kromka

Arma Debug Window (ADW)

I've created a simple tool to view RPT files.

This sof just loads RPT file, parse it line by line and reformat to more user friendly form.

Main purposes is to recieve confortable output during debugging of the mission (currently A3 in window mode has too small output font also it is little bit blurred - often also it dissapears too quickly).

ADW to the rescue!

ADW has two modes: simple log view mode and live mode.
In live mode (check "autorefresh"), ADW detects changes in RPT and refresh itself if it's necessary. Hovewer this mode is restricted to max 300 lines (performance reasons).
In a simple view mode you can just look through the log - no changes are reflected by refreshing of the table. Still you can do it manually with a button "manual".
'autoload RPT' option allows you to load RPT automatically if a new one will appear in default RPT directory of A3. It also open newest RPT if there is nothing opened. Autoload check RPT directory every 20 seconds.
If you want to display only new lines that has been added to RPT, check "difference". From now every refresh (auto or manual) will take only new entities into account.
Remember: you can use different font (eg. if you need cyrilic) or change default RPT directory using switches. To avoid constant use of them, just prepare a shortcut.

WARNING: loading of big RPT files (more than 10 MB) may take a lot of time and makes ADW not responsible during this period.
This isn't bug - formatting of lines and put them into the table just takes time.

ADW is designed to work with A3 but it also should read RPT files of A2 and DayZ (remember it is not tested).

PREQUISITES
- Windows and Java 8_380 (64-bit) or higher
https://www.java.com/en/download/

--------------------------------------------------------------

DOWNLOAD (last update 30.07.2023)

http://hoborg.pl/download/adw/adw.zip

CHANGELOG

1.9_230730
Changed: "open RPT" button now remember dir of last opened rpt file

1.8_160114
Fixed: minor exe file fixes
Fixed: displaying when nothing new is in RPT

1.7_151221
Changed: exe is 64-bit only
Added: "difference" checkbox
Added: tooltips

1.6_151123
Added: button for manual refresh
Added: keyboard shortcuts CTRL+O (open), CTRL+R (refresh)

INSTALLATION AND RUN
Just unzip archive (maybe also read readme.txt) and run 'adw.exe'.

Switches:
(remember to close path between quotation marks if there are spaces)
-f full_path_to_font    - uses custom font in output table, eg.
    adw.exe -f c:\myFonts\verdana.ttf
-d full_path_to_dir        - uses custom directory as a default one, eg.
    adw.exe -d "c:\Program Files\Arma 3\rpt"

WARNING

Loading of big RPT files (more than 10 MB) may take some time and makes ADW not responsive during this period.
This isn't bug - formatting of log and put it into the table just take time. Workaround is ususally filter INFO data.

• Like 3

Hi, perhaps a longer description of the tools with some screenshots would be nice ;)

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

news_download_a3_3.png

Arma Debug Window (ADW) v1.0

required_addons.png

Java 8_60 or higher

Windows 7 or higher

================================================

You are not registered on Armaholic, or at least not that we are aware of. Soon we offer the possibility to authors to maintain their own pages.

If you wish to be able to do this as well please register on Armaholic and let me know about it.

This is not mandatory at all! Only if you wish to control your own content you are welcome to join, otherwise we will continue to follow your work like we have always done ;)

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

** Note: since this is a project on which more people are working we will contact you in the future to discuss how you want this to be setup on Armaholic.

New version has been released.

Good app, thanks. But it has problems with localized errors on RPT (RPT has UTF-8 encoding)

Could you fix this issue please?

6244567.png

Problem is, that arma 3 seems to write RPT as ANSI.

I will try to solve it somehow.

Problem is, that arma 3 seems to write RPT as ANSI.

I will try to solve it somehow.

Nope, Arma writes RPT as UTF-8, but shows on screenshots as UTF-8 misidentified as ANSI. It is easy to verify. 

RPT is written without BOM. Maybe it makes java misunderstood it as ANSI. I attached one of my logs with erorrs as example.

Also suggest to add feature to automatically scan RPT files directory for new files and autoswitch to latest of them.

Please give me source of your info because practice shows something else that you claims.

Can you give me some practical advantages of such feature? I imagine it as a quiet annoying.

Please give me source of your info because practice shows something else that you claims.

I open RPT files as UTF-8 in notepad++ and always see my national symbols OK only in this encoding.

And this is obvious for me, All Arma3 files (mission files and etc.) use utf-8 encoding. And you should interpret them as using UTF-8 encoding, even when the are ANSI (in English localization).

Could you send me source code of your program please? I would try to locate the problem.

Could you send me source code of your program please? I would try to locate the problem.

Additional to additional tests prooved You were right. Thank you for reporting.

Problem is fixed. New version released, Please test it.

Lets go back to this autorefreshed directory.

What is advantage of autoswitching. How often in your opinion directory should be scanned?

Is your request dictated by a fact you are mod maker?

Additional to additional tests prooved You were right. Thank you for reporting.

Problem is fixed. New version released, Please test it.

Lets go back to this autorefreshed directory.

What is advantage of autoswitching. How often in your opinion directory should be scanned?

Is your request dictated by a fact you are mod maker?

Good. Thanks. Definetely will try.

I think that directory should be scanned 1 time per 15 seconds. (It is reasonable to add checkbox "Autoswitch to latest" for this feature).

It is very useful if you often restart Arma3 and forget to switch files manually.

Also request ability to change font (or at least ability to edit text file with parameters) for rpt log text.

PS Tried latest version and it works with my language just fine.

Give me some example of running RPT in text editor with parameter.

Autoswitch of RPT is under contruction.

Give me some example of running RPT in text editor with parameter.

Autoswitch of RPT is under contruction.

I mean special dialog for changing font for RPT text window, or at least ability to set font via command line parameters.

Also look at the ADW competitor . It have additional list with RPT files on the left of its windows. Could you add the same to the ADW please?

I mean special dialog for changing font for RPT text window, or at least ability to set font via command line parameters.

Also look at the ADW competitor . It have additional list with RPT files on the left of its windows. Could you add the same to the ADW please?

List of RPT has no sense because you have all of them after clikcing "Open RPT". I also don't want to enlarge initial window too much. Remember it is dedicated for A3 and compatibility with other products is rather a side effect.

I suppose you have better font to handle Cyrilic. I will add some switch '-f font_name.ttf' to load own font during launching.

Hovewer adding such functions in app make this app more and more complex and UI becomes non-functional.

I will add handling of fonts at the beginning of next week.

Autoswitching is almost ready and should be available at Monday.

I saw RPTViewer. I am glad my idea of tool for handling RPT is on the wall, but i think purpose of RPTViewer is little bit different.

Regards.

It contains just small improvements.

Great tool! Thanks for making and sharing it! 

One little request if I may: could you add a [clear] button to clear the output list or an [insert visible breakline]? 

I'd do it on mission start so I know which output is for current run and which is a leftover from the previous one. 

Thanks!

I use this tool all the time now, it could've spared me like hours had I got this earlier. :)