DarkDruid

UAVs: Feedback and wishes

I guess my Google kungfu were no match for this topic...thanks!

**EDIT** Read over the link you provided, a lot of the options refer to the editor...not sure if it can be crossed over to UAVs and ingame.

The waypoint types you can choose in the drone menu and in the editor are the same

Hello everyone!

As you probably know, there is a new UAV (Unmanned Autonomous Vehicle) system in Arma 3. This system should be more stable and robust than the old version presented in Arma 2. We believe that this change was a big step forward from Arma 2, but we also know that there are still some sharp edges in this feature.

I would like to ask you for constructive feedback on current UAV system in Arma 3.

Please try to explain why do you think that specific part of this system should be changed. We would appreciate even your ideal solution for any issue. You can talk about issues, solutions and your wishes as well. But as usual, try to be polite and don't go off-topic. Our main interest is the UAV system itself and its features. Of course, we would like to have more great UAV models in the game too, but that is not the point of this thread.

I can't promise anything specific in the matter of UAVs right now. But I am going to read all your posts here and I hope we will be able to fix at least some weak spots in the UAV system.

Thank you for your feedback!

DarkDruid, I'd appreciate it if you fixed the existing bug you assigned yourself to with regards to the simulation manager and drone detection.

Cheers

http://feedback.arma3.com/print_bug_page.php?bug_id=18336

With the introduction of FFV, players can now assemble quadrotors down while sitting at FFV position. The UAV appears on the ground with engines off (even when assembling it on a high-flying heli).

While technically it is a bug exploitation, it creates a cool possibility for recon - now you can launch a drone on flyby without actually landing.

Can this maybe made into a feature - so that the quadrotor appears just outside the chopper with engine on? It shouldn't be that hard to toss a quad out while sitting on a Littlebird's or Offroad's bench. Launching a drone from a Zodiac on the move should be pretty possible IRL as well

With the introduction of FFV, players can now assemble quadrotors down while sitting at FFV position. The UAV appears on the ground with engines off (even when assembling it on a high-flying heli).

While technically it is a bug exploitation, it creates a cool possibility for recon - now you can launch a drone on flyby without actually landing.

Can this maybe made into a feature - so that the quadrotor appears just outside the chopper with engine on? It shouldn't be that hard to toss a quad out while sitting on a Littlebird's or Offroad's bench. Launching a drone from a Zodiac on the move should be pretty possible IRL as well

I think it would just generally be a good idea to get some sort of hand launch option. Perhaps instead of "assemble AR-2 Darter" placing the drone on the ground, it would place it in your hands. That way you'd either have the option to 'place AR-2 Darter' or (assuming the UAV in your hands would be treated like some sort of weapon), you could just click to throw it and it would ascend to a certain height. Or maybe you could predefine a waypoint that it would go to when launched, via the UAV terminal.

I would like the ability to force the AI pilot to fly level and straight. Not adjusting at all to the terrain. Just tell it "Level Flight" or "Orbit" and it flies its patter with minimal/no adjustments. Would make it easier for reconing, and make it MUCH easier for target acquisition and firing. Especially when switching between the gunner and pilot seat for marking and targeting.

I would like the ability to force the AI pilot to fly level and straight. Not adjusting at all to the terrain. Just tell it "Level Flight" or "Orbit" and it flies its patter with minimal/no adjustments. Would make it easier for reconing, and make it MUCH easier for target acquisition and firing. Especially when switching between the gunner and pilot seat for marking and targeting.

Exactly. The same as helicopters has "Auto-Hover" option, UAVs should have an "Auto-level" feature.

In the current version of Arma3 (1.40.129533) and AGM 0.95.3 the drone camera cannot be sterred. Not possible to turn the camera.

The loiter waypoint is still broken when you use the UAV operator class and assemble the A2-Darter from backpack.

It will just hover in the air when given a loiter waypoint, and it also sometimes brakes all other waypoint commands.

If you place a darter down in the editor or with Zeus it works correctly, but brakes if you disassemble and assemble it again.

Edited by Bullet Purveyor

The loiter waypoint is still broken when you use the UAV operator class and assemble the A2-Darter from backpack.

It will just hover in the air when given a loiter waypoint, and it also sometimes brakes all other waypoint commands.

If you place a darter down in the editor or with Zeus it works correctly.

A work around until that is fixed is to just use waypoints and cycle them creating your own repeating flight path. :)

Has the darter been changed to last more before having to refuel? It's been a whoile since I used one but last night it seemed to be lasting much more than it used to.

Seriously UAVs need to be able to have their light on/off status be scriptable so that we're not forced to manually go around disabling all our UGV headlights.

Is UAV hacking not working?

Few things, I think need to be added some which may have been stated some i don't think have.

* UAV camera should auto lock so the moment you stop moving the camera it holds onto what it's pointing at, this will make it much easier to keep eyes on a target.

* Camera on UAVs should auto lock to the controller if order to follow them, this would make it easier for the operator to keep eyes on his area with the drone when not actively in the camera.

* Expand the height settings, because the jump from 500 meters to 2000 meters is just annoying, we need a 1000 and 1500 meter altitude setting for the UAV's or better yet a customizable one that works on increments of 100 meters up to a max alt of say 3000 meters.

* UGVs and UAVs should have the option to patrol around a person they are following, so like an orbit option but instead of going around a set location it going around a person. This makes the UGV a bit better for assisting infantry since this can allow it to stay off friendlies thus better engage the enemy and draw fire away from friendlies.

* We need some context as to what the options for the drones do, like what does guard mean exacting does it mean it will focus on protecting friendlies in that area more then others. Same with sentry does it just scan for the enemy and keep the camera on them until they are out of sight or does it do something else. This would just help in teaching people how to use the drones and help use just better understand what these things do.

* UGV operators should have the ability to order the UGV to move without opening the terminal, this I think is a must for doing stuff inside of cities where you gotta be quick thus using the terminal could get you killed. This could just be a simple set up like ordering the AI around.

* UAV's when given order to destory or search and destory, should follow altitude settings. Thus if i want my UAV to attack from what ever alt i set, it will if possible as oppose to dropping down to sea level and bombing the lased target. This just makes it so much safer for the drone when not controlled to do attack runs, and would create so many less head aches for drone operators.

* Would be nice if we could get the camera to auto target and lase enemy vehicles for us when we are manually flying the UAVs. This could have it's own change target button is if the wrong vehicle is lased you can change to another, without losing lock on the laser.

* Darters need to be made out of something stronger then what they are currently made of, i suggest something like wet tissue paper which would be a big improvement. Because right now they self destruct the moment they take any damage, hell i've walked into mine before and broke it.

* Also when in the PIP camera view, we NEED a way to move the camera without opening the terminal. Because not being able to adjust the zoom or turn it a little to the left, often screws you over because now you have to adjust and loss sight of whats around you which can cause you to fall behind friendlies who might need the extra rifle or allow an enemy to sneak up on you.

* Also can we make the UGV without the gun a bit more useful and allow infantry to just sit on it, I mean you could easily get like 4 soldiers on that thing plus the lucky bastard with the seat. Because right now it's kinda useless except as a moving weapons locker thats easily broken. Also it makes sense that soldiers would use it as a ride as oppose to tire themselves walking or waste the time not using it to go a bit faster to the destination.

* Follow commander shouldn't require you to click on the person in the terminal map, instead should be an option with list just in case the server doesn't make people visible on the map.

* Darters need a battery pack like how the laser designators have battery's. Since this would allow for realistic flight times but also give us the ability to give it another run or two.

Think I have more or made a mistake but to tired, so thats all for now.

From what I can tell, drones lack the interest of the most of the community. Therefore, somehow the development doesn't show much progress. From my POV, an overhaul for autonomous vehicles and especially their practical usage would be necessary. They must be made more attractive and useful to everyone.

I'd like to see an unmanned variant of the AH-99 thats a UAV :P Just a fully closed-up cockpit, and controlled as a UAV is. No worry of pilot kills!

Please disable the camera shake in the turret view when the UAV is orbiting.

Some more things I want to point out.

* = feedback

> = wishlist

* We need the UAV to no long follow the camera or what ever the hell they are doing. Because all this does is make locating targets vastly more difficult as the UAV tries to turn and all that, thus throwing the camera around making out anything you see almost impossible. Just have the UAV fly and never be effected by the camera, it just causes problems.

* For some reason my UAV' have been spazzing out when i disconnect after giving them an order, telling them to give a far distance, leave the UAV terminal, or because I take control of the camera. They start shaking, just fly in circles, don't take a strait path, or what i've had some of the grayhawks do they just fly strait into the f***ing ground. This needs to be dealt with since it really damages the usability of drones. After all If you give them an order they should follow it and continue to do so until given a new one, regardless of if your connected or not.

* Something else i've noticed to is how the UAVs will target stuff at least according to the UAV terminal, but the camera will never auto-point at that target. Not sure if this is just a bug or a left out feature but should be corrected or added, since it would improve the observer role for UAVs. Since well the operator can't always be in the terminal.

> I feel we need a way to give the drones a order on how fast they travel, for example say I have my UAV on a flight path at 2000 meters altitude set to cycle through all the pathing. At that height you don't have much visible below thus if your not flying at a slow speed you can very easily miss something. Another is if you have a UGV patrolling some areas you'll want it to slowly move through well others like open ground you'll want it to go faster through, this way you can keep it safer and also have it patrol more effectively.

> Something I think UGVs need or at least the unarmed ones is that they wont show up on radar, I say this because they are pretty much small scout and recon vehicles which could be lost in ground clutter and/or maybe they are using material thats not very radar friendly. I say this because right now they can't be used for recon if the enemy has any aircraft, since they just pop up on radar. This is a small change that greatly improve the UGV's which are slow and have such right armor infantry rifle are a threat. Note thou if the armed does get this to, it shouldn't auto target aircraft simply because that would be ridiculous.

> Another thing I want to mention is we should be able to connect to atleast 3 drones at a time. I say this because as someone who often has to manage a grey hawk, a few darters, and also a group of UGVs. This would make drone management vastly better and also allow an operator to better and more effectively utilize the drones in his or her command.

> Want to say it again because we need it and if you disagree then life in the salt mines for you. Anyways we need some ability to move a UAV's camera within PIP view, without opening the terminal or jumping into the camera. We just need the ability to change zoom, vision (thermals and such), turn on and off laser, and if possible atleast 20 degrees of movement from the locked point. This makes it safer for UAV operators who are field UAV operators not I'm in an office 2000 km away, thus we are on the front line in or near combat. So Jumping onto the terminal is a problem since it makes you very vulnerable.

> Another thing that would improve the use of drones is if the operating can have the drone lock the camera onto something without using terminal. Since this can allow use to track something that at the moment is under cover or we could just be in combat thus to dangerous to use the terminal. This would also allow us to have UGVs work with the operator and infantry more quickly and more effectively.

> This isn't really drone related but needs to be since it helps the UAVS with the bombs, that is lasers are able to be seen and locked past the 3km object view range. Because right now laser guided bombs are extremely risking to use since once it loads, is seen, locked, and lined up on light, medium, and heavy AA already sees you and is firing at you. I think we should be able to see lasers as far as objects on radar show up or maybe just to 4km. That way you can't be as safe as you are with radar guided missiles, since you can still end up in range of AA.

Has the darter been changed to last more before having to refuel? It's been a while since I used one but last night it seemed to be lasting much more than it used to.

Confirmed - Darter UAV battery power allows a much longer flight time now. More than an hour long. That's perfect now! Good job BIS.

I think the UAV's are fantastic and I would not change much. I think the functionality is really good and realistic.

Two problems I picked up for the Greyhawk:

• If it is flying over mountainous terrain (like Clafghan) the altitude setting is really painful. If it is flying at speed on autonomous mode, it tries to keep the altitude above ground and often looses control and crashes. There should an option to either set the altitude above sea-level, or above ground. If it is set to above sea level, it should be able to set at least to 4000m, as some of the mountains are 2900m high.
  • The Loiter option (with "Never Fire" set) seems to be erroneous. Even with Never fire enabled it would still try and engage targets that it sees. This is usually a problem if ground units are already targeting it and the Greyhawk needs rather to wait. The Greyhawk should stay in Loiter until specifically told to engage.

Thanks!

The Loiter option (with "Never Fire" set) seems to be erroneous. Even with Never fire enabled it would still try and engage targets that it sees. This is usually a problem if ground units are already targeting it and the Greyhawk needs rather to wait. The Greyhawk should stay in Loiter until specifically told to engage.

I do not have this issue when using the Greyhawks.

Did anyone make the UAV loiter anti-clockwise? I can only make it loiter clockwise.

I put [uav1, 2] setwaypointtype "loiter"; [uav1, 2] setwaypointloitertype "CIRCLE_L"; in the UAV init.

("uav1" is the group name of the UAV, "2" is the number of waypoint "LOITER"). By "CIRCLE_L", it is supposed to fly anti-clockwise around the waypoint position, but it goes the reversed way.

I do not have this issue when using the Greyhawks.

Hi, Thank you for the feedback. I confirmed it does ignore my Never fire command on my editor. I will investigate more.

When using the UAV's in the ALIVE environment, we want to disable that all players can see every enemy on the map when the radar is enabled. Is it possible to enable the radar for vehicles (so options like Follow Unit works), but to not see every infantry contact as well? Perhaps the infantry can be seen on a cTab device but not the map?

Hi, Thank you for the feedback. I confirmed it does ignore my Never fire command on my editor. I will investigate more.

When using the UAV's in the ALIVE environment, we want to disable that all players can see every enemy on the map when the radar is enabled. Is it possible to enable the radar for vehicles (so options like Follow Unit works), but to not see every infantry contact as well? Perhaps the infantry can be seen on a cTab device but not the map?

Is the unit actually being fired upon? AI will disregard a hold fire order if they are being engaged.

?

I've been having this problem as well during MP. Spawned a few Greyhawks with Zeus, and as soon as they got anywhere near the enemy, they ignored all 'do not fire' and 'height: very high' commands, and just started dive bombing the enemy on their own. I dont think this used to be a problem, but yeah, wasn't too great, had to spend a long while cleaning up and trying to fix problems with the mission this caused.