silola

[WIP] Terrain "X-Cam-Taunus"

Also think it looks better with the update.. Altis got so so much better to.

Don´t give up for this considering how much time you have put in..

Map looks amazing.. 

Edit: And this visual update fixed a lot of bugged shadows thats been stalking ARMA 3 for a long time

• Like 1

Taunus guys you are right, according to screenshots it looks terrible now. The second picture looks like hingeflatterter Durchfall. But why not ask BIS directly about what can be done? They often promote big user made content and probably are willing to help.

• Like 1

This is why dev-branch exists. All the people stopping development on their terrains should have checked out the visual update sooner. If you are surprised at how "bad" your terrain looks now post 1.60, it is your own fault. For the record, I personally still think Taunus looks fine and should continue to be developed.

• Like 12

when I see the post from greenberret40 with the facts.

You're seeing "facts" from someone who hasn't adjusted the the new settings on their client end viewing a map with incorrect lighting values.  Once the map's lighting values are correctly set and client settings are adjusted to taste then things will look proper just like the CUP 1.1 images someone posted.  

• Like 2

You're seeing "facts" from someone who hasn't adjusted the the new settings on their client end viewing a map with incorrect lighting values. Once the map's lighting values are correctly set and client settings are adjusted to taste then things will look proper just like the CUP 1.1 images someone posted.

I don't know. At least to me, all of the CUP desert maps look like that. It's awful. That last image Greenberet40 is a perfect representation of what I'm seeing on my computer. What was once warm and golden and full of character is now a minty washout of bleach and green.
  • Like 1

I think we should wait a bit and give modders some time to play around with new configs and all should be fine. Thing is (not implying that you did that, just an observation) copying configs from Altis will not work on non-mediterranean maps. That is why e.g Taunus or any sandy map looks like that. Just be patient, people can wait months for a need mod but can`t wait few weeks to sort things out.

• Like 1

Its really quaint that everyone ignores sqb-sma´s posting with video of the map esseker.

Its really quaint that everyone ignores sqb-sma´s posting with video of the map esseker.

Eh? Not all the materials were reworked, so still work to do. Just pointing out it *can* be done.

Also, check the visual upgrade feedback thread here: https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/189808-visual-upgrade-%E2%80%93-feedback/page-27

Lots of people posting ways to manage improper lighting there.

I don't get it - why it's so hard to contact BIS for indications on what's needs to be change to config lighting to your own preferences?

BIS even expressed interest in helping the terrain makers: https://twitter.com/Arma3official/status/737676879189016576

Things couldn't get easier. Also hopefully - there's a tutorial coming soon from BIS or some experienced island makers.

Don't let the Taunus die, guys! The hardest part is of course to finish what you've started. We fully believe you and your abilities to make amazing environments.

Don't let some lighting to set you back, the lighting will get better within time as it's tweaked.

• Like 4

I dont like the new color&lightning settings. And for me the Clouds are looking like cotton candy. very unrealistic for me. moon image has ugly borders. i see no stars at night ???? i go conform with Taunus Team. For me its a visual downgrade. And the better Water representation dont count it out.

just my 2 cent

I don't get it - why it's so hard to contact BIS for indications on what's needs to be change to config lighting to your own preferences?

BIS even expressed interest in helping the terrain makers: https://twitter.com/Arma3official/status/737676879189016576

Things couldn't get easier. Also hopefully - there's a tutorial coming soon from BIS or some experienced island makers.

Don't let the Taunus die, guys! The hardest part is of course to finish what you've started. We fully believe you and your abilities to make amazing environments.

Don't let some lighting to set you back, the lighting will get better within time as it's tweaked.

I will add to this that BIS will most likely keep improving the new visuals (I'm thinking about shadows on & from vegetation, amongst other things that could use some tweaking).

Be patient & see how things go, you guys deserve a break anyway!

• Like 3

Hi,

thanks for the discussion.

Please note ... we don't want to cancel the Taunus project, but yes ... we are a bit disapointed about the new visuals
and that's the reason for the current break ... it's more a de-motivation thing.

We know, the larger part of the community likes the new visuals, and we also like many parts of it,
but there are some things we don't like ... that's all ;)

And of course ... we had tested an early dev version with the new visuals, but belive me...
we have recently believed that these color shifts, the color disharmony and this terrible shadows would never released in this form.
We had the hope that everything will be fine after release of the RC version.

If our map is the only one in the community, which would have these problems, I would say it's okay if we contact BI,
so that we get some relevant tips, etc.

But in my opinion there is a fundamental problem and when I imagine, each Mapper with the same problem would contact BI
in order to ask for a solution ... I guess BI goes crazy then.

So, why the hell there is no "temporary step by step solution" available (made by BI), because only the developers exaclty know which parameters have to be changed
in order to get a better result ... a result near the old Arma version.

I don't believe, that the problems can be solved by simpley changing some config values or something like this.
I've tested many different maps in the past days (all maps with updated configs for 1.60),
but all these maps looks horrible like Taunus in connection to the shadows and the color harmony (my personal impression):

I belive it's a kind of an engine, rendering whatever problem ... very especially the shadow problems.

For me ... a visual improvement would been to increase the shadowmap resolution and at the same time to lift the shadow viewdistance, for example,
because this part of the engine looks not very modern, not realy improved since Arma 1 ... very sad in my opinion :(

At the end we hope for a fix or somthing like that, to get the old feeling back @Taunus (yes, we feel it ;)).

Thanks for understanding !!!

Silola

• Like 19

I think the difference is that on ALTIS the changes look great... I love em. But on other not vanilla or older maps... they look rubbish....

QuZZ6C7.jpg

RAMnNgg.jpg

• Like 2

I think they should have kept the visual rework for Altis/Stratis and Tanoa. They designed it primarily around those maps, so obviously it doesn't do other maps much justice. I'm running legacy for the time being until they work something out or I give in. I also don't want to download a million gigabytes of updated terrains.

Any map not using the new light source looks like hell so the map Devs will have to update their old maps to the new source, this is obvious. What I did to greatly improve the look of older maps was to make changes in the Brightness and Gama along with Color Saturation, all this was in-game adjustments. This greatly improved the old light source look on the old maps and the new ones as well. The color saturation was the biggest help in improving the look of the game.

Any map not using the new light source looks like hell so the map Devs will have to update their old maps to the new source, this is obvious. What I did to greatly improve the look of older maps was to make changes in the Brightness and Gama along with Color Saturation, all this was in-game adjustments. This greatly improved the old light source look on the old maps and the new ones as well. The color saturation was the biggest help in improving the look of the game.

It doesnt make any sense to make changes to the color settings in the configuration menu. The map needs to look good right on startup and not only after a session of adjusting sliders. So what we have to do now is to get in touch with those new config possibilities and apply them for Taunus in order to continue our work.

I think they should have kept the visual rework for Altis/Stratis and Tanoa. They designed it primarily around those maps, so obviously it doesn't do other maps much justice. I'm running legacy for the time being until they work something out or I give in. I also don't want to download a million gigabytes of updated terrains.

Basically I´d agree with you. But considering the future I disagree. The new lighting classes are enabling many interesting things that we can not see right now, but which will take place later.

What we now have to do is to adapt on that new Situation together with BIS what makes me hope that the promissed Tutorial will arrive quickly.

• Like 4

I look forward to your island, regardless of lighting. It's too beautiful to stop its progress. View of the island with a new lighting can edit patches.

I look forward to your island, regardless of lighting. It's too beautiful to stop its progress. View of the island with a new lighting can edit patches.

I think that I can safely say that the hold on the project wont last too long anymore, I´m making quite well progress in fixing the lighting issue. Besides this I am just about to create the ILS coordinates for the Airports on Taunus. The nothern one is already finished. 

• Like 22

I think that I can safely say that the hold on the project wont last too long anymore, I´m making quite well progress in fixing the lighting issue. Besides this I am just about to create the ILS coordinates for the Airports on Taunus. The nothern one is already finished. 

:627: :627: :627:  :yay: :yay: :yay:

Sorry my emotions ran high :P

• Like 4

The correct way to treat the new lighting as you'd treat any major ArmA update.

Sure the old lighting configuration looked 'good enough'. What BIS does is enables the engine to allow for a lot more, for the lighting to look even better. Of course a major change breaks things, or rather makes them work differently.

But ultimately it's the choice of "older, ok looking and stable" vs. "newer and better looking but it will take time and work".

Many ArmA2 maps didn't work right when loaded into ArmA3 either. It took quite awhile for AiA project to appear and fix everything. But the end result was well worth it.

It's the same thing now. Look how nice to the eye Tanoa looks. And if Tanoa can look that way - then any island can.

• Like 7

The correct way to treat the new lighting as you'd treat any major ArmA update.

Sure the old lighting configuration looked 'good enough'. What BIS does is enables the engine to allow for a lot more, for the lighting to look even better. Of course a major change breaks things, or rather makes them work differently.

But ultimately it's the choice of "older, ok looking and stable" vs. "newer and better looking but it will take time and work".

Many ArmA2 maps didn't work right when loaded into ArmA3 either. It took quite awhile for AiA project to appear and fix everything. But the end result was well worth it.

It's the same thing now. Look how nice to the eye Tanoa looks. And if Tanoa can look that way - then any island can.

Basically you´re right and I am very thankfull for your help. I am but not very sure what excatly this particular update will achieve ones it goes stable and evolves further. What I but have to say is that...for the moment...I dont really like the look of Tanoa...I know, it´s yet in DevBranch and thus it´s still in development and many things may change. But what I (and the Team) are wondering is...has this enhancement of the lighting really been necessary? 

Tanoa will be THE reference as the development goes on to answer this question and we´ll see whether or not the new lighting opportunities really are a real win for the Game und thus for the community. But for the Moment, I dont really see this. To be honest, Tanoa would´ve been look better with the old lighting....but this is my personal opinion. It also doesnt represent my overall opinion about the Game. But the main question still applies...has this really been necessary?

• Like 5

Visual update has obviously caused some turmoil in the terrain making teams. Lots of threads with frustrated/disappointed/angry people going around (including this one). All I can say is that this map is quite amazing, and having them languish on some abandoned hard drives would be quite the waste. Even a "as is" release perhaps?

• Like 2

Additional question: Can map makers influence the coloring of the sky, I mean the candy colored morning clouds..? I think, IRL you sometimes see those, but not every morning. I usually don't want to see that coloring.