msy

the mod subscribed from steam workshop leaves 2 copies in my DISKs, it is waste of my disk space

Steam is the best platform for games distribution and Workshop is amazing,

I love both.

Could you just stop these kind of troll posts?

I swear this thread had a somewhat whiny recent post about no progress just a few minutes ago...  I guess someone deleted it.

Anyway, I was about to reply to it with some good news: the launcher in dev branch no longer makes duplicates of subscribed mods! :P

Looks like the launcher keeps the mods in Workshop's folder instead of copying them to the game installation. Apparently they couldn't fix Steam, so they worked around it, adapted, and won.

So this may explain what i just noticed today.  I had put ARMA on hold for a bit and when i went to test the RC build i noticed some of my STEAM MODs disappeared from the ROOT folder and now my 3rd party MOD is useless which i depended on big time (for reasons of creating different profiles for testing, building, etc...)

Any solutions BIS?  Maybe the option to choose this verses how it was before?  I can understand the approach and appreciate you all trying to make it better for the average user, but everyone has different needs  :|

At the moment, the only support we have is the you can make a copy of the mod. There are two new options hidden in the more menu (expand mod details, ... button on the toolbar) to do that.

In the future, I'd love to add an support for a mods with delayed update from Steam. We'll make a copy of Workshop item, track it's updates and offer an option to update the local copy to a current version.

Appreciate the reply and future plan hopes.  As always, you guys are the best.  Keep doing what you're doing.  ;)

At the moment, the only support we have is the you can make a copy of the mod. There are two new options hidden in the more menu (expand mod details, ... button on the toolbar) to do that.

In the future, I'd love to add an support for a mods with delayed update from Steam. We'll make a copy of Workshop item, track it's updates and offer an option to update the local copy to a current version.

:wub:  please do. good step in the right direction but the update is a needed functionality, which was present before the change, if i'm not misteken. i posted this elsewhere sicne this issue is being spread out a lot over several threads but i'm glad i found your post. this is jsut what is needed to make this convenient for everyone.

I was convinced by a friend to use workshop addons so both are updated. Sounded like a good idea until A3 tried to update itself and couldn't finish due to not enough space. I couldn't opt out from workshop as I couldn't start A3 until it was updated. It ended with me manually deleting workshop folders and addonfolders to make sure I had enough space to upgrade A3. My SSD is enough for the mods I like, but not for double-data because of workshop....

• Like 1

So i am gonna bump this thread here because of the same issue,and i see there was no news since May 2016, i am having 15 gb of mods, RHS Cup terrains etc. and my arma file size is over 38gb on SSD. Is there any solution for this duplicate modpack or i will have to go back to oldschool and armaholic??

26 minutes ago, BIS_Wizard said:

There's no duplication for some time. There are two paths to a single physical file.

Thank you for fast reply. So i went in to check it out again and basically   there is that !Workshop folder witch is hidden and has subscribed folders in it,when i open it there are shotcut folders like @RHSAFRF @RHSUSAF but when i open them they have (non shotcuts folders in it because they dont have small icon on it)  so i thought it is duplicating them,but looks like it is not. 

My experience: I had 2 big mods doubled in the !Workshop folder (real folder, no shortcuts). This was related to mod updates, so it created one version folder each which contained the entire modversion (~2 GB). I manually deleted the outdated ones without issues and keep an eye on it in case it happens again.

@Bis_Wizard: Happened probably 1.5 month ago, at least that's when I discovered it. Let me know if that falls under recently so I go ahead and look for the logs

I have a similar issue. Most mods keep getting duplicated (for example CUP Terrains), one copy in Workshop->Content (61 GB of mods in total) and another in Workshop->Downloads (50 GB of mods in total). At least WinDirStat sees both as physical files

How do find the Launcher logs?

On 3.5.2018 at 7:37 PM, WarhammerZeus said:

has this been fixed or is bis still sitting on its hands.  

As Wizard said. It's Steams fault. Not BI's.

well then clearly the option is to remove the ability to move addons if the option doesnt actually work?

I'm fairly certain they fixed this awhile ago. In the !workshop directory are symlinks to the workshop downloads to prevent them from having to be installed twice. Correct me if I am wrong.

Ok so I have a laptop and a desktop. I hardly have any space on my laptop. Please tell me why I cannot opt out of Steam Workshop for my laptop? If I download mods on my desktop using the Arma Launcher, my laptop will download those mods as well. Talk about a dumb feature. I guess it is back to Armaholic.

On 24.5.2018 at 3:08 AM, necronaught said:

Please tell me why I cannot opt out of Steam Workshop for my laptop

Ask Steam about that. Bohemia cannot do anything about that.

On 1/17/2016 at 11:25 AM, Greenfist said:

1. move the 107410 folder from \Steamlibrary\SteamApps\workshop\content\ to somewhere else with more space. The folder needs to stay there.

2. open command line prompt. (as administrator probably)

4. run command:

mklink /J "xxx\Steamlibrary\SteamApps\workshop\content\107410" "yyy\107410"

(replace xxx & yyy with your paths. yyy being the location where you moved the folder)

Open the steamApps\workshop\content\ folder and check that the 107410 works and it contains the mod folders.

So glad that I found this workaround. I have been losing my mind trying to figure out a way around this.

• Like 1