DarkDruid

UAVs: Feedback and wishes

Dark Druid, is it possible to change the flyinheight of UAV's to be ASL instead of AGL (including in HUD)?

With the introduction of the camera changes I find the constant movement of the UAV as it struggles to keep its AGL altitude steady can result in unwanted camera movement even when camera is 'locked' to terrain.

Additionally, is it possible to eventually implement the recently introduced Flaps and Gear noises to the larger UAV's? Clearly not a critical task rather a "nice to have" feature.

Last night we have shot an enemy UAV operator and I had my AI carry the drone backpack. Later on, about 10 minutes later I ordered him to deploy the UAV. Right after the UAV was assembled, the AI opened fire on it and destroy it, feeling very proud of himself, he even reported that he took out an enemy Darter.... LOL!

The UAVs need an affiliation check like the one that AI does for enemy vehicles that have been boarded by friendly units so we could use enemy UAVs without friendly AI shooting them down.

The drones don't follow waypoints when the "autonomous" case isn't checked, they just stop where they are.

Also when not autonomous, you can't set or interact with waypoints.

This is intended behaviour. When you disable the "autonomous" checkbox, AI inside of the UAV is disabled.

When I script

_uav setAutonomous false;

The uav still fires on the enemy? Is this intended?

I haven't seen this mentioned pretty much anywhere before, but could you increase the UAV turret elevation limits a bit? The autonomous pilot rolls quite heavily when circling a waypoint and me as the gunner can't keep the reticle on the target because it doesn't turn enough. I have to set the altitude almost beyond reasonable object draw distance to maintain visual on a ground target.

I wouldn't mind if the plane's body blocked the view as long as the turret stays fixed on the target. Or would that make the UAV accidentally lase itself and receive friendly fire? Or maybe that would cause the view to clip into the plane body?

An easy way to fix this is to just tell the UAV to fly further away from the hold waypoint; it'll be a much gentler angle.

Flying further horizontally wouldn't help because the UAVs would still make sharp turns. You'd have to be at much higher altitude also.

I can only think of two ways to fix it; either limit how steeply the pilot turns or extend the turret's turning.

By the way, at hold waypoints UAVs do a lot of flybys right above the target and sharp turns at distance but with loiter they mostly circle around the target.

It should already work this way. If you think current radius is too small or too big, please create a ticket on Feedback Tracker with your suggestion about the size of that area. I guess there will be more people who have some idea about that size and we can reconsider it. Thanks!

I apologize. I was testing this within the editor and it seems when you are using the editor it does not show friendly units on the UAV terminal. Thanks for the reply back! Its great to see our feedback is noted!

The man-portable UAVs (Darter, etc.) get "Recharged" from fuel trucks. This shouldn't happen because the Darter is run on batteries, not fuel. Instead you should have to land it and replace its batteries or charge it. Since it's already in the game you could probably just use the Designator Batteries for this purpose.

The man-portable UAVs (Darter, etc.) get "Recharged" from fuel trucks. This shouldn't happen because the Darter is run on batteries, not fuel. Instead you should have to land it and replace its batteries or charge it. Since it's already in the game you could probably just use the Designator Batteries for this purpose.

Yes, it can refuel on fuel stations, too. I say either use the designator batteries, or have each disassemble count as a battery change?

hi darkdruid,

thnx for your work so far with the uav.

the optimizations are noticable, but some work could be done:

A

in arma 3 we have 2 different ways of controlling ai

1. the zeus way (2d and 3d)

2. the uav way (only 2d atm)

each way has pros and cons.

but for us players i would like to have only one, so

please combine the best from both.

zeus pro

3d

menu with waypoints on the left side

layout of the waypoints settings menu

delete waypoints between other waypoints and not loosing connection to the waypoints before and after the deleted one.

the cycle waypoint-option!

uav pro (only one i found)

left click on waypoint to change behaviour

so please merge the two different systems together to only one better system!

B

custom defined flyinheight and flyinspeed would be much appreciated

combined with the cycle waypoint function from zeus. omg!

C

maybe a bug or not?

if i save a camera position in the uav turret and open the

small monitor on the right side (don't know the exact name)

the saved camera position isn't shown!

D

entering the uav terminal should be direct possible via action menu

as im in the turret or pilot position!

E

also read my other ideas for the waypoint system in arma

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?173306-Zeus-Feature-Request-Thread&p=2733065&viewfull=1#post2733065

thnx and cheers

@moderators

would this thread not better be placed in the dev branch section?

The "fly-in height" has been put in into the latest Stable Branch update.Can now spawn planes at low alt.They changed the Axis of the planes so they wont fly into ground instsantly.

UAVs don't have engine start-up sound for the last two stable updates.

This may have already been answered but will there be any further work to stop the camera shake when you have the camera set to lock?

Can anyone answer this for me.

Is it possible for any of the Lock on missiles to be fired from beyond line of sight and then have them home in on a darters laser designator signal ?

If no that is what I would absolutely love.

1. Deploy Darter

2. Designate to fly at an area, or fly it manually.

3. Laser designate a hut or a vehicle that the launcher cannot see. Control + t to lock on.

4. Titan player can find the laser designation and launch the missile, missile flies really high and comes down at a steep angle like a javelin.

5. profit

This could be used as a really cool make shift artillery piece a would be very cool for low tech pvp scenarios without high end assets.

Sort of. You can have the missile from a Titan fly in from above like you said, but you need to have at least 3-5 seconds of direct sight onto the laser target or vehicle. Once you get a lock though, you can fire it from anywhere. To get a "Top Attack" (the missile flies in from above) you have to put your back facing the target after lock is acquired. Then when you fire, the missile will fly up high in the air and then straight down onto the target.

Sort of. You can have the missile from a Titan fly in from above like you said, but you need to have at least 3-5 seconds of direct sight onto the laser target or vehicle. Once you get a lock though, you can fire it from anywhere. To get a "Top Attack" (the missile flies in from above) you have to put your back facing the target after lock is acquired. Then when you fire, the missile will fly up high in the air and then straight down onto the target.

But there is no way to have the Titan lock on to a missile designated signal ? so you can attack things beyond visual range ?

It would be nice to be able to control both the pilot and gunner with two operators (like in real life uavs).

Also, hat about piloting UAVS from a tablet ;) ? Complete madness or doable?

***issue with drones***

There is an issue with the drones, two people cannot occupy the same drone, I.E. one cannot be in the pilot seat and the other cannot be in the gunner seat in the same drone at the same time. It will not allow two people to connect to the same drone that has two slots available.

Whats the current status on this here? Drones are fine, but there are a lot of bugs here so that basic use it is not possible.

Greyhawk:

- Sometimes i cannot start that thing, motor goes on but i cannot move!?

- Sometimes it explodes at starting the motor

- Both issues mostly happens in multiplayer matches

All drones:

- Sometimes connection gets lost

- Sometimes you cannot chose a drone (i you die for example)

Can be great if all fraction have personal UAV not like all have the same ..... Bohemia plz do something .....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=21685

Up-vote please.

In a Dedicated environment.

When player connects to UAV Driver for the first time, the vehicle will appear to sink beneath the terrain level briefly. This often causes an explosion.

Here is I believe (speculation) the precise issue:

The UAV crew (B_AI_F in this case) when created using createVehicleCrew, are not using the boundingCenter or center of the model as their reference position at first. I believe the AI_F crew are actually located at the bottom surface of the bounding box, or position ASL. So when a player connects to the UAV Driver, the UAV model is synced with the position of the remote controlled AI, which is below terrain level.

Supporting vid:

Edited by MDCCLXXVI

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=21685

Up-vote please.

Supporting vid:

So you've found the cause! That's great! Wev'e been getting UAV explosions upon connecting/UAV engine startup a lot lately.

Another request - can you guys please set the UAV to manual control by default instead of default autonomous?

So you've found the cause! That's great! Wev'e been getting UAV explosions upon connecting/UAV engine startup a lot lately.

Another request - can you guys please set the UAV to manual control by default instead of default autonomous?

Yes, engine startup seems to increase the chances of a collision with the terrain, but I don't think the engine startup is the issue itself, just a contributory factor to the big explosions.

I believe when player 'Take Control' of Driver, the Driver is not actually inside the UAV, in terms of model space. No such issue when connecting to Gunner however, which is odd. Perhaps there is only one 'seat' memory point inside for the AI crew. Driver goes in first, then Gunner gets forced in and the Driver gets forced out.

Unsure.

Yes, engine startup seems to increase the chances of a collision with the terrain, but I don't think the engine startup is the issue itself, just a contributory factor to the big explosions.

I believe when player 'Take Control' of Driver, the Driver is not actually inside the UAV, in terms of model space. No such issue when connecting to Gunner however, which is odd. Perhaps there is only one 'seat' memory point inside for the AI crew. Driver goes in first, then Gunner gets forced in and the Driver gets forced out.

Unsure.

Nice to see that iam not the only person with this issue, tried it today to be the big awesome drone commander. Tried to start that thing and boom...

BIS can we get a response on the exploding UAV issue?