Victim_913

CSAT Expansion and Guerilla Mod

UPDATE!!!!

Who's ready??

I have finished this mod enough to give to the world. That was a long 1% I had to work on. I ran into a homeless problem right after posting this, but I have managed to get it to release. There is more work to do, but who knows when i'll get to it. So I guess this would be my alpha release. (Maybe someone can let me know the procedure to remove from wip to the complete side).

It requires nothing. I'm not sure how to know if it's zues compatible or anything. I also need to see how to put it on the steam workshop. I just haven't looked into these yet.

The readme says pretty much everything and I included classnames (need to update).

It's my first mod, so excuse the mess. And let me know if I did something wrong. Thanks.

http://www.filefactory.com/file/6rtw72a12faz/CSAT_WAR.rar

I am finally 99% finished with my CSAT mod. It is currently un-named. It started as just a mod to add regular Army units using AAF reskinned in CSAT hex camo and a new woodland hex camo. So I added woodland versions of CSAT skins. Then I got the idea of CSAT guerillas. In creating them, I had created other hex patterns, so I added more reskinned CSAT, etc.....

All I am doing now is creating groups and final touches.

Here's a basic idea of what is in the mod:

-Darker version of both current CSAT units (hex, urban)

-Semi-Arid (like heli pilot)

-Woodland

-Desert

-All 5 hex patterns applied to all types of backpacks, AAF Helmets, boonies, mil caps, and new versions of vests/rigs.

-5 new balaclavas

-8-10 new shemags

-new bandana masks, beanies, caps, etc.

- new plain colored backpacks and vests

CSAT supplied guerillas

Independent guerillas

********* All guerilla classes have 4 different models to choose from. For example, a "Rifleman" has a  guerilla 1, 2, 3, and 6 model.

********* Almost every guerilla has it's own uniform. Only a few have the same uniform.

I made many different skins for each uniform so that I can pick the best ones. I ended up liking too many of them, so I kept a lot of them. ***** And while I say I wanted to pick the best, the best looking units looked too good to be citizen guerillas. So I toned them all down so that they would better represent the citizens instead of soldiers.

I have saved a lot of the best for future addition to the mod. I plan on making the good looking guerillas an actual "behind enemy lines" CSAT military units, that would be like a spec ops group that would organize guerillas. The non hex, ones will be turned into a type of militia or a more organized guerilla.

The funny thing is that I started this mod for creating regular army units, they may not be included. yet.

And today is picture day!!!!

The pictures just show different variations to show the different varieties.

Standard hex (third from left front is bi's version for comparison)

ARID_zpsyix9hqds.jpg

Woodland. There are 2 versions based on vest color. I decided to leave both in the game as separate groups to suit terrain.

WOODLAND_zpscs354avr.jpg

Urban. They blend in a lot more than bi's. You can see bi's in the pic for comparison. There are 2 different uniforms. One is the normal version with blue on  the legs. The second has a tan type color. I did not separate these. So some units have blue, some tan.

URBAN_zpsgjmo1sf4.jpg

Semi-Arid. Same thing as the woodland. 2 different versions of vests. They will be separate groups

SEMIARID_zpscjbrsg2t.jpg

Desert. I found that the desert doesn't blend in to a lot of islands. I guess that's the case in real life. But in game, takistan has a kind of pink-ish/orange/tan. Altis has a gray kind of sand. Shapur turns the units a lot darker, etc. So I guess you can play around with it.

DESERT_zpsjnvrrbfo.jpg

CSAT Supported and Supplied Guerillas (again, these are not all of them)

GUE2_zps8zfja8po.jpg

GUE1_zpslnqv21km.jpg

GUE3_zps82zc5dkf.jpg

MORT_zps1qps0j7k.jpg

Independent Guerillas. They can be added to FIA or CSAT or whoever.

IND2_zpsujhbfz03.jpg

IND1_zpsoqeypl8n.jpg

IND3_zpspyexcqri.jpg

Here are some extras. A couple examples of different backpacks. I still can't figure out why bi would make the CSAT backpacks a completely different color. It's not even just a brighter color. The urban is the worst. It's blue. And the only way they got it to blend was to cover it with dirt. And the hex is orange.

ARIDBACKPACKS_zps1irhlexo.jpg

URBANBACKPACKS_zps76fzrwlc.jpg

GUEBACKPACKS_zpshaeuhodf.jpg

These helmets are included but they are not on any units. I'm embracing the bi advanced combat kind of idea so I just added them for those who prefer the regular helmets.

HELMETS_zpssjgwymbf.jpg

Here's a look at both guerilla armies. You can see, each group of 4 or 5 is for one position (squad leader, team leader, etc)

CSAT

ALLCSATGUE_zpsg5r95lzy.jpg

Independent

ALLINDGUE_zpsfnwenxsy.jpg

I'm putting final touches on it now. It should be ready any day this week. I will probably release it as a beta so that I can get feedback on what you guys like. I will probably release it all together, but I think I will end up separating it. So that the Guerillas will be one download that can be used independently of the CSAT advanced units. They share a lot of equipment so it would take time renaming etc.

Actually I haven't even decided on the mod name yet. It started as CSAT_ARMY then CSAT_WAR just to have a name.

- I'm thinking of keeping to bi's grouping. So that everything works evenly with bi. But I think I will add different groups. Especially for the Guerillas.

The structure is squad and fire team with a TL, auto, lat, med, etc. But I think I will group the guerillas un-evenly. It's almost the definition of guerillas to be somewhat un organized. So I may have a squad with 5 rifleman and no auto's, or 2 rifleman and 3 autos, etc. Not those but more of a random grouping.

I do already have ambush groups. Set up with units ideal for ambushes etc.

There is one major problem that has come up. Something that would have been nice to realize earlier. That may derail my hope at finishing this. It happens to be an issue that I have complained about since Arma 3 came out. COLOR. The game has too much color. Sky too blue, shadows too dark, containers are pastel colored, cities bright.

Some community islands make my units dark, but they do that for bi units too. But worst of all is Altis. After almost finishing, I wanted to take pictures in Kavala. That city is super bright. ALL of my guerillas look like mud in Kavala and a lot of other cities. Everything is way too bright. The cement and sidewalks are almost white. I put my guerillas in the city near the hospital and everything is brown. Even my white shirts look brown. Anywhere else and you can see green shirts, brown pants, even yellows and tans, etc. I was worried some of my units were too bright, but those units in Kavala look like garbage.

So i'm trying to decide what to do about it. I planned for my guerillas to do a lot of city fighting but they look like crap. If I make them brighter, that would take a lot more time and then they would be too bright out of the city, just like bi's. So I am up for suggestions. I might add bright versions to go along with regular, but I want to keep the size down.

What I plan to still do:

-Get the better looking guerillas that I haven't worked on yet to be infiltration teams.

-I already skinned blufor and Ind vest with CSAT camo. I was going to use them for army units. But I might go with the theme that CSAT is growing and starting to get Western countries to join. So I might have a "foreign legion" type with CSAT camo on western equipment.

-Vehicles. I will create vehicle skins for the other terrain types.

**I also want feedback now regarding Nightvision. I always take NVGoggles off when making missions. So I want to know if more of you guys want me to keep the Goggles on the units or in their inventory.

All my recon units will come with NVGoggles in their inventory but not on their heads. If you have a night mission all you have to do is put them on your head. I don't think it matters too much for AI or not.

So please let me know if the CSAT units should have NVGoggles on head or in inventory. Guerillas have no NVGoggles.

• Like 10

This looks excellent, hope to see this released soon, will this be released on steam workshop? and are they compatible with zeus?

Also, if you are willing to take ideas, I was thinking a new Opfor/Indfor force:

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/callofduty/images/3/35/Russian_Commando_models_MW3.png/revision/latest?cb=20120528012808

Cant wait for more news :)

May I just say, this mod looks like a dream come true for those of us who would like to keep the vanilla factions and timeline running. The woodland camo in particular for CSAT is something that i've looked for a long time. Question: will you be doing vehicle retextures as well? We have the great camo for those colder maps, but all of CSAT's vehicles will still be in the arid camo scheme. Even just a basic dark green would be a huge improvement, and open up the faction to  be really used in depth on other maps

May I just say, this mod looks like a dream come true for those of us who would like to keep the vanilla factions and timeline running.

You said it and i agree ;)

Love the work i see here, good looking 2035 guérillas for sure !

Nice work :D  will there be a steam workshop download also?

makes it for people to download for missions.

Looks really good! Can use CSAT on woodland terrains now and not have them stick out. Looking forward to the updates.

Thank you so much...finally some CSAT Forces for different terrains ( beside the Snow Tigers). I wish someone would do some African and Middle East factions for the 2035 setting too :)

Very nicely done. As for the NVG they should be in the inventory and never on the head when the units are in the game. Also can they be used as a faction in ALiVE?

• Like 1

As for the NVG they should be in the inventory and never on the head when the units are in the game.

I would rather that be handled by a MOD like ASR otherwise if its sitting in their inventory they will never use it.... But for immersion i get your point.

• Like 2

Very nicely done. As for the NVG they should be in the inventory and never on the head when the units are in the game. Also can they be used as a faction in ALiVE?

Are they compatible with the ALiVE Mod?  Looking great but having units that work with ALiVE is a deal breaker for me :)

• Like 1

I would rather that be handled by a MOD like ASR otherwise if its sitting in their inventory they will never use it.... But for immersion i get your point.

I agree 100% I was simply going with the immersion aspect of it. It would be nice to see enemies; especially AI stop and transition to NVG as the night progressed instead of using flashlights on weapons all the time.

As far as helmet letdowns, something I should have mentioned, If you look at the pictures, I did make regular helmets. Each camo has an AAF helmet also. The classname should be in the classname file. If not let me know.

*****edit***** Here are classnames for AAF helmets (makes them  look tougher):

CSAT_A_Helmet

A=arid, W=woodland, SA=semiarid, D=desert, U=urban

As for NVG. I wasn't sure if AI actually NEED them. They always seem to see fine in the dark. But that wasn't my issue. When I make a mission, I usually make it at a time where scenery looks good. I like the colors near darkness where you can still see. I also see a lot of missions users create to be similar times. Either way.

The way I saw it was that I found I spent more time removing NVG in the init of units than I would spend adding them. So I just made the default with no visible NVG.

Putting it in the inventory was strictly for human players. AI can be coded to add them.

However, if someone wants to create a config to add as an option, go ahead.

If someone wants to make them compatible for something like Alive, again, go ahead. Or let me know what I need to do.

I will put it on steam workshop. Just haven't looked into it yet.

And one thing you might notice, the units look completely different in the city. I think the streets are so bright, the colors I used make them look blah. And I will also add more "ethnic diversity".

I do have hex and woodland "army" versions using AAF too. They were done first, so not as good as I want. But I might wait for the green I will use for forest or jungle since the woodland and arid fit in the same kind of environments.

*****I would like some input for colors I should use for vehicles. Im not going to use the same camo colors as the soldiers.

Also, if you check back here, I will post some pics of the new colors for jungle or forest so you guys can give input.

• Like 2

As far as helmet letdowns, something I should have mentioned, If you look at the pictures, I did make regular helmets. Each camo has an AAF helmet also. The classname should be in the classname file. If not let me know.

*****edit***** Here are classnames for AAF helmets (makes them  look tougher):

CSAT_A_Helmet

A=arid, W=woodland, SA=semiarid, D=desert, U=urban

As for NVG. I wasn't sure if AI actually NEED them. They always seem to see fine in the dark. But that wasn't my issue. When I make a mission, I usually make it at a time where scenery looks good. I like the colors near darkness where you can still see. I also see a lot of missions users create to be similar times. Either way.

The way I saw it was that I found I spent more time removing NVG in the init of units than I would spend adding them. So I just made the default with no visible NVG.

Putting it in the inventory was strictly for human players. AI can be coded to add them.

However, if someone wants to create a config to add as an option, go ahead.

If someone wants to make them compatible for something like Alive, again, go ahead. Or let me know what I need to do.

I will put it on steam workshop. Just haven't looked into it yet.

And one thing you might notice, the units look completely different in the city. I think the streets are so bright, the colors I used make them look blah. And I will also add more "ethnic diversity".

I do have hex and woodland "army" versions using AAF too. They were done first, so not as good as I want. But I might wait for the green I will use for forest or jungle since the woodland and arid fit in the same kind of environments.

*****I would like some input for colors I should use for vehicles. Im not going to use the same camo colors as the soldiers.

Also, if you check back here, I will post some pics of the new colors for jungle or forest so you guys can give input.

Thanx for the detailed reply regarding future plans etc.  I have included a link from the ALiVE wiki regarding what is needed to make your faction/units compatible with ALiVE Mod.  If you feel this is something you could incourperate within your mod, I plus a great deal of others would be very appreciative of :)

http://alivemod.com/wiki/index.php/Declaring_Faction_Mappings

:ph34r:  :torture:

beautiful job! i'm in love for the semiarid camo that matchs perfectly with the csat 's pilot camo !

why not with the AAF uniform reskin in the same manner? maybe with the kerry's platecarrier...... just a suggestion

it would be a perfect faction for the upcoming tanoa........

Hi!

Please add this to Play withSix, I know many people dislike it, but its the only way my friends will use mods - we are too stubborn to use the workshop, and too lazy to need to manually update mods.

If there is a specific reason why you can't do this please let me know. Thanks anyway for the fantastic mod :)

Really nice job, thanks man!

BTW:

I get this Error Message on Startup:

No Entry

bin\config.bin/CfgVehicles/I_Sharpshooter_F.Scope

• Like 1

Same error, otherwise it's excellent ;)

Nice to see some armaverse mods, they are so rare now...