DarkDruid

UAVs: Feedback and wishes

1) Make a possibility to place markers on map via laserdesignator, it would be very useful.

2) Make a better ground stabilization for camera

UAVs are just part of the bigger picture. I want to see datalink-like system to be implemented.

All datalink devices have dynamic map markers on them (vehicles + rugged combat PDAs for team leaders), and those who have an ability to estimate range to stuff (with laser range finders, so these are vehicles and SOFLAM users + UAVs) can create map markers on the spots they're currently looking at by using their GPS coordinates + distance/bearing/elevation data. Say, one or two markers max per datalink-capable device at the same time (to prevent spamming).

This would help immensely in multiplayer scenarios and allow greater situational awareness. You look at your target, use action menu option "CREATE MARKPOINT" and then map marker is created instantly for everyone on your side. Then you can delete it with another action menu option, or create a new one somewhere else and the old one gets erased automatically.

Let us change altitude with Z and Q keys while in turret control mode. Come to think of it, why can't we control the UGV like the commander of an APC, with turret and driving controls? OFP had a tank like that.

Just look at what Feint did with his UAV addon ... that please.

What would be nice would be to be able to control a battle from the UAV ... high command style.

Each side has to have unique UAVs. That's the main improvement they need.

UAVs should not attack on their own. That's the long standing issue with them since ArmA2.

Considering their attacking also comes with well known soldier-AI specifics of detecting and killing enemies

From a scripting point of view it would be really good if you could spawn AI crew for the UAV's as you do with every other vehicle in the game, using createUnit. The decision to create a new command - createVehicleCrew to handle UAV crew is sloppy. Scripters are now forced to treat UAVs as a special case.

We need to be able to type in a speed and alititude manually. This would give us the ultimate freedom!

The microkopter controls should be more responsive. Actualy they kind of control like a helicopter.

In real life, they are ultra quick and can stop and accelerate really quickly

Edited by nicolasroger

It would be nice if there would be one UAV Terminal that could be used by all sides (even civilians).

For multiplayer missions it would be very interesting to allow civilians to use UAVs. Furthermore it would make things easier if there was only one Terminal for all sides.

Features I would like to see improved/added:

- for quadcopter/UGV, let them refuel/repair alone if any repair/refuel trucks are close (also add an option that allows players enable/disable automatic repair/refuel), I already played in a mission where I was managing several Darters and it's bit too much micro-management because of the need to refuel really often (even if one Darter is controlled by one player I think it's more fun to just use the Darter's camera to find/laser target enemies than try refuel them)

- add option to follow objects (like enemy vehicles and soldiers)

- make darters more agile (mostly for gameplay, I don't know how they are in real life), I crashed them several times because they gained too much momentum (especially when I was trying to refuel with them ;-) )

- better stabilization for camera when the Darter is changing flying direction

- possibility for multiple players to access the UAV/UGV camera (only one player can take control of the camera on the UAV/UGV but more players can share the camera video stream at the same time)

- there is an issue I have with plane UAVs (ex: Greyhawk), I created a case for this and I hope it will get solved (http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=14145)

UAV system must allow players to use UAV turret and UAV itself in the same time. Now players can control UAV turret or UAV itself separately but not control them in the same time by diffrent players, it is not fun in big TvT missions.

My biggest frustration is when I land a UAV or bring the UGV home and choose "Engine Off" and disconnect...

Only to then have the internal AI of the autonomous unit turn the engine back ON and have it start doing THINGS.

No, damnit! I said go to sleep! Do not wake up until I give you further orders.

• Control enemy UAV's if you can pickup an appropriate enemy terminal. (Or hack them somehow).

I would like this too. I was half way through making a coop where you invade an enemy airstrip and hijack their UAVs to call out distant artillery targets while everyone else defends against a counter-attack, but got stuck with the incompatible terminal problem. I'm not experienced enough with scripting to hack around it.

My biggest frustration is when I land a UAV or bring the UGV home and choose "Engine Off" and disconnect...

Only to then have the internal AI of the autonomous unit turn the engine back ON and have it start doing THINGS.

No, damnit! I said go to sleep! Do not wake up until I give you further orders.

Yeah behavior inherited from A2,put a MQ9 on an airfield and as soon as you enter the scenario the damn thing will start to move around trying to take off(or crashing).

capability to control the drones from heli

I've just tested it and it seems to be working in current version of the game already.

1. Darter has effectively unlimited fuel when you put it in your backpack and back on the ground

The same here. This should be fixed already.

Just look at what Feint did with his UAV addon ... that please.

What would be nice would be to be able to control a battle from the UAV ... high command style.

Awww, shucks. ;) With the new UAVs in Arma3, I didn't see much point to me finishing my RQ-11B for Arma3. But with some of the comments in here, I might be able to solve a few of these issues. I'll have to restart work on finishing it up. Wish there was a guide for implementing the built-in UAV Controller. The map in that is separate from the regular map, which is something I really like.

Here's the last video I made for the RQ-11B for Arma 3.

^^^ this. This is what the BIS' default UAVs in A3 should work like! Good job Feint.

(camera ground lock, target acquisition and automatic tracking by FLIR, nice orbiting)

Edited by fraczek

UAV system must allow players to use UAV turret and UAV itself in the same time. Now players can control UAV turret or UAV itself separately but not control them in the same time by diffrent players, it is not fun in big TvT missions.

This is the most important thing to me.

At the very least, I want to be able to control the laser AND missiles from the gunner spot. In real life, the most common use of the UAV is taking out infantry. One pilot does all the work. I need to be able to turn on my laser, target the infantry, and manually fire the missile myself to make sure it stays on task.

As of right now, I have to use "command fire" to tell the "invisible pilot" to face the target and fire. And with out stabalizing cameras on it, its impossible to keep on target because the pilot always, for some reason, flys a random path to get on target, also losing a bunch of altitude and direction in the process. This also makes the UAV an easy target for enemies.

I think that is the most important improvement that would make the UAV worthy for all.

The UAVs are already miles ahead of anything A2 offered but there are obviously things that can still be done to improve. I have 4 things I would like to see implemented :)

1. larger weapon carrying helo uav like the fire scout

2. some sort of naval unmanned vehicle like this

3. an AA version of the greyhawk (or maybe half scalpels half AA)

4. the ability to orbit around a fixed position like the AC130 script (so yes with a script)

I would like to ask you for constructive feedback on current UAV system in Arma 3.

Thank you for your feedback!

1) Whatever you do, please spend a few minutes "seeding" the Wiki with data about how to use the commands. UAV / PIP is not the easiest thing to figure out on your own.

2) It is difficult to make use of the PIP screen at the size it normally renders. There need to be some "natural" options that form a spectrum of abilities. In the real world, there is a tiny screen, there are leadership goggles with larger screens, there are terminal-integrated command screens in a command-version of light armored vehicle, there are also hand held versions that much like the binoculars, a platoon or company commander can pull out of their pack without carrying a full true "UAV terminal". Having a spectrum of options for what the PIP is linked to is great, that can be programatically executed to give you a choice of how your platoon/company level commander uses the capability.

3) In the way of documentation, making the camera work is one thing, programmatic command of the UAV unit is another. A few examples in forum or wiki would go a long way to igniting an exponential growth in use of the feature. A worthwhile investment, at BI.

4) Maybe not everyone feels this way, but if there were a "modders guide" out there that I (and others) could pay $10 to compensate you guys for documenting some of the nifty things that are out-of-the-way to do with the tools (e.g. here are the top 10 obscure things we see asked about or talked about how to use the various code hooks in the API to do in your missions), that would be something I would definitely throw down on. The key is that it needs to stay a micro-transaction. Maybe 2 of the 10 are UAV focused.

---------- Post added at 19:42 ---------- Previous post was at 19:39 ----------

I guess...

5) Backpack robot UAVs for scouting and IED removal / det.

Awww, shucks. ;) With the new UAVs in Arma3, I didn't see much point to me finishing my RQ-11B for Arma3. But with some of the comments in here, I might be able to solve a few of these issues. I'll have to restart work on finishing it up. Wish there was a guide for implementing the built-in UAV Controller. The map in that is separate from the regular map, which is something I really like.

Here's the last video I made for the RQ-11B for Arma 3.

Holy crap, that thing is amazing. +many internets to you

Legislator;2555875'][*]the UAV module is not working anymore after a player respawn! You can open the UAV terminal' date=' but you can't connect to any UAV or UGV again![/quote']

That UAV is still connected to a Terminal in inventory of your previous unit. If you find your body and take its UAV Terminal, you can control that UAV. There can be only one Terminal connected at once and because that UAV is still connected to some Terminal, you are not able to connect it.

That UAV is still connected to a Terminal in inventory of your previous unit. If you find your body and take its UAV Terminal, you can control that UAV. There can be only one Terminal connected at once and because that UAV is still connected to some Terminal, you are not able to connect it.

With this in mind, can I kill an enemy who is currently connected to a UAV and use the terminal to control an enemy drone?