Sign in to follow this  
Mynock

Lasing targets on Death Valley mission questions.

After 300 hours of Arma 3 I have finally made it to Camp Maxwell in the beginning of the campaign (yes, I really, really, really suck at this game). Embarrassingly, it's taken me this long on the easiest possible settings the game allows. Now I'm on the Death Valley mission but something is not right with how I am doing the mission because I am unable to complete it. I am able to obtain the UAV and get it in the air, switch to thermal, and find the spotter. I click the fire button to laser the target, but nothing seems to happen after that. I thought I was doing what was instructed, and I seem to be following what the various threads and videos out there say to do, but I must be doing something wrong because I laser the target for a really long time and then the mission just fails saying Bravo has been killed. I'm not really sure what else I'm supposed to do, and the spotters are too far for me to run over there and kill them myself in time, that is if I could even find them in the woods on foot.

Does the UAV need to be within a certain range of the target you are lasering? Do I need to not put the laser right on the guy with the binoculars and instead laser the general area? I'd like to maybe finish the campaign in under 1000 hours of trying, but after approx. 40 restarts on this mission now simply due to nothing happening when I laser the targets, I'm starting to feel stuck. Dying because I suck is one thing, but being stuck because I don't understand why what I'm doing is not working despite exhausting the available resources I have is slightly more frustrating.

Running 100% vanilla for the campaign. No mods of any kind running, not even AI mods.

Any insight is appreciated.

I'll have a quick play through of the mission (on Dev version rather than stable), but it sounds like you're doing it right. One thing to check, are you lasing targets on the north side of the valley? I know people have mistaken Charlie (on the south side) for the spotters before. In theory you need to point the laser within 10m of the spotters.

EDIT: No issue here, Charlie took both of them out with a single Grenade shortly after lasing them.

I'm putting the laser on the correct people, I watched some videos to verify. I think I'm going to have to maybe restart the mission and go up on that hill and wait. I'll let the AI clear the town and then when the spotters appear I'll just have to try and take them out myself. Not sure why it wouldn't be working. I'm on the stable version too. I'm not really sure what else to do =/ Thanks for your response and checking the issue yourself. Obviously it's something on my end which I figured from the start, just no clue what it could be.

I was finally able to finish the mission. I had to verify my game cache for some reason. No clue why, but after I went through that process I was able to laser the target first try and Charlie took care of business. Finally onto the next mission which I'm sure I'll get stuck on for many, many hours too :)