msy

the mod subscribed from steam workshop leaves 2 copies in my DISKs, it is waste of my disk space

I find the latest ARMA3 launcher can let you choose your mod folder to store mod subscribed from steam workshop.

Then I change the default arma3 folder to my mod folder (the game is in SSD driver and the mod is in a large HDD driver), but there brings some problem that it makes me have to unsubscribe all the contents and re-install the game.

Before unsubscribing I have backed up some large mod. Then as I installed the game, open the launcher, and finish options, I put the backed up mods into the mod folder where is to store subscriptions.

Of course I have to subscribe them at steam workshop, then I find the old ones were not identified and it start to download again.

What's more I find it first downloads contents into XX\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\workshop\downloads, then copy it into the XX\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\workshop\content\107410 folder, Then it will put another copy into my mod folder, Whitch means, it downloads the content once and copys it to another two different place, then delets itself.

Why I choose a mod folder? Because the driver I installed ARMA3 is SSD and it is smaller than my HDD. I wish to download the mod into my HDD, but now I find that in my SSD driver it still has one copy! (the game is in 

XX\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\Arma 3) 

So I not only don't save my SSD space but also waste my HDD space again. Whats more it writes and reads twice in my SSD.

I think BIS add the new function to choose mod folder is to help us put mods in a larger driver, however it seems useless. :wacko:

Can this be solved?

ADD:

Even you don't change the mod folder, it still leaves 2 copies. one in your game folder, one in  XX\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\workshop\content\107410 folder.

PS:

If I delet contents in XX\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\workshop\content\107410 folder, it will re-download automatically.

Please VOTE for this

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=26125

Oh so it was partially because of this. I've already had some weird corruption issues with Arma 3 subscribed content for three weeks already. It wanted to download something for Assetto Corsa that doesn't even have Steam Workshop so it looped that download all the time. I noticed the same issue that you have but I thought it was only because of the issue I had.

EDIT:

Aaaaand the below didn't work for me either though I was sure... But at least it fixed the weird download loop issue that I had.

EDIT2:

Or maybe it helped but I needed to delete things once again because of some reason. Check the below if you want to give it a try and don't give up.

I needed to unsubscribe every Arma 3 Workshop content and then i deleted the \workshop\content\107410 folder or maybe I did delete the whole workshop folder. Then I opened the Arma 3 Launcher and deleted the folder once again. I maybe repeated this couple of times just in case because of my issue. I also noticed before I deleted it that there were some mod .pbos just like you said but there aren't those anymore left after I cleaned like i said. Only .bin files left. It doesn't harm to delete that folder because the stuff automatically gets downloaded back. It might take a while.

That way you should get rid of from all the Arma 3 mod .pbos in your workshop folder. Dunno if there's easier way for you because my corruption. Maybe you only need to delete the folder and that's it, no need to unsub stuff. Try that first.

If I delet contents in XX\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\workshop\content\107410 folder, it will re-download automatically.

It did only redownload 98Mbyte out of 2000Mbyte for me.

It did only redownload 98Mbyte out of 2000Mbyte for me.

OK there's something going on. I found out that there were whole mods in that folder again... So it didn't work for me either... It was different yesterday and I had only .bin files.

So yes this is a big issue. We shouldn't have mods installed in the XX\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\workshop\content\107410, so please BIS fix that! Or otherwise the new Workshop mods install folder is worthless feature.

Your game is in XX\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\Arma 3 which is in SSD.
There is a XX\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\workshop\content\107410 folder which is in the same disk with your game folder.
There is a XX\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\workshop\downloads folder too.
If the default folder for storing MOD subscribed from steam workshop is your game folder, XX\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\Arma 3, THEN:
1. You subscribe 100G MODs
2. It downloads 100G in XX\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\workshop\downloads folder.
3. It copies the contents and paste to Arma 3 game folder and 107410 folder.
4. it Deletes the original contents in downloads folder.
5. Your SSD disk now has been taken 200G space.
-----
If I download the 100G MODs from XXholic, XXinfo, PlayWithXXX, etc. I can choose to put all the contents in my HDD disk.

===========

My game is in SSD, I hope the MOD is in HDD only, but 107410 folder is in SSD too. So the MOD subscribed from steam workshop is always in SSD with one copy or 2 copies. 
HOWEVER contents downloaded from XXholic, XXinfo and PlayWithXXX etc. can all be in HDD.

I deleted ARMA3, unscribed all the MODs from steam workshop, and reinstall ARMA3 again, and get NEW finding:

1. your game is in XX\SteamApps\common\Arma 3 

2. When you first time run ARMA3 (either from arma3.exe or from arma3 launcher), it will creat a workshop folder in XX\steamapps\. that is XX\steamapps\workshop.

3. NO MATTER you change the steam MOD location (by arma3 launcher dev) to other DISK or not, the workshop folder is still in the same disk with your arma3 folder.

4. Once you begin subscribe MODs from steam workshop, it will download and store contents in this workshop folder (XX\steamapps\workshop\content\107410).

SO

IF your game is in SSD, the workshop folder is in SSD too.

IF you keep the default steam MOD location at  XX\SteamApps\common\Arma 3 

AS you subscribe 100G MODs, there are 200G contents in the game DISK. 100G in arma3 folder, 100G in steamwork folder.

IF you change the steam MOD location to the other disk.

AS you subscribe 100G MODs, there are still 100G contents in the game DISK.

Please SAVE my SSD space, BIS.

IF there MUST be a WORKSHOP folder, Please move it to HDD DISK, NOT remain in SSD DISK.

OR I have to unsubscribe all the MODs and download them from other traditional place. Anyway I have to download RHS, AIA, IceBreakr ISLAND series etc. famous MODs in other site, such as xxholic, play withxxx. 

• Like 1

I deleted the content inside the workshop folder and after about 5 days it didn't go up to 2gbyte but stayed at 100mb. Definitely not a final solution but it worked for me.

OK I deleted once again and now I'm 252MB. I see again only .bin format files. Maybe it now remains like that just like with R3vo :D There are now much less folders inside \SteamApps\workshop\content\107410\ but I still have all my subbed mods inside the defined Steam Workshop mod folder. I also noticed interesting thing that 4 mods were marked as updated and all of them were not signed mods but I have 7 folders so three of the mods are likely missions.

So seems like not signed mods and then missions get in there in .bin format. If there's something else then keep on deleting because they shouldn't get downloaded there in the format that mod folder has. And seems like only Not signed mods and missions gets in there.

The above is only true if you use only dev branch launcher and game. If you use stable version and launch the stable version launcher, then I don't know what happens.

And out of a sudden Steam starts to download mods also in the worshop folder, WTF?! Tries to download 4GB of mods that i already have. Seems like it worked only for two days and then Steam started to do its own again...

Any advance here? with CUP Terrain now in SW it becomes a major p.i.t.a. with so much space wasted for nothing... I'm sitting on 14 g in that folder and rather get rid of them 

Agreed... that is a super aggravating way of doing it for HD space...

Any advance here? with CUP Terrain now in SW it becomes a major p.i.t.a. with so much space wasted for nothing... I'm sitting on 14 g in that folder and rather get rid of them 

It's unfortunately a Steam limitation, however, I believe BIS_Wizzard mentioned that they will try to add the possibility to read mods directly from the Steam Workshop cache. We can just wait...

I "moved" my duplicate folder from the SSD to HDD by creating a symbolic link there. Saved 20GB of disk space!

• Like 2

I "moved" my duplicate folder from the SSD to HDD by creating a symbolic link there. Saved 20GB of disk space!

Can you elaborate on how you did this please?

Can you elaborate on how you did this please?

1. move the 107410 folder from \Steamlibrary\SteamApps\workshop\content\ to somewhere else with more space. The folder needs to stay there.

2. open command line prompt. (as administrator probably)

4. run command:

mklink /J "xxx\Steamlibrary\SteamApps\workshop\content\107410" "yyy\107410"

(replace xxx & yyy with your paths. yyy being the location where you moved the folder)

Open the steamApps\workshop\content\ folder and check that the 107410 works and it contains the mod folders.

• Like 3

1. move the 107410 folder from \Steamlibrary\SteamApps\workshop\content\ to somewhere else with more space. The folder needs to stay there.

2. open command line prompt. (as administrator probably)

4. run command:

mklink /J "xxx\Steamlibrary\SteamApps\workshop\content\107410" "yyy\107410"

(replace xxx & yyy with your paths. yyy being the location where you moved the folder)

Open the steamApps\workshop\content\ folder and check that the 107410 works and it contains the mod folders.

BIS you should read this. I think you can create a better way.

Don't use the workshop man. It's really that simple. I'm running currently 90 GB of MODs none of them subscribed to the workshop. I just did it the old way before ground breaking Steam took over. I have had no problems nor double folders from workshop, no nothing. Why is it so hard to do it manually like before is beyond my understanding for being honest.

But hey if you're happy with how the workshop works by all means go ahead, I stick to the old way.

cheers

• Like 4

Don't use the workshop man. It's really that simple. I'm running currently 90 GB of MODs none of them subscribed to the workshop. I just did it the old way before ground breaking Steam took over. I have had no problems nor double folders from workshop, no nothing. Why is it so hard to do it manually like before is beyond my understanding for being honest.

But hey if you're happy with how the workshop works by all means go ahead, I stick to the old way.

cheers

Not to use the Workshop is not solving any issues here.

BIS you should read this. I think you can create a better way.

The solution greefist posted is not working for everybody. Me for example, I only have 2x 120g ssd drives, so moving it from one drive to another doesn't really solve it.

Not to use the Workshop is not solving any issues here.......

Oh yes it is. I don't suffer waste of HD space like the OP described. It solves the problem for you personally it doesn't solve the problem with the workshop though. :D

I swear this thread had a somewhat whiny recent post about no progress just a few minutes ago...  I guess someone deleted it.

Anyway, I was about to reply to it with some good news: the launcher in dev branch no longer makes duplicates of subscribed mods! :P

Looks like the launcher keeps the mods in Workshop's folder instead of copying them to the game installation. Apparently they couldn't fix Steam, so they worked around it, adapted, and won.

I swear this thread had a somewhat whiny recent post about no progress just a few minutes ago...  I guess someone deleted it.

Anyway, I was about to reply to it with some good news: the launcher in dev branch no longer makes duplicates of subscribed mods! :P

Looks like the launcher keeps the mods in Workshop's folder instead of copying them to the game installation. Apparently they couldn't fix Steam, so they worked around it, adapted, and won.

I forgot to ask about this when I read something about that in the dev-branch. Thanks for saying. I was about suggesting making it work that way but seems like BIS was faster. I might install my Steam now on HDD.

Several posts in this thread have been hidden in an attempt at thread cleanup.

You my post about having an issue, also having an issue, but please provide your details and be informative. No flame-baiting or insulting language please.  

• Like 1

What does this have to do with steam workshop?

Nothing.Which is why all the above posts have been hidden. Please stay on topic people.

• Like 1