silola

[WIP] Terrain "X-Cam-Taunus"

Looking stunning as ever gents, one thing, the ground texture in the kids park is way to big, that needs to be reduced in size

Looking stunning as ever gents, one thing, the ground texture in the kids park is way to big, that needs to be reduced in size

thanks aussie..

texture looks smaller ingame :-) or better...more harmonic...

Regards

Chaser

Hi,

we have good news and bad news.

The bad news first :( :

We are out of power and out of motivation after 5.5 million objects and around 9 month of hard work.
And ... the team has shrunk by half :(

In addition, new problems arise as soon as Arma gets a new patch.
Free according to the motto: 3 bugs fixed, 6 new bugs inserted. That's absolutly annoying and frustrating.

I think a part of the team will leave the Arma modding community,
because it makes absolutly no sense to invest so much time and at the end some parts of the project are broken.

Now the good news :) :

We will release Taunus around Christmas, anyway how finished the map is.
I think the current state is 90% and I hope we can reach 95% ... maybe more.

I will also try to create Taunus at the end as a CUP version (only 2 object types to modify).
I really don't know if we are able to complete Taunus in 2017 or to fix all the different bugs (for sure you will find many of them ;)

Perhaps Hotzenplotz has the muse and the time to invest further work in Taunus, but I will definitely not continue the work.
So, stay tuned and hope that the next Arma patch will bring some improvements instead of destroying more and more.

We really like the Arma community, but we don't like the Arma engine anymore. This time is now over.

Thanks for understanding.

X-Cam-Taunus-Team

MH0K1SD.jpg

Qb6yucu.jpg

EprVmy8.jpg

ZOH6dgY.jpg

yy5l6DH.jpg

cd7wM3e.jpg

2GcUFH6.jpg

K3tT84X.jpg

Full album: http://imgur.com/a/MZr5d

Silola

• Like 16

Thanks for the info Silola. I would offer help but I cannot stop work on my current projects :/ there are just too many open and I'm unable to finish them.

I am well aware of how patches break up game, I haven't seen this much frustration since Novalogic's Joint Operations: Typhoon Rising. Every patch broke the game further until we had to stop playing it ;)

• Like 3

Dont worry about it, i dont know about the others but i dont mind the lacks here and there of the incomplete, it makes it up fully in my eyes with the attention to detail on the parts that are not done

It's sad to see you go, thank you for all the hard work you've put into this. Farewell and good luck in your future endeavors!

Thank you for your hard work. I think this Map will look great even with 95% finished.

Damn, this just feels so bad. It's indeed good news that you're releasing the map but the weight of the bad news (in combination of the Exile modder's goodbye post) feels just terrible.
I mean, BI says they're commited to the game, expanding it further but at the same time fantastic, prominent and UBER-talented modders are leaving the game because with every patch something importants goes to fucking pieces... This just feels like a shitty dillema! :( Dunno what to say............

EDIT:

Yes, I know what to say.
Just THANKS, Silola! You created such amazing things for the Arma engine, DAC and above all xCam, this was just awesome! :) The possibilities with xCam are just unbelievable, I really couldn't believe it watching your tutorial videos. :D Even now with the EDEN 3D editor xCam has its reason for existance, as it complements EDEN in some areas, respectively in some cases it's much more useful.

Also thanks for the whole Taunus team - I hope some of you keep it up!

• Like 5

Such a shame that arma couldn't keep you guys. It's of course understandable. This is you free time and filling it with frustration ain't no way to roll. Thanks a lot for the pending "as is" release. I think the community will be grateful.

Good luck with your future projects, whatever they may be!

I can help Silola, I've just finished an update of Australia so I have free time if you need assistance let me know :)

• Like 5

Very sorry to hear that news Silola. The last couple of Arma updates have seemed to cause modders a lot of problems. We can only hope that there will not be any more major changes to the base game anytime soon and mods will no longer be broken.

Going and taking a break sounds like a good idea-maybe in the future you will decide to return to this, or other projects. 

I am looking forward to seeing this amazing map-I imagine even in it's 90% state it will be an incredible experience :)

Thanks again.

• Like 1

Bad news indeed. Always enjoyed the x-cam terrain, can't wait to try out Taunus.

DAC was an unforgettable experience for me, discovering it back during armed assault times when being fairly new to scripting and mission making.

Spawning units mid mission has been far beyond my own knowledge back then.

Hard to believe this was almost 10 years ago.

DAC2 finally made me jump into the nightmarish, kafkaesque activity that is called .sqf.

Had a bad feeling about this when räuber hotzenplotz announced a statement of you last week.

The arma series is a terrible joyful ride, the more you get involved in creating content for it, the more likely it is for stuff to get broken.

Then there's these irritating, constantly ongoing issues,

like a maximum horizontal velocity of 54km/h during freefall as infantry (which was working fine in A2, 220km/h+),

or AI pilots refusing to use chopper/jet headlights in "SAFE" mode (which was working fine in A2),

unarmed AI units being unable to sprint, even if their lives would depend on it,

and last but not least that weird visual "upgrade" that caused loads of issues, adding a blue fog over all ported A2 maps and making Altis and Stratis look out of place,

without fixing lighting issues that have been in game since forever, like buildings not interrupting light sources, etc.

Not to mention the issues it caused everyone involved in terrain creation.

Time moves on, same as people move on. Considering what's happening to arma in the last months it's totally understandable.

Hope you still have fun in whatever you're doing!

All the best to the Taunus team and thanks for putting in that much time and effort.

Cheers

• Like 4

Maybe, just maybe one day BI will release some map making tools as simple as the Cities Skylines ones. Then we will hopefully see ever more quality maps like this! 

• Like 1

I would play this map either finished or unfinished, but I hope that you can do it with honor to the end. 

While I can understand your decision to quit Arma modding, I am a bit confused by your announcement. Creating such an amazing map that easily can rival the official maps if not even surpass them is something you can be really proud of. Now you are saying map status is 90% finished and you hope to reach 95% or even more in 3 weeks until Christmas...why then not finish it completely, if there is not more than 5% left ( not speaking about bugs only BI can fix) This masterpiece deserves it to be completed and you should go for it even if you hate working on it at the moment. You will for sure regret it one day if not doing so.

just my 2 cents, people will love it anyway (me too)

thx for all your hard and amazing work :)

• Like 1

The map seems to be big and detailed, so while the 5-10% percent doesn't sound much, it's still a lot of work.

I'm following this thread since the beginning and it's too bad that the comunity will loose this fantastic team.

I truly much appreciate what you did and I'm absolutely impressed by your results.

Your decision makes me really sad... but is fully understandable... and you are not alone with your decision. A lot of senior developer teams left the Arma comunity because of the BI update strategy and the latest update changes/desaster.

Well... however... it's good that we all will have the chance to play Taunus.

And folks...  don't forget... when it's out, enjoy the map as much as possible.

The next update is coming... and for sure most of the existing community content will be unplayable or will not work.

BTW... any comments from BI??  My impression is that they los the contact to the comunicty base and are flying in a 10km orbit, don't care about comunity content.

Just my impression... maybe I'm wrong... but the trend in the last month is very clear.

• Like 1

Many thanks guys !

To make it clear ... I don't want to de-install Arma3, but I want to stop working on any mod whatever, because it's to much time intensive.

I will "play" some missions@taunus, of course, but that's all.

I know, the last 5-10% sounds like ... work for only a few more days,
but exactly the final part of such a project is very time consuming and for me there is no free time left after Christmas.

That's the reason for this step, but as I said before ... Hotzenplotz and maybe EH_Chaser and Deox will continue the work around Taunus, but it will take some time.

I can not guarantee that. It must be decided by the rest of the team.

Until Christmas I will work erery damn day at Taunus in order to finish different areas as much as possible (I can only speak for myself) and that's all what I can do now.

So, hold on and wait for the release day :)

Greetings

Silola

• Like 12

We would like to tease you a little bit more and will do a bit more streaming of taunus gameplay.

We start at 10 pm GMT+1 on 2nd Dec 2016.

Channel will be http://twitch.tv/eh_chaser

Hope to see some of your guys tomorrow.

Best Regards

Chaser

• Like 7

Good luck Silola with your next projects.

P.S. so about that 5% unfinished, do you mean it will be blank map with nothing on it, if so, would it mabye be better to just cover that large area in forest.

Good luck Silola with your next projects.

P.S. so about that 5% unfinished, do you mean it will be blank map with nothing on it, if so, would it mabye be better to just cover that large area in forest.

If this is the case we will see how we will handle it...we have some ideas if this will happen..

Regards

Chaser

• Like 2

STREAM CANCELLED 

due to technical issues with the server provider..

We are very sorry..

Regards

Chaser

Your decisions are very respectful and valid, Silola.

As told many times before, modding is just another hobby that you're doing for your own enjoyment and definitely improvement (knowledge-wise, personality-wise, etc.). And the definition of hobby most likely says you can take it up or leave it at any time you like. People will completely understand and support the decision ;)

Unless we're talking about the wrong kind of people... the ever-requesters, the trolls, the idiots. The internet has tons of different flavors you can "enjoy" :D