VR support would be great.

I am testing Arma3 with Vorpx 0.9, Windows 10, runtime 0.8.

Does anybody get it to work with this configuration? Opentrack is not working with runtime 0.8 so is it possible to use the native vopx build in tracker?

People keep making that claim. Surely that only means that the display needs to update at 90 FPS (reacting to head movement), while the game itself could update at a far lower rate with no ill-effect. The two framerates are decoupled in the same way that monitor refresh rate and game FPS are.

As long as the head movement is smooth and reactive, the game framerate should be no more important than normal, right? If I can smoothly look around at a static scene, how can that cause motion sickness? Sure - the rendered FOV would need to be much higher in each frame to allow for me to turn my head before the next frame's rendered, but that's within Arma's existing capabilities.

Or can someone explain to me how I've got this horribly wrong?

I'm not an expert in VR or anything, but, as I understand it, you're still going to need a high game frame rate because the display is just showing you pictures that the game is sending it. When you move your head, it changes the view and you need to see a bunch of new pictures to make that movement look smooth. If the game isn't sending enough pictures, the display can't do that much to fill in.

75FPS is the recommended minimum for a silky smooth DK2 experience BTW, not 90FPS. ;)

CV1 is 90.

Hi, native VR support would be great.

I am testing Arma3 with Vorpx 0.9, Windows 10, runtime 0.8.

Does anybody get it to work with this configuration? Opentrack is not working with runtime 0.8 so is it possible to use the native vopx build in tracker?

It does, now, in the latest unstable release. Despite the name the unstable branch is pretty stable by now.

Hi again,

does someone have it actual running with DK2, Runtime 0.8 and Vorpx 0.91 ?

Is it possible for someone who got it to work, to send me the following config files so i can check what wrong?

C:\Users\<username>\Documents\Arma 3\Arma3.cfg
C:\Users\<username>\Documents\Arma 3\<arma_player_name>.Arma3Profile
C:\Users\<username>\Documents\opentrack-2.3\arma3.ini (your ini file for arma)
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Animation Labs\vorpX\Profiles\arma3.exe.user.ini

This would be really great, thx forward.

@dahzbog anytime arma is fired up using BE then it automatically kills the exe from starting, BE must run a check before arma3 opens so kills it off as it sees it as a headtrack cheat device so the error notice says. I can run A2\OA with no BE running ARMA3 for what ever reason seems to be that bit hard to get working.

I have been running A2\OA fully on the rift and god does that look good and plays fine the only thing I do notice is the controls need new settings in all games that will enable the rift 

as to have free look and weapon pointing seems to connect the same rather than being independent moves the scope needs to be the main overriding pointer and head look secondary as at the moment you have to always line up gun in game and free look to shoot kind of hard to explain may do a vid for it but weapons and control over the above all need sorting to make you feel that what you do in RL is the same as in game.

Off the rift subject I have been mapping a kinect to my movements and motion gestures and it has worked out well once I get arma3 up and running ill add that in to the mix, as I think all these omni and other crap to walk in game is bollocks who wants to run 5 mile in game not me but with the kinect, 1 step means you move forward back left or right 

full control over character

Oculus gives headtracking and 3D

Delta Six takes care of weapon and aiming

Kinect for moving and changing weapons and launchers 

I love the rift but really do like to still play with a 42inch and the Delta and Kinect TBH stopped sitting at the desk and just stand up and play in any FPS. 

90 seems to be the accepted standard minimum, and that means 90 game-rendered frames not display refresh rate. I guess there must also be a maximum reaction time from head movement to ingame refresh, but that doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere that I've seen yet. So basically as fast as it can render, with as little movement lag as possible. And I assume this to be the way to minimise the number of users who are susceptible to motion sickness. Myself I have a far wider tolerance but I do appreciate the higher FPS when I've experienced it. I've been "under" the Vive for 1.5hrs continuously and didn't experience nausea, dizziness or discomfort at all.