Hi all,

I'm finishing up work on a little project, which I will be releasing soon. I've started this thread ahead of release, partly to gauge community interest, and partly to start taking requests.

Essentially, what I'm doing is creating a medal conferral system, with both 2D and 3D assets. This will consist of a fully animated model for a medal case, an assortment of medals, and a corresponding array of dialog images.

The idea is, that clans could create a pre-mission hub, where units are based and these medal cases could be displayed. On approaching a medal case, the player will open it and inspect their awards. For added information, they could then select their medals and study them in detail via a dialog screen. On this, there would be a 2D representation of their medal, alongside the reasons the medal was given. 

Furthermore, I see no reason why a similar system would not work for a singleplayer campaign.   

The medals themselves will be based on existing ones, though will vary slightly according to the Armaverse. A Purple Heart would become a Silver Heart and so on and so forth. That being said, I plan to release the PSD files. This way, the medals can be customised and edited to suit particular needs. In addition, I plan to create a separate set of medals for CSAT and the AAF. To start with though, the focus will be primarily on NATO (thus, you can expect US eagles, stars. and crossed MXs).

Please let me know if you have any requests, suggestions, or ideas that might enable me to expand upon this little side project. And to all of you waiting for the final release of Resist, I promise, it's almost there - I've been working on this in tandem and have not diverted my attention for a moment - just extending my workload!

• Like 9

Wonderful! Was going to start hunting for models for a mission im working on where the mission in which things like Reputation/Brutalty/Marksmanship all contribute to different aspects and an ending with possible promotions/medals or dishonorable discharge. This saves me a lot of work :)

Wonderful! Was going to start hunting for models for a mission im working on where the mission in which things like Reputation/Brutalty/Marksmanship all contribute to different aspects and an ending with possible promotions/medals or dishonorable discharge. This saves me a lot of work :)

That's great news! My work has not been in vain! :P

I'll get some screenshots up soon - feel free to let me know if there's any special 'shape' medals you'd like me to add. I'll see if I can squeeze them in there for the final release.

• Like 1

Here are a couple of very early WIP screenshots.

At present, they look better in game, because the renders lack the specular and normal map effects that the RVMATs produce. I'm still learning and have only been modelling a month, but I think they're getting there!

Cross%20of%20Honor_zpsyrdz11gq.png

Medal%20Case_zpsosvsj5lq.png

• Like 3

this is a really neat idea....

would love to see that stuff and in particular some of the more teamplay medals like BF tried to do... healing, ammo supplying etc...

@cosmic10r - Thanks mate! I took a little look at some of BF medals when I was doing my research - some were pretty cool! Could easily do some for healing and ammo supply, and anything else anyone can think of!

would be neat to see some map based "tour of duty" as well ;)

Super cool idea. Will any dialog be shown on exact reasons a particular person won the award?

@FroggyLuv - thanks for that link, mate! Very helpful! So far I've got medals representing the bronze and silver star, purple heart, and medal of honor. Had no idea the US awarded so many different ones! I'll be sure to have a good look through them all!

@cosmic10r - splendid idea! Maybe for an update after Tanoa release? :D

@warlord554 - that's the plan! I'm going to create a customizable dialog box where the user can edit the stringtable entry to add the reasons the medal was awarded. I'm also planning on adding the PSD files so if anyone really wants, they can add an inscription on the reverse side of the medal.

And here's a sparkly version :D Spent some time playing with Blender's cycles and different materials - lots of fun!

Cross%20of%20Honor_zpsddsucypl.png

• Like 4

Campaign medal for Altis and Stratis:

Altis%20amp%20Stratis%20Campaign%20Medal

• Like 6

Very nice... could open some doors for requests from mission makers to request some specific ones over time...

I know some of our guys, myself included, need a transport fail medal for destroying their hunters front wheels on a fence ;)

• Like 2

Very nice... could open some doors for requests from mission makers to request some specific ones over time...

I know some of our guys, myself included, need a transport fail medal for destroying their hunters front wheels on a fence ;)

This would go really nicely with something like the Hunter 6 series of missions. 

@cosmic10r - great idea, mate! How about a bottle-top and ribbon with a handpainted MRAP wreck? A sort of 'unofficial, homemade, comradely joke' medal?

@broduz - Yeah, I played those! I'll have to send a PM and see if the creator would like them!

Here's the medal for marksmanship:

Marksman%20Medal_zpsaho4kjw2.png

• Like 3

@kydoimos great job, love the concept. Keep up the great work :)

I agree with that, or transport chopper failed landing (crashed)  ;)

• Like 1

@Roadki11 - thanks for the kinds words :) Yeah, I'll have to do some fun medals for a giggle! Plus, I can't wait to do a collection for CSAT and the AAF - that should present some interesting and original opportunities!

I like the idea. I think many MP communities will love it.

We used to run wargames a long time ago with paintball. And I did the same thing. Every time someone was bleeding from anything got a Purple Heart (our guns were cranked to their max). Attending 80% of that year's games got a Tour of Duty medal. And so on...

I like creative projects like this. They add so much more than the usual hum drum of "toys".

• Like 1

like!

Would you make this an opensource project so people can easily add their own medals?

And would this be attached to the player's ID? Or mission specific?

• Like 1

@87th_neptune - Well, the plan is, to make it open source as much as possible! I'm going to try and include all the PSD files, maybe even PDN files, for those who don't have Photoshop. That way, others can retexture the models easily, as I'll try and include hidden selections for them all :) Regarding whether they'll be mission specific or attached to the player's ID, I'm not quite sure yet. I'm going to have a chat to IndeedPete, community scripting master (one of them, at least!), and see if he's got any suggestions. When I started this project, I figured they could be used for clans, at the beginning of missions when you start off at base. Or, alternatively, for SP campaign hubs. But there's no reason they can't be adapted for all sorts.

Oh, and by popular request! They're bottle tops, though not easy to see the grooves against the black backdrop - my bad!:

Fail%20Medals_zpsvnoejy3g.png

• Like 4

@87th_neptune - Well, the plan is, to make it open source as much as possible! I'm going to try and include all the PSD files, maybe even PDN files, for those who don't have Photoshop. That way, others can retexture the models easily, as I'll try and include hidden selections for them all :) Regarding whether they'll be mission specific or attached to the player's ID, I'm not quite sure yet. I'm going to have a chat to IndeedPete, community scripting master (one of them, at least!), and see if he's got any suggestions. When I started this project, I figured they could be used for clans, at the beginning of missions when you start off at base. Or, alternatively, for SP campaign hubs. But there's no reason they can't be adapted for all sorts.

Oh, and by popular request! They're bottle tops, though not easy to see the grooves against the black backdrop - my bad!:

Fail%20Medals_zpsvnoejy3g.png

Outstanding !!!!!  ;)

like!

Would you make this an opensource project so people can easily add their own medals?

And would this be attached to the player's ID? Or mission specific?

What would you think is best? I was thinking of just creating an interface which allows to set/get medal data tied to player objects. Clans or mission designers could then save this data as they please (profileNameSpace, campaignNameSpace, SQL Database, etc.).

• Like 1

What would you think is best? I was thinking of just creating an interface which allows to set/get medal data tied to player objects. Clans or mission designers could then save this data as they please (profileNameSpace, campaignNameSpace, SQL Database, etc.).

That'd be awesome! I was thinking about creating some dialog images too. So, essentially, you could view medals in-game, as small 3D objects and view them in more detail via a dialog, which would also allow for further information, such as the reason the medal was awarded. Not sure whether to have the dialog accessible only from the medal case or not, though (with the relevant 3D object models attached to the case). I pictured a dialog box with a bird's eye view of the case and then a top-down view of the medals received, with spaces allotted for the ones still un-awarded. And maybe highlighting the medals with a mouse-hover, and then adding a text box when you click on it. I'm okay with adding dialogs, but for me, the real challenge would be to create a 'smart' interface, that knows what medals the player has.

If anyone has any thoughts on this, please feel free to share - nothing's set in stone! :D

• Like 1