Sign in to follow this  
cam0flage

Mig-21 fishbed

Hello,

I just started wondering today why nobody has made a MiG-21 fighter/bomber for OFP?

After all, it's the most widespread jet plane ever built. Single model could be retextured for many countries. Also, it could be used on different eras; for example, Vietnam and Gulf War. I don't know about OFP mod making, but the model seems to be pretty simple for an airplane, not having that much detail. I guess it would be pretty to find pictures for textures for such a well-known plane. Here's a link for some pictures and info if you're not familiar with the thing: fas.org

Addon makers (and others), what do you think?

There was a pre-Oxygen MiG-21 (as well as an F-4). But being pre-Oxygen it dodn't look all that great, and had a crippling bug. (game would crash if the pilot ejected). A new MiG-21 would be nice

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RTR_Commander @ Oct. 16 2002,19:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Scorpio has made a MIG 21  smile.gif  and I think that was made in Oxygen.

It's only a BETA though!!

You can get it from OpFlashpoint.org<span id='postcolor'>

My guess is you're not a big plane buff smile.gif. There  is a very big difference between a MiG-21, and a MiG-29, which is what Scorpio made.

MiG-21:

mig-21-line.gif

MiG-29:

0101.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RTR_Commander @ Oct. 16 2002,19:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Scorpio has made a MIG 21  smile.gif  and I think that was made in Oxygen.

It's only a BETA though!!

You can get it from OpFlashpoint.org<span id='postcolor'>

nope, that was a Mig-29 wink.gif

There was a beta version of the MiG-21, but I didn't upload it to the addons section.

West gets more planes all the time, it would be nice to have something new for the east too. It gets pretty boring to shoot down those SU-25s all the time, don't you think? smile.gif

I had a model almost finished... it was looking good.. i just started with it but i wasa lot of work.. then windows freezed up.. i lost my hard work (including my Science project) sad.gifsad.gif

Il try to rebuild it.. this is how it looked after 5 min...

http://members.home.nl/famvreuls/mig.JPG

As is said.. i had it almost finished.. this was the basic shape but i had made wings.. cockpit , gears etc..

sad.gifconfused.gifmad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I had a model almost finished... it was looking good.. i just started with it but i wasa lot of work.. then windows freezed up.. i lost my hard work (including my Science project)<span id='postcolor'>

Sorry to hear that sad.gif But it's a good thing you try again smile.gif What version are you planning to do? Certain versions have different fuselages, check this out. I think maybe MiG-21 BIS (ho ho) would be the nicest smile.gif

I dont know.. tounge.gif im making the version in Tovarish's post smile.gif thats all i know..

(BTW i suck at textures so when the model is ready i will post it here)

Damn windows lol, yes more east side planes would be good the Su25 is not the greatest any MIG planes would be awesome. By the way does anyone know what the Russians use as a cargo plane like in America it is manly the C-130 Hercules? confused.gif

theres quite a few, but im unsure which are in service now

Harbin Y-8

Ilyushin Il-18 Coot

Ilyushin Il-76 Candid/Il-78 Midas/A-40 Mainstay

Midas and Mainstay are tanker and Airborne Early Warning & Countermeasures, respectively

I'll work on links

Thanks i have always wonderd it would be fun to have para soviet spetz natz from a plane into american bases

Actually, a small correction to RaptorAces post: A-40 isn't Mainstay, it's Mermaid, the amphibious plane. A-50 is Mainstay smile.gif Sorry for being such a nitpicking bastard tounge.gif

no problem, my first resource is a book that's about 7 years old so its prolly not the best informed, especially when it calls the F-22 a Rapier

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (TaNK_Em @ Oct. 16 2002,21:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Damn windows lol, yes more east side planes would be good the Su25 is not the greatest any MIG planes would be awesome. By the way does anyone know what the Russians use as a cargo plane like in America it is manly the C-130 Hercules?  confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Actually the direct Russian equivalent to the C130 would be the AN-12 Cub. The Chinese version is the Y-8. The Cub is unique in that it also has a rear gun turret in the tail. Unfortunately this can not be simulated in OFP because only the helicopter class of aircraft can have a rotating turret from what I understand. sad.gif

More info about the AN-12 Cub at:

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/row/an-12.htm

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: anything for the East is good! smile.gif

Looking forward to the Migs, the Antonov and the Tunguska...

Yeah, someone should make the MiG-21BIS model tounge.gif

Problem is that we would all be afriad of shooting it down  wink.gif

Yes, if anyone wants to make Eastern add-ons of any kind, GO AHEAD! In my Western Air section I have something like 20 planes and choppers, yet I have about 7 in the east.

That Tungaska looks good  smile.gif  Should be the end of the Western air domonince in OFP.

It would be best to make a MiG-21 in both Fighter and Fighter Bomber roles

smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RaptorAce @ Oct. 17 2002,12:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Scuse my ignorance but

what's a tunguska?<span id='postcolor'>

thats the russian aa-system dkm is working on

check ofp-zone.de for some screens

Looking good. The nose looks a bit long and narrow though, and the cockpit canopy seems a bit too wide....here's some good MiG-21 Bis pics for reference.

MIG-21_3.JPG

MIG-21_7.JPG

MIG-21_8.JPG

What on earth is that protruding stick on the plane's nose? Never seen one of those before. wow.gif