DarkDruid

UAVs: Feedback and wishes

The new features are pretty awesome. Though, I'd still consider the PIP screen rather useless... simply because it is way too small for me. Even if I sit right in front of it with my nose I usually can't really see what exactly is going on.

Oh, and for the love of god, I can't shake off the behaviour to press the map key for opening the UAV interface instead of the action menu entry. Would it be possible to add an extra "switch to UAV interface" click button on the map screen if the player has a UAV terminal? This way I can continue to press the map button, and then only need one additional click on the map screen, instead of closing the map, then scrolling & reading and clicking again to open the correct UAV interface. Would be way more intuitive anyway, imo.

tl;dr: I have a compass visible on the map, so why not also a small UAV terminal that opens the UAV interface when clicking it.

Edited by Lexx

Indeed the advancement of fixes and features has been great. Cudos on the OPREP this week!

I would agree about the PIP screen, being able to increase size or prioritize one screen would be helpful for this.

Also something that's been long overdue; Turning the UGV lights off should have them stay off when releasing UAV control. Currently the AI just switches them back on.

Maybe there could be a 'Stealth' or 'Silent running' mode... a tick-box underneath the 'Autonomous' tick-box, wherein the UGV (in this case)

will progress without it's lights on and then power down its engine when it reaches the end of it's waypoint chain.

Regards

E

Okay, after juggling two Greyhawks and a Darter for an hour singlehandedly, I have a following feedback:

1. Automatic flare deployment is a really great feature, saving a lot of attention slicing. It may be considered OP by some, though.
  2. Greyhawk now jerks even more violently in turns. Some way to limit its bank angle is gravely needed, as it's very hard to self-lase now. Other solution may be to increase optics elevation level to approx. +150 degrees.
  3. It is a real problem now that the landing can't be aborted. The landing sequence takes more than 3 minutes, and sometimes the UAV is urgently needed elsewhere.
  4. In latest stable version, ground-locked UAV optics move slightly with the chassis pitch change. The UAV itself, in turn, tries to follow the vertical movement of the laser. This leads to pitch oscillations when self-lasing.
  5. And last but not least - it's practically impossible to drive a UAV out of engagement zone unless manually controlled. The UAV keeps flying over targets it spots, ignoring an order to move elsewhere. This definitely needs to be addressed.

2. We are working on camera improvements, which could help with this.

3. This behaviour is the same for all flying vehicles and fixing requires changes in AI, which is out of scope of current UAV changes. I have assigned this issue report on Fedback Tracker to myself and hopefully there will be place for this soon too.

4. Same answer as 2.

5. Could you please report this with some simple repro steps on Feedback Tracker and send me the ticket number? Thanks

AVs are broken in 1.16, cannot assign waypoints to them (http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=18379)

Should be already fixed in dev branch. Update 1.18 should bring this fix into stable branch.

When you set the height it should be set on the sea or the waypoint level so the UAV doesn't try to climb or anything when there are some hills or something else. That ruins lasering because when the UAV tries to climb up or down the turret doesn't remain stable. If you set the UAV loiter above a ground the laser is pretty much useless because of this. On the sea, no problem because it's flat.

I don't think that just simple change of height measurement would solve this problem, because a lot of players would ended up crashing UAVs. But I will definitely create a note about this and we will look for a solution suitable to everyone.

Basically, extending the support module for all UVA’s should manage the issue.

I will send your message to the person who is responsible for the support module.

UAV exploded again today just by connecting on our dedicated Server :-(((

Errorlogs in the ticket:

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=14461

I was unable to reproduce this issue on dedicated server running that attached mission. We will try to investigate it even without working repro steps, but I am not sure if we will be able to find something without ability to reproduce the issue.

A nice option would be the ability to turn off ground textures off in the UAV terminal (allow contours to be seen), or to inherit the normal map's texture on/off state.

Noted, thanks!

I had a quick search through the thread and couldn't find it but for the UGV's and Darter can we not have the ability to set it to follow the UAV controller unit (or even any unit visible on map) at a certain distance.

This feature should be already available in the dev branch.

It would also be great to be able to lock the camera to a unit (like the in-game camera script) and not just a position. This way you could have a Darter following your squad with the camera always tracking the squad.

We are already looking into this, hopefully we will be able to successfully implement this feature.

i think, if UGV has joystick inside, and you are able to enter that "vehicle", it may be realistic, and usefull when you may be able to control UGV directly. because if person hold stick, and can control just by terminal (if player have it) is weird.

Implementation of ability to drive UGV directly is complicated. It would require more than just simple switch of "something" in the engine, so I can't promise this. But we will definitely check our options.

The new features are pretty awesome. Though, I'd still consider the PIP screen rather useless... simply because it is way too small for me. Even if I sit right in front of it with my nose I usually can't really see what exactly is going on.

You can change the size and position of AV camera PIP in the game options (layout part). If you are talking about PIPs placed in the Terminal, purpose of these is to offer quick info about current situation. For more precise view you should use direct control or AV Camera.

Oh, and for the love of god, I can't shake off the behaviour to press the map key for opening the UAV interface instead of the action menu entry. Would it be possible to add an extra "switch to UAV interface" click button on the map screen if the player has a UAV terminal? This way I can continue to press the map button, and then only need one additional click on the map screen, instead of closing the map, then scrolling & reading and clicking again to open the correct UAV interface. Would be way more intuitive anyway, imo.

tl;dr: I have a compass visible on the map, so why not also a small UAV terminal that opens the UAV interface when clicking it.

Sounds reasonable - noted. Thanks!

Also something that's been long overdue; Turning the UGV lights off should have them stay off when releasing UAV control. Currently the AI just switches them back on.

We will check it. Thanks for feedback!

Edited by DarkDruid

Damn, didn't know you can adjust the screen size in the settings. Doubled mine now and it's a lot better already. :>

I would like to see diferent UAV`s for diferent faction... it is not realy funny to see enemy using grayhawk when nato have it etc etc. And i agree with Feint on that Stationary UAV terminal..atleast for the Stomper and Grayhawk ability to get in trailer and operate UAV from far away :)

@DarkDuid - wow nice round up there! I might have to switch over to my Dev Branch copy to test this out :D

I don't think that just simple change of height measurement would solve this problem, because a lot of players would ended up crashing UAVs. But I will definitely create a note about this and we will look for a solution suitable to everyone.

Yes it wouldn't be the best solution. That kind of altitude set would be nice addition. Nice round up from you :)

The drones don't follow waypoints when the "autonomous" case isn't checked, they just stop where they are.

Also when not autonomous, you can't set or interact with waypoints

And I don't know why but I can't seem to set waypoints with just LMB anymore, just with Ctrl+LMB

Edited by arziben

The drones don't follow waypoints when the "autonomous" case isn't checked, they just stops where they are.

[...]

Well, one could argue this behavior is working as inteded. But I see your point, maybe waypoints could be an exception.

I was unable to reproduce this issue on dedicated server running that attached mission. We will try to investigate it even without working repro steps, but I am not sure if we will be able to find something without ability to reproduce the issue.

We used this mission: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=22919

Used Mods:

Task Force Radio + included CBA.

Commander Tablet

Flashbang Addon

MK18 Weapons Pack

(Got this issue without addons too)

Sadly this error is very random, and most of the time after 1 hour of playing a mission.

Are you fixing the laser accuracy and such... when you zoom in it goes off target for all uavs.... I ask this because I have released a UAV variant USAV and going to add more UAV's in the future, and would like to hopefully see this get fixed

What about 2 persons to operate a UAV ? (example , one flies and the second uses the turret ?)

So far all of my concerns have addressed aside from one minor issue, taking over the turret makes the UAV go crazy. Possibly make it possible so that we can set the flight path while in pilot mode, and then when we switch to the turret mode, the UAV maintains its flight path? Right now setting waypoints to line up a shot is a PITA and makes it very complicated to use it as a CAS unit.

hi,

please make the created waypoints movable like in zeus.

general i think the whole editing process of all different stuff (uav, zeus, etc. ...) should work in a same way.

actual generating waypoints for uav is completely different from generating waypoints in zeus. why not do it all in one same way. the user would profit from this.

i would prefer the zeus way.

and please add a new window in which you see, set, ... the whole waypoint behaviour.

settings for flightspeed in km/h and flightheight in m/above seelevel or groundlevel would also be welcome.

greetings

In 1.18 how can I add waypoints to UAV? In 1.16 I could double click adding waypoints, but after the patch double click just add marker but not WP. I tried right click and middle click but no luck.

In 1.18 how can I add waypoints to UAV? In 1.16 I could double click adding waypoints, but after the patch double click just add marker but not WP. I tried right click and middle click but no luck.

Shift+klick

Thanks!

Here are some issues and suggestions (after testing behaviour of Greyhawk in 1.18):

- I cannot control the distance from which AT/GBU Greyhawks engage the target (even if I use ALTITUDE parameter on MOVE/LOITER waypoints); the Greyhawk will enter range of fire of enemy tank and fly below 200m (what a player will generally do is use the "next target" action that does automatic locking and fire a missile or a GBU bomb from 2000m => why wouldn't a Greyhawk do the same thing?)

- restrict manual locking, automatic locking and fire actions not to work when more than the max view distance away from the target (this will force Greyhawk engage from closer distance and also give a chance to AA forces to fire back)

- waypoints created after a CYCLE waypoint will not work (even if CYCLE waypoint is cancelled)

- when a CYCLE waypoint is placed previous waypoints still disappear (would expect these to remain or at least make following waypoints work)

- AV PiP view should use same level of zoom as the one selected on the Av's turret

- make Av's turret target object or position (this way PiP view will allow operator have a static view on the target/position and with selected level of zoom)

- cancel targeting/following an enemy unit when the unit is hidden from AV's view for some time (otherwise enemy player will be unable to hide from the AV, for instance, inside buildings)

=> also make AV try keep visual contact with he target (eg: when the unit goes behind a building)

- add target filtering that allows the player to choose what category of vehicles an AV is allowed to attack by itself (eg: so it will not fire AT missiles on quadbikes but only on tanks/APC/wheeled vehicles/etc)

- add fuel/damage alert for player connected to the AV (to avoid situation when player forgets to check the AV status) => maybe add this to the AV PiP view or as a second AV view

Not sure if it's the right thread, but I noticed that recently, it's not possible for some players in an MP session to connect to UAVs. Basically, I place two UAVs on the map in an MP mission, but I can't connect to them (and no, they are not empty).

Anyone noticed the same ?

I tried today to kill a tank with a greyhawk. I selected the Skalpell E2 rockets and marked the target. I waited until the targeting beep sound changed to firering range beep and fired. But the rockets dont attacked the target. Bug or feature? Or did i someting rong?

I tried today to kill a tank with a greyhawk. I selected the Skalpell E2 rockets and marked the target. I waited until the targeting beep sound changed to firering range beep and fired. But the rockets dont attacked the target. Bug or feature? Or did i someting rong?

The tank probably deployed smoke which broke the target lock. AI tanks do this immediatly 50% of the time when fired upon by an ATGM, but when a player operates a tank he has no idea when he got a missile lock on himself.

The tank probably deployed smoke which broke the target lock. AI tanks do this immediatly 50% of the time when fired upon by an ATGM, but when a player operates a tank he has no idea when he got a missile lock on himself.

i saw no smoke and i tried it a few times (i put the tank (ifrit and csat main battle tank) without ammo on the map).

Hmm, I'm not able to control UGV Stümper RCWS any more. Vanilla Arma, stable branch.

- Placed a UAV operator unit (nato player) and the Stomper on map

- Connect "UAV to Terminal" can be done when inside the UAV.

- In UAV terminal, nothing happens when I try to control gun or as a driver.

- Waypoints do not appear (shift+click)

- nothing, nada. I can connect/disconnect UAV from terminal, thats all

Maybe some basic misunderstanding on my side? A while ago, it was no problem to control them...

There are two types of UAV's in Arma3, (full size UAV's, and backpack-UAV's), I did some backpack-UAV tests here if anybody's interested-

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?175240-Weapon-tests/page18

They don't carry weapons, just powerful day/night zoomable optics and a laser designator.

They're fun, they can even open doors and fly inside buildings but my only gripe is that enemy Riflemen can shoot them down too easily at longish ranges,