Sign in to follow this  
farran

Wish that Steam Workshop ....

Hi all,

I wish that ALL addons, missions, etc. in the future, are posted on the Steam Workshop.

From the beginning we were against this but now sees an extreme advantage in Steam Workshop

as "Arma" players regarding auto updates, easy installation, etc. without having to explain, linking the

installation procedures for all new players over and over again.

And when game day comes, everyone has the correct version of their addons and they don't need to do anything.

As a guild, some of us spend an enormous amount of time on just updates, sync between the player's versions of

existing addons etc. so everyone has the right versions. Looking for missions and addons on Steam Workshop

is a dream compared to Armaholic etc. and playwithsix is ​​a pain for new and some players but still a really good tool

for connecting to unknown servers with right addon versions.

Why not just use a single source for all missions / addons? problem solved!

There are websites out there just for Arma, extremely messy with the search function from the early 90s.

We have now taken the decision that all members of our clan will retrieve all the addons from the Steam Workshop only.

Our dedicated server has all the lates and same version as every player in our clan every time we play without doing anything.

Only to get an easy manner without explanation each time an addon will be installed and the time just goes.

Players get tired and will go "must go, have fun"

All to make everything easier for all players.

And dedicated and addons via steam workshop are a dream today.

If all server owners / players uses same the source for addons it will never be an issue again.

Same versions everywhere and all are happy.

Best regards
Farran

Hi all,

I wish that ALL addons, missions, etc. in the future, are posted on the Steam Workshop.

Not gonna happen with the current Steam EULA

From the beginning we were against this but now sees an extreme advantage in Steam Workshop

as "Arma" players regarding auto updates, easy installation, etc. without having to explain, linking the

installation procedures for all new players over and over again.

The so called extreme advantage is there only the for users, not for the creators. 

As a guild, some of us spend an enormous amount of time on just updates, sync between the player's versions of

existing addons etc. so everyone has the right versions. Looking for missions and addons on Steam Workshop

is a dream compared to Armaholic etc. and playwithsix is ​​a pain for new and some players but still a really good tool

for connecting to unknown servers with right addon versions.

I, as an content creator, and i pretty sure others would agree, have spent and enourmous amount of time just to provide you with the content you play with. I will not have my IP shared with Valve just because it is easier for the end user to click 1 button instead of 3.

We have now taken the decision that all members of our clan will retrieve all the addons from the Steam Workshop only.

Our dedicated server has all the lates and same version as every player in our clan every time we play without doing anything.

That is great. Just make sure that in the process you do NOT upload other's people content on Steam Workshop just as well. I have just filled 2 DMCAs for RHS content found in different user "packs" on Steam Workshop. The amount of content i see being uploaded there withot consent is huge. Read Steam EULA while you're on the subject.

Only to get an easy manner without explanation each time an addon will be installed and the time just goes.

Players get tired and will go "must go, have fun"

All to make everything easier for all players.

And dedicated and addons via steam workshop are a dream today.

It seems your only concern is towards the players. How about all these people who spent their free time to provide you with the scenarios and gear in the first place?

If all server owners / players uses same the source for addons it will never be an issue again.

Same versions everywhere and all are happy.

who is "all are happy" people in your sentence? 

• Like 19

I'm all for Workshop myself, but it's all up to the content creators where they put their stuff.

My crystal ball says this thread shall suffer the same fate as this recent one.

There will be an outrage, you will be called names and some vocal people will attack you and your kind for things you haven't even said. :D

I hate Steam Workshop. It is really pain in the ass when looking for mods. If you want to stay on old version of mod it is impossible with it. If mod author deletes steam mod, your mod is deleted too. A lot of mods don't have full info in description.
Really, the best mod repo - armaholic. It is well systemized, simple with good support and search features. Oh, it also has a lot of scripts!
Steam Workshop is good for novice players but not for veterans.

P. S. Arma3.de is good too. I don't use PWS because you have to install their software.

• Like 2

And I really don't see what's so complicated using Arma3Sync. Workshop sucks in so many different ways right now.

I use and like the workshop, when my terrain is finished i intend to publish it there.

It's simple to use, automatically pushes updates and i'm not part of the tin foil hat brigade that belive Steam is evil.

It just my 2 cents here, no offend to anyone or anything regards tools / homepages that really help out the modders enourmous amount of time

they spend on addons/missions.

I'm happy but... it was just my wishlist.

I use and like the workshop, when my terrain is finished i intend to publish it there.

And that is your prerogative.

It's simple to use, automatically pushes updates and i'm not part of the tin foil hat brigade that belive Steam is evil.

If the only level of discussion you can handle is around the "tin foil hat", maybe it would be wiser for you to simply refrain.

No one said "don't" use steam. But since the OP said: everyone USE steam, there are some of us that will not. We all have our reason why we should or shouldn't.

Since i don't tell you or anyone else: steam is bad, steam is shit, don't use it, i expect the same in return: don't tell me what i should or shouldn't use. That's all

• Like 2

No one said "don't" use steam. But since the OP said: everyone USE steam, there are some of us that will not. We all have our reason why we should or shouldn't.

Since i don't tell you or anyone else: steam is bad, steam is shit, don't use it, i expect the same in return: don't tell me what i should or shouldn't use. That's all

No one said "use Steam" either. :huh:

This doesn't sound like OP is saying what you should or shouldn't use. Hence the phrase "I wish". That's his prerogative.

No one said "use Steam" either. :huh:

This doesn't sound like OP is saying what you should or shouldn't use. Hence the phrase "I wish". That's his prerogative.

If you really need to be picky of the sake of being picky, go right ahead, but at least say it like that so i can stop wasting my time here.

Saying "i wish everyone would use steam", while i is not a command of course, being posted in the addon discussion thread instead of OT, is a lighter version of can you lads please all use steam from now on? Otherwise why would he feel the need to explain himself?

If you want a discussion is one thing, if you want to simply contradict me, i doubt this is the place. The main reason i keep coming back to this topic is NOT because of the number of steam uploads i need to take down per week: around 4-5 each time i have a look, although RHS stance has been explained so many times before...

EDIT

...the number of other people's work i see when i do this, is mindboggling. I can only fill DMCAs for the content i own, but if i would have to do it for everyone's else i wouldn't have time to do anything else the entire week...Do you wanna tell me that everything is alright?

I wasn't trying to be picky. But I guess I'm just that naive that I thought OP was sincerely wishing and encouraging modders to use Steam by pointing out its good qualities.

+1 to everything PuFu has mentioned.

I absolutely despise Steam in general, and I really wish that one day users and creators will drift farther away from it rather than adopt it as a standard. Sure, for the average PC user that isn't real computer savvy, Steam might seem like a godsend, since it basically handles all the technical shit for you. But for those of us that actually give a damn about what goes on our computers (as well as what happens with the content we create), Steam just isn't the answer we were looking for. For me personally, its Armaholic until the day I quit playing, a community supported website that has been with the series since the start. Hell, I would even opt for PWS or something of the sorts before I would support anything from Valve. Steam wouldn't even be installed right now if it wasn't for A3. The main gripe I have with that whole upload system, is the fact that ANY user can upload someone elses content, regardless of whether they are the author or not, and they can package it all together in a way that its hard for the actual authors to realize that their content was used/uploaded. Why is it right for a user (you) to upload an authors (my) content without their express knowledge or consent? When you had absolutely 0% to do with the creation of the said content. Anyways, those are my thoughts on it, so for the day everyone hops on the Steam Workshop train, I'll be more than happy to keep my luggage with me when I don't hop on board.

I wasn't trying to be picky. But I guess I'm just that naive that I thought OP was sincerely wishing and encouraging modders to use Steam by pointing out its good qualities.

It's no problem at all to point out things that you like or wishing for things to happen, but my question is, why can't we retaliate with our own thoughts on its so called 'good qualities' and share our opinions on why we think this is a bad idea. There are also plenty of bad qualities that should be mentioned here as well as the good.

• Like 1

Seeing as they would've had to interact with steam to purchase the game, If modders aren't already using other aspects of the service, it's likely because they don't want to. Not out of ignorance.

i'm not part of the tin foil hat brigade that belive Steam is evil.

I don't understand the use of that term. Since when is it paranoid to be wary of corporate groups and state institutions? I can see how it may have developed as a response to extreme cases. But I don't see how that applies here. Being cautious about sharing information and work is not paranoid. It's a simple, personal choice. And certainly not something to apologise for. :)

I don't understand the use of that term. Since when is it paranoid to be wary of corporate groups and state institutions? I can see how it may have developed as a response to extreme cases. But I don't see how that applies here. Being cautious about sharing information and work is not paranoid. It's a simple, personal choice. And certainly not something to apologise for. :)

From previous threads like this, who think Steam will then claim ownership of peoples work and make money from it, it's the authors choice where they have their work hosted but i see the workshop as a positive feature.

I absolutely despise Steam in general, and I really wish that one day users and creators will drift farther away from it rather than adopt it as a standard. Sure, for the average PC user that isn't real computer savvy, Steam might seem like a godsend, since it basically handles all the technical shit for you. But for those of us that actually give a damn about what goes on our computers (as well as what happens with the content we create), Steam just isn't the answer we were looking for. For me personally, its Armaholic until the day I quit playing, a community supported website that has been with the series since the start. Hell, I would even opt for PWS or something of the sorts before I would support anything from Valve. Steam wouldn't even be installed right now if it wasn't for A3. The main gripe I have with that whole upload system, is the fact that ANY user can upload someone elses content, regardless of whether they are the author or not, and they can package it all together in a way that its hard for the actual authors to realize that their content was used/uploaded. Why is it right for a user (you) to upload an authors (my) content without their express knowledge or consent? When you had absolutely 0% to do with the creation of the said content. Anyways, those are my thoughts on it, so for the day everyone hops on the Steam Workshop train, I'll be more than happy to keep my luggage with me when I don't hop on board.

While i don't disagree with most of your points you raise....it was Bohemia Interactive's choice to throw all their eggs into the Steam basket when they launched Arma 3.

BI continually regard the modding community as an integral part of the process but they seem to be turning a blind eye to the creative abuse suffered by the modding community in and around the Steam Workshop......if it were my choice, Steam Workshop would be solely an outlet for Missions/Scenarios, but to have it as a one-stop shop for all community created content is proving to be a rather sharp thorny subject. 

I read the first post and thought "What a naive view".

I read PuFu's post and I completely agreed (Anyone that knows me will know I was one of the first nay-sayers).

I read subsequent replies and it makes me sad that so many people don't care about the Author's rights. Nor do they take the time and try and do any objective research to see if their opinion is actually valid.

Slightly Off topic; where is the "dislike" button?

• Like 7

Agreed.

A3sync is easy to use. Just put up a repo server and you just have to explain once. And you have full control of what your group uses.

Other than missions I make, my pbos arrnt getting anywhere near steam. And who puts em up there and has the balls to state it's their own work, will get them ripped off violently. (as happend some timen ago)

Agreed.

A3sync is easy to use. Just put up a repo server and you just have to explain once. And you have full control of what your group uses.

Other than missions I make, my pbos arrnt getting anywhere near steam. And who puts em up there and has the balls to state it's their own work, will get them ripped off violently. (as happend some timen ago)

The fact that you are posting saying you are concerned about "your work" getting ripped off is hilarious.  "your work" is other people's efforts repackaged and your tag slapped on it.

The only way i can see everyone using steam workshop is if you can have it so if you join a modded server and you can automatically download the mods needed like "garrys mods". Then i would support steam workshop. 

To you RHS guys i support you for not putting your work on steam workshop, i read over there EULA and it is unfair. 

Steam Workshop is actually only interesting for those players and communities who can't or don't want to hazzle with better distribution tools such as Arma3Sync. If you actually think steam workshop is a good way to distribute mods in your community, I would change the community as soon as possible.

• Like 1

ITT elitist people.

I wish more mods were on Steam too, I love arma but I'm not part of any community. I love finding mods for my few friends willing to play Arma, and it's always a pain in the ass to make them download mods from armaholics (oh wait, server down, we can't dl at the moment), or use bad tools like A3launcher or PlaywithSIX that takes forever to download ("-wanna play ? -yeah sure -ok, install that software, then DL those mods and see you in 3 days"). I also can't afford to pay a 30$/month fps to store my mods library, so steamworkshop is really cool to me : fast download, everyone has the same version, direct recognition by Arma 3 steam launcher.

Hopefully, some nice modders are putting their work on Workshop and I thank them for that possibility.

My2cents, I understand that blablabla steamisevil EULA says that they can rip my bloody work, crycrycry but i don't agree with that, and i don't think they will ever steal my work.

My2cents, I understand that blablabla steamisevil EULA says that they can rip my bloody work, crycrycry but i don't agree with that, and i don't think they will ever steal my work.

May you share your work, please? Give some links on your mods in Steam Workshop. Want to make sure that you know what you are talking about and have already donated any of them to Valve.

Wrong card mate, I made a TF2 model pack for free. Some dota 2 models workshop and TF2 workshop items too.

Unfortunately Armaholic has not kept up with technology, and we still have to submit our work to the 1-2 staff who are able to update pages. The lack of ability to keep our own pages up to date is off-putting, and of course there is a delay between when your work can be published to when it actually is published.

I can press a button on Steam Workshop and my stuff is published. If I discover a bug or serious issue, it takes me 30 seconds to publish the fix.

Contrast with Armaholic, where this process can take days if you catch them at a bad time.

Of course I don't like the EULA of Steam Workshop, however I'm not capable of creating anything which many people would go through the trouble of pinching :)

Unfortunately Armaholic has not kept up with technology, and we still have to submit our work to the 1-2 staff who are able to update pages. The lack of ability to keep our own pages up to date is off-putting, and of course there is a delay between when your work can be published to when it actually is published.

Kind of funny so many people only critize Armaholic yet nobody wonders why things are how they are....

Keep bashing my work, keep using ad blockers, keep busy writing all negative crap about my website and keep busy not supporting my work in whatever way. I really have not much interest to develop something for this Arma community (which does not mean I am standing still, just dont expect I do it for you people).

But.....what am I thinking actually responding here. Ciao!