DarkDruid

UAVs: Feedback and wishes

Could you put it in the action menu ( I mean addAction -> AV Camera) ?

We could do that, but we wanted to avoid of adding next item in action menu if it is not really necessary. There is a lot of items in action menu already when you have a UAV connected to your Terminal. If you are not able to find a free key for shortcut, you can try to use our preset.

Any way to enable\disable this display through a script?

No, but this should be added soon.

Would it be possible for the camera to stay up while in optics mode?

You are not able to see a GPS while in optics, because you are focused on optics and you can't be simply focused on the GPS at the same time. We used the same logic in this case. So no, this is not planned.

But feel free to create a Feedback Tracker ticket and discuss this with others. I will assign it to me and in case you have really good arguments, we can reconsider this decision.

I was having a quick play with UAVs this morning. I found that when I disconnected the terminal from the UGV I couldn't reconnect to it or any other UAV for my side. Not only that, but the UGV also started to attack me. I am on the stable branch 1.10. Is this a bug or is it just that they don't like me?

They don't like you :D. Seriously no it is a bug, and so far 1.12 fixed that issue as I took the Greyhawk for a spin last night since the server issue... never mind... and it flew nicely and didn't decide to start moving after I disconnected and then reconnected to it.

We could do that, but we wanted to avoid of adding next item in action menu if it is not really necessary. There is a lot of items in action menu already when

it would be very nice if BIS give us an option to remove (or add) entries from the action menu

Would it be possible (and realistic) to make the AV cam available for all squad members and not only the UAV operator?

edit.

Also, I think the PIP window is much too small, I can barely see anything in it. And it would also be usefull to have a little compass to see which direction the UAV is facing...

Edited by novemberist

Would it be possible (and realistic) to make the AV cam available for all squad members and not only the UAV operator?

This is already a part of our analysis, but engine implementation of this seems more tricky than most of other tasks related to UAVs. We haven't finished evaluation of this feature yet, so I can't promise it at this moment. But I definitely hope that we will be able to implement even this feature.

Also, I think the PIP window is much too small, I can barely see anything in it. And it would also be usefull to have a little compass to see which direction the UAV is facing...

You can change position and size of the PIP window in Configure > Game > Layout.

Would it be possible for the UAV turret controller to have manual fire of the missiles? This would make UAVs actually able to kill infantry while flying in a circle at 2000m.

I want more stability in multiplayer matches. Sometimes player cannot connect to drones and if a player that died but is bound to a drone so noone can re-enter it.

When I am using the CAS drone or the regular craft, I usually like to keep them as high as possible... obviously to reduce the chance of being hit my small arms fire BUT!! When I designate a target for a GBU or they approach for a hellfire attack, they get below 200m and expose themselves. Is there a way to make the AI stay at a high altitude while attacking? This would help with their survivability and keep me off of the controls for the UAV. And I am aware of the waypoint settings on the map FYI.

When I am using the CAS drone or the regular craft, I usually like to keep them as high as possible... obviously to reduce the chance of being hit my small arms fire BUT!! When I designate a target for a GBU or they approach for a hellfire attack, they get below 200m and expose themselves. Is there a way to make the AI stay at a high altitude while attacking? This would help with their survivability and keep me off of the controls for the UAV. And I am aware of the waypoint settings on the map FYI.

You have a good point there i was about to remark on the same thing, depending on the AO the drone sometimes need to operate from a higher attitude, and some times lower to distract or fly under the angle of sight of AA units. It would be cool if the waypoints in the UAV terminal came with behaviors that influence it's altitude. (maybe hold CTRL + mousewheel to increase or decrease?)

You have a good point there i was about to remark on the same thing, depending on the AO the drone sometimes need to operate from a higher attitude, and some times lower to distract or fly under the angle of sight of AA units. It would be cool if the waypoints in the UAV terminal came with behaviors that influence it's altitude. (maybe hold CTRL + mousewheel to increase or decrease?)

Maybe just force it to maintain the set altitude even when attacking?

I would also like to appreciate the new UGV feature, ability to control the movement while using turret view. Thanks for implementing it, now the Stomper is much more useful.

Could you please add some more altitudes between 500m and 2000m. A greyhawk at 500m can be easily spotted and at 2000m objects are out of the object draw distance.

I love the new way to control the stomper. I just wish AI could drive my tank just as smoothly, but I guess that's far fetch'd ;)

Okay, after juggling two Greyhawks and a Darter for an hour singlehandedly, I have a following feedback:

1. Automatic flare deployment is a really great feature, saving a lot of attention slicing. It may be considered OP by some, though.
  2. Greyhawk now jerks even more violently in turns. Some way to limit its bank angle is gravely needed, as it's very hard to self-lase now. Other solution may be to increase optics elevation level to approx. +150 degrees.
  3. It is a real problem now that the landing can't be aborted. The landing sequence takes more than 3 minutes, and sometimes the UAV is urgently needed elsewhere.
  4. In latest stable version, ground-locked UAV optics move slightly with the chassis pitch change. The UAV itself, in turn, tries to follow the vertical movement of the laser. This leads to pitch oscillations when self-lasing.
  5. And last but not least - it's practically impossible to drive a UAV out of engagement zone unless manually controlled. The UAV keeps flying over targets it spots, ignoring an order to move elsewhere. This definitely needs to be addressed.

Edited by DarkWanderer

When you set the height it should be set on the sea or the waypoint level so the UAV doesn't try to climb or anything when there are some hills or something else. That ruins lasering because when the UAV tries to climb up or down the turret doesn't remain stable. If you set the UAV loiter above a ground the laser is pretty much useless because of this. On the sea, no problem because it's flat.

Edited by St. Jimmy

Unlike the Greyhawk (air support, bombardment), Stomper/Saif RCWS action can’t be ordered via support module; artillery only for ground support.

The Support module should have added UAV to it.

Especially while using the darter on laser target designation it would come in handy to be able to set the way point for Stomper support directly, Greyhawk works fine with the darter single handed.

It would make the vehicle as realistically autonomous as intended and be a helpful addition to the way point placement in the UVA terminal map.

Bug: I can synchronize the Stomper/Saif to the support (supply) module and request them via action menu, but once in range the UAV eject the supply box on a paraglide, make a 50 ft pop in the air and both, box and UAV are on fire.

Probably colliding with the helicopter setting of the module.

Basically, extending the support module for all UVA’s should manage the issue.

Edited by Miklin

A nice option would be the ability to turn off ground textures off in the UAV terminal (allow contours to be seen), or to inherit the normal map's texture on/off state.

A nice option would be the ability to turn off ground textures off in the UAV terminal (allow contours to be seen), or to inherit the normal map's texture on/off state.

I join this request.

the ability to share the feed in group/side channels ? (possibly allow access across several UAV terminals with the first to connect having control and the next having only feed and/or control to the gunner position)

Edit: nevermind, both issues have already been discussed, sorry about that.

Edited by arziben

I had a quick search through the thread and couldn't find it but for the UGV's and Darter can we not have the ability to set it to follow the UAV controller unit (or even any unit visible on map) at a certain distance. It would also be great to be able to lock the camera to a unit (like the in-game camera script) and not just a position. This way you could have a Darter following your squad with the camera always tracking the squad.

This coupled with the use of the new "camera view without console" would be awesome allowing you to easily keep track of what is going on around the squad. On the other hand - pair this follow function with the UGV and you have a extra gear transport and moveable cover.

i think, if UGV has joystick inside, and you are able to enter that "vehicle", it may be realistic, and usefull when you may be able to control UGV directly. because if person hold stick, and can control just by terminal (if player have it) is weird.

+ more space in that (for 2 or more persons)

(i hope nobody suggest it already, because i just made quick searching)

I had a quick search through the thread and couldn't find it but for the UGV's and Darter can we not have the ability to set it to follow the UAV controller unit (or even any unit visible on map) at a certain distance. It would also be great to be able to lock the camera to a unit (like the in-game camera script) and not just a position. This way you could have a Darter following your squad with the camera always tracking the squad.

This coupled with the use of the new "camera view without console" would be awesome allowing you to easily keep track of what is going on around the squad. On the other hand - pair this follow function with the UGV and you have a extra gear transport and moveable cover.

I strongly agree with this. Would be awesome if we could also have the UGV's follow an operator. The unarmed one to operate as a mule for extra gear and the armed one to operate as a fire support element.

Additionally, as others have mentioned, greater variety of UAVs would be great. How about an EOD bot that could disarm mines? How about a Remotly (or automatically) operated AA launcher? Just some ideas! Oh and please fix the PIP flickering