Sign in to follow this  
soldier2390@hotmail.com

Re-linking Textures on a p3d to other existing textures.

Hello community,

First a little disclaimer: it has been a very long time since I last was into addon making so I forgot most of the correct terminology and with that most everything else, plus I did try to look this up but due to not even being sure what its called that I am trying to do and loss of my knowledge of this stuff I would not have known the answer if it reached out and slapped me so I need some guidance to atleast figure out exactly what I am looking to do because I am sure many wont understand what I am getting at. Oh and I am typing this off my small phone with my big fingers so I am sure I aciaccidentally misspelled things or other issues due to using a phone in which I can't even read the screen.

So to start off, I finally have a bit of time to get back into addon making, however I am trying to re-learn how to do all of this stuff again but have ran into a problem, so my issue is I figured out how to port the arma2 hmmwv's but some of the hmmwv models are of different quality (i.e. the SOF variant has a more detailed suspension system opposed to say the standard M1115) so I choose to use the SOF variant as a base then build off that.

However most of the textures for the SOF and Terminal versions are linked to a single texture(called hmmwv_mlod_co.paa) instead of how the rest of the OA-sample hmmwv's are linked to about 4 textures (basicly that hmmwv_mlod_co texture but separated into 4 single textures) so my question is without re-uvmapping the entire vehicle how can I re-link the p3d to load the 4 separate textures? But without having to guess which faces of the p3d corresponded to its specific single texture and repeating that for every LOD? Because its very difficult to figure out if say the windshied belongs to this texture or that texture(though thats an obvious one by looking at the exsisting textures but most of the little things including most of the ssuspension system are hard to pinpoint.

Now I have tried stuff I knew wouldn't work like renaming the texture from that old mlod texture to one of the single textures using the object builders materials and renaming tool (I believe thats what its still called?) But as I already knew it would just force the whole p3d to use that one single texture stretched across the entire model destorting it.

Its possible using the UV Editor within Object Builder, but why would you want to use 4 separate textures (which contain the same data as the one merged texture), when one texture is generally better for memory usage (one texture = one rvmat = three or four material textures rather than 4 textures = four rvmats = 12 or 16 material textures). It would probably be easier to merge the individual textures into one diffuse file.

Yes, by having multiple textures I do understand the issues it may cause. My reasoning of wanting multiple textures is because the current single texture is of lower quality, however at some stage once I get around to learning UV Mapping I plan to re-map the entire vehicle and create new textures from scratch thought I fear that may be a while down the road. For now I will enlarge the current texture to 4096x4096 and just simply enhance it a bit. But thank you, I will also take your advice and create a single rvmat and its corresponding material files.