Nife

[RELEASE] BromA Framework MK 3 (00631) - Modular, Fast, and Easy.

f23b650be7.png

a2614633d1.png

7743c1311c.png   1fbf7e1ac2.png   0fbe94a979.png

8f3ea8ddaf.png

Making missions is tough, it really is. On top of learning a metric ton of scripting commands and SQF syntax, mission makers are also expected to extensively test their scenarios and hope to god everything falls into place as expected. Although it's a job that can feel unrewarding, make no mistake: without missions, no community can exist, and by definition, neither can the ArmA series.

So how do we solve these two problems? How do we kindle the interest in making scenarios within the general player-base, without forcing people to spend precious time learning extensive scripting?

Throughout the years, BromA - my community of choice - struggled with missions who had a standard of quality, something we could rely on and that wasn't gonna just break at one point or another, pissing off all players and ruining the session. And so, we've started to develop a template for all of our missions, which through lots of testing and debugging, would be stable enough to use and simple enough to be actually utilized. Long story short, as time went by and we got a bit better at scripting, here we are.

369cc48479.png

The Framework comes with a robust and flexible Plugin system, which makes sharing functionality across missions super easy - take a look on what's already implemented.

Another powerful feature is the ability to make your missions completely retroactive compatible with any gameplay mods you might want to use: in uses no modules placed from the editor, spawning them all through scripting. On top of making the mission.sqm cleared of clutter that might stop your mission from loading, this also means many module settings are linked to the mission parameters, enabling an unprecedented level of customization.

Some of the features include:

• ACE3, AGM, TFAR, ACRE2, ALIVE and DAC are fully integrated.
  • AI spawning system, complete with unit caching for performance.
  • Cargo loading made simple.
  • Casualty Cap and Body Removal.
  • Casualty Cap for civilians.
  • Commander Lock.
  • JIPs handling.
  • Limit player movement to the AO.
  • Loading screens.
  • Mission time limit.
  • Respawn system with tickets and respawn waves.
  • Setup Zones.
  • Spawn protection.
  • Tasks system which is very flexible and simple to understand.
  • Team Roster.
  • Team killing warning.
  • Very effective Loadout System.
  • Well organized and scenario-agnostic.

Important note: this Framework absolutely requires CBA to run.

5beae0ceaa.png

I'm trying to use the Framework, but the DAC AI won't spawn, what's going on?

You may need to use a modified version of DAC, compatible with HC to run this properly. Please keep in mind DAC is Silola's work and therefore we ask everyone to keep distribution to a minimum.

Is this Framework compatible with ALIVE?

Yes. Although we don't have any binds like DAC to make its use easier, it's still entirely possible to use ALIVE in your missions and several of our mission makers already have.

cfab752c8d.png

This project was developed and grew alongside me and its contributors as a great learning experience. As one would expect, we utilized a lot of reference and cannibalized many scripts written by other awesome ArmA modders, so let me stress this as much as I can: although the vast majority of the scripts utilized in the framework have been extensively modified to fit in as a proper Plugin with many hours dedicated to make everything would work, credit to the original authors is fully retained and this is in no way an attempt to upset anyone.

That said, this Framework is open-source and free for everyone to use and abuse; if you want to credit me for any of it go ahead but otherwise I really don't care. However, the same might not be true for the authors of the original scripts so please be considerate and don't remove the licenses I've included.

List of all Framework contributors.

Special Thanks:

• Ferstaberinde for his work on the F3 Framework and Naught & Olsen for the Core Framework, which basically inspired this one into existing.
  • The BromA and /a3g/ communities, for being nice sports and keeping things always fun to be around.
  • You, for reading all this crap.

7013ff2f97.png

Although in the future I plan on making a series of video tutorials explaining how to properly utilize every aspect of the Framework, so far the best I've managed is a bunch of dumb streams of myself making missions. This might help you get started on it, but otherwise I recommend the Wiki for documentation.

This project is young and still has a long way to go: If you run into some trouble or just have any questions, please hit me up on Steam any time and I'll get back to you ASAP. As a small side note, someone has taken the time to impersonate me on reddit; I do not ever post there so please, kindly ignore whatever is in that account.

We hope this Framework helps you to finally make those mission scenarios you've always wanted to make, and then more. Thanks for giving it a shot!

• Like 6

This is better than the F3 Framework.  Also, the OP busted his ass 24/7 to make it, so it at least deserves a glance.  vasefudeh

Congratulations on the release!
Definitely an essential for many mission makers.

I still can't get enough of the video

Cool! I'm seeing TFAR but where is ACRE?

https://github.com/Neefay/BromA-A3-Framework-Mark3/tree/master/framework/plugins

There's a plugin for ACRE2 which has not been noted in the OP. There will also be a parameter in the "Slotting screen" / "Lobby" where you can switch between TFR and ACRE2

There will also be a parameter in the "Slotting screen" / "Lobby" where you can switch between TFR and ACRE2

Just as a small correction, the Framework plugins checks if the addons are on, and then automatically adapts the loadouts and modules to function properly. What that means is if you play with ACRE2 instead of TFAR, everything will fall into place without the need of parameters or switching any settings.

I have updated the downloadpage.

But, the preview image you submitted does not fit. If you want the logo and text as your preview image please make it so I can create it 184x184px. :)

Out of curiosity, how does this compare to F3 and ADF?

In what way? I don't want to say one is better than the other, different designs and all.

In what way? I don't want to say one is better than the other, different designs and all.

My apologies for being a bit unclear and let me rephrase it.

When you and your community decided to put effort into this. Did you look at existing frameworks with a similar purpose like F3 and ADF? And if so, what was the criteria you judged them by.

The reason I am asking this is that I am considering moving my clan's current template to a framework. But at the moment I am lacking good arguments and I am curious why you decided to build something from scratch.

My apologies for being a bit unclear and let me rephrase it.

When you and your community decided to put effort into this. Did you look at existing frameworks with a similar purpose like F3 and ADF? And if so, what was the criteria you judged them by.

The reason I am asking this is that I am considering moving my clan's current template to a framework. But at the moment I am lacking good arguments and I am curious why you decided to build something from scratch.

When I started to work on this Framework, I was pretty green on mission making and scripting in general, so as I made them new scenarios, the need for recycling scripts constantly arose, which led me to look for some sort of template. For a loooong time it was just the F2 Framework, but as time went by we started to modify and build upon it, until up to one point it became a very different thing.

ArmA 3 rolls in and I decide to basically rewrite the entire Framework to fit into a structure of "engine/plugins/context", and so after like three months of constant work other people started to build upon it with loadouts, plugins, etc, in order to fulfill all the features we deemed important to our own missions, and at that point it became a pretty unique thing.

The reason why I'm being roundabout and just telling you why it became the way it is, is that it's hard to answer this sort of question without making it sound like some sort of competitive advertising: I use our Framework instead of F3/Core/Zenophom's because personally I consider it to be very feature complete and stable enough.

Although I'm very confident in the quality of this project, I still recommend you give everything that's out there a try. Hope this helps. ;)

Will it conflict with other custom scripts I may run? For example different AI scripts instead of DAC.

Also, does Panimala still play with the group?

Does the dac-functions work out of the box in the editor? Cant get it to work.

Also: is CBA required?

Sorry for taking so long on the reply! The DAC functions should work right out of the box, yes. In what context are you trying to use it, and what errors are you getting?

I've also added a note regarding CBA: yes, you absolutely need it to run the Framework.

Will it conflict with other custom scripts I may run? For example different AI scripts instead of DAC.

Also, does Panimala still play with the group?

Not at all. In fact, if you don't wish to use DAC, simply disable the Plugin from framework/plugins/plugins.cpp and delete the folder from the base. And no, he plays in another group now.

I would love a error message or two. No error messages, it just doesn't work. On start it gives a message about AI being on server-control.

I tried to trigger an error; in example I tried activating a zone that didn't exist. Still no go. I tried using the default VR-map.

Also; what are the purpose of the 3 bluefor soldiers running in a circle at bluefor base?

I would love error message or two. No error messages, it just doesn't work. On start it gives a message about AI being on server-control.

I tried to trigger en error; in example I tried activating a zone that didn't exist. Still no go. I tried using the default VR-map.

Also; why are the purpose of the 3 bluefor soldiers running in a circle at bluefor base?

Are you using the mission\objectives\mission_AI.sqf file to spawn the AI? Take a look over the documentation if you haven't.

Another possible thing is that we use a modified version of DAC which I didn't want to redistribute publicly since it's Silola's work, but give it a try see if it solves your problem.

As for those units running, apologies for not making that clear in the documentation: that's an example on how to transfer units to the Headless Client, by setting their unit probability to 0%.

Yes I read/followed the documentation until I was blue in face :) I am editing/using mission\objectives\mission_AI.sqf

Yes I read/followed the documentation until I was blue in face :) I am editing/using mission\objectives\mission_AI.sqf

Just tested it myself and everything working right away. To make sure:

• Run the game with CBA.
  • Make sure DAC is also running, use this version if you want to make sure.
  • You should have a 250m² blue circle within the BLUFOR spawn, and the DAC prompt will notify you of the units spawned.

Currently if you run the game with neither AGM or ACE3 you'll get a script error relating to the default medical system included in the cargo, but that won't at all affect the AI spawning.

If this persists, feel free to paste your mission_AI.sqf file here.

Thanks. With the linked version of the DAC-addon, it works! :D  

Isn't DAC a part of the framwork?

Also: I deleted the three 0% units - but the mission still produces 3 unarmed civilians. How to delete them completely?  

This looks very interesting. I use ALiVE with just about all of my missions..I think it's the best mod available for ARMA by far.

That being said...I would be interested in using the BromA Framework for scripts like cutscenes, victory conditions,etc.

Do I need to disable any spawning scripts, AI behavior scripts by default since ALiVE will handle all of that?

Can I incorporate my own custom scripts into the framework?

This looks very interesting. I use ALiVE with just about all of my missions..I think it's the best mod available for ARMA by far.

That being said...I would be interested in using the BromA Framework for scripts like cutscenes, victory conditions,etc.

Do I need to disable any spawning scripts, AI behavior scripts by default since ALiVE will handle all of that?

Can I incorporate my own custom scripts into the framework?

You don't necessarily need to disable any plugins in order to use ALIVE, however if you want to save up on some filesize, go right ahead and remove whatever you don't want by commenting the line out from framework\plugins\plugins.cpp and then deleting the folders.

Adding functionality into the Framework is not only super easy but one of its strong points: you can use the same methods as cfgFunctions or Params. Check framework\plugins\blank_plugin for an example on how to write your own.

Thanks. With the linked version of the DAC-addon, it works! :D  

Isn't DAC a part of the framwork?

Also: I deleted the three 0% units - but the mission still produces 3 unarmed civilians. How to delete them completely?  

Thanks for the feedback on that, I'll link the modified DAC so that everybody can use it.

That's really weird. Make sure you also delete the waypoints?

this looks interesting. I am wondering if you could supply some kinda of mission example to use this type of template. thanks!

• Like 1