Sign in to follow this  
mindstorm

Transparent objects like helper objects

Hey,

I'm trying to get my droppod to become transpartent, like the helper objects. The general thing I want to achieve is to be able to use the following code to hide (and then fade-in by increasing alpha) my droppod object:

object setTexture [0,"#(argb,1,1,1)color(0.6,1,1,0,ca)"]

I made the selection and I'm able to re texture it, but the closer I set the alpha channel to 0 the more black the object becomes. So the transparency isn't working.

Here's the p3d & configs:

http://puu.sh/kBSBT/509a81faa4.zip

Does anyone have an idea as to why this isn't working? I shouldn't have to use a rvmat since the helper objects don't use any as well. I've tried to change lighting & shadows under face properties but that doesn't change anything.

As far as I can tell the helper objects start out with normal procedural texture colors as well, so I'm not really sure what I'm missing here.

IIRC in order for alphas render correctly on models with setobjecttexture you need a _ca alpha texture somewhere in your .p3d model to begin with.

So you could just make a small cube somewhere in the model and apply #(argb,8,8,3)color(0,0,0,0,CA) to make that cube invisible and keep the opaque _CO procedurals that you have now. Or you can make the default textures applied to the the model #(argb,1,1,1)color(0.6,1,1,0,ca) and use hiddenselectionstexture in the config to apply the opaque _CO texture you currently want to appear when the object spawns, before you script them to change back to the _CA alpha textures again.

• Like 2

IIRC in order for alphas render correctly on models with setobjecttexture you need a _ca alpha texture somewhere in your .p3d model to begin with.

So you could just make a small cube somewhere in the model and apply #(argb,8,8,3)color(0,0,0,0,CA) to make that cube invisible and keep the opaque _CO procedurals that you have now. Or you can make the default textures applied to the the model #(argb,1,1,1)color(0.6,1,1,0,ca) and use hiddenselectionstexture in the config to apply the opaque _CO texture you currently want to appear when the object spawns, before you script them to change back to the _CA alpha textures again.

At least 25 re-packs of my mod later and it is as simple as starting out with #(argb,8,8,3)color(0,0,0,0,CA) in the model.

Thank you very much!