khaki

Converting Eden Missions for Stable Branch

Is it possible to convert Eden-made missions to work with the stable branch?

Unfortunately I have not found an easy way to do this. 3DEN uses different SQM format (hence the reason for importing 2D missions into the editor) so in theory you could just figure out what has changed (im sure the list is extensive) and then go into the mission SQM and change the format yourself (or with a tool - I believe a community member is already working on something like this! ).

Other than that, I'm pretty sure there isnt a way.

Sorry to be the barer of bad news

Bull

Thats what I figured, oh well. I'll just have to patiently await its full release then.

Unfortunately I have not found an easy way to do this. 3DEN uses different SQM format (hence the reason for importing 2D missions into the editor) so in theory you could just figure out what has changed (im sure the list is extensive) and then go into the mission SQM and change the format yourself (or with a tool - I believe a community member is already working on something like this! ).

Other than that, I'm pretty sure there isnt a way.

Sorry to be the barer of bad news

Bull

From what I can tell so far, the things that changed are a small metadata header that stores some editor state info, the .sqm version number has been bumped, the way the entities are stored are no longer in separated into multiple classes, but instead are all inside one Entities class and a lot of object properties are now stored in the attributes class of the entity which provide a decent chunk of functionality.

Theoretically, it's possible to convert the new format to the old format (just like it's theoretically possible to write a mission.sqm by hand :p), but doing it manually for a large mission would be impractical due to those last two changes. For the small things, you might as well do it in the old 2D editor and save yourself the hassle.

• Like 1

So just to clarify: even for very rudimentary simple object placement, it's still better right now only possible to use 2C Editor>MCC>Zeus>SQM export>2D Editor

So just to clarify: even for very rudimentary simple object placement, it's still better right now only possible to use 2C Editor>MCC>Zeus>SQM export>2D Editor

I don't use MCC or Zeus for such things, so I can't say. I'm too used to just doing everything in the 2D editor. :P

But I'd say to stick to what works for you if your focus is the stable branch, until there is either a tool to automate it or 3DEN and the stable branch become compatible. 

If full compatibility with Stable is the most important thing for you, Zeus+MCC is certainly a better option. Not much for the alternatives yet, except for others tools like... Map Builder or X-cam (for export of object compositions).

Well, there's a hidden functionality our designers are sometimes using internally.

While in Eden, open debug console and execute the following code:

[] call BIS_fnc_3DENExportOldSQM;

It will copy old sqm mission file to clipboard. It's very simplified though - it exports only objects, and only some of their attributes (basically only position and direction). The function was created for exporting simple compositions, it in now way replaces full mission export.

• Like 8

Well, there's a hidden functionality our designers are sometimes using internally.

It will copy old sqm mission file to clipboard. It's very simplified though - it exports only objects, and only some of their attributes (basically only position and direction). The function was created for exporting simple compositions, it in now way replaces full mission export.

Whoa, this is great, guys!

This fnc exports everything placed on the map? Can you adjust it to export all currently selected objects or already saved compositions?

The more functionality, the brighter our lives :)

Simplified or not, it's already an immense help. I'm already porting stuff from Eden into stable!

hopefully bohemia will make a function to allow this

I'd rather see them finish the Eden update, no need for conversion once it is out...

Send from my tablet, so pardon any autocorrect bollocks

I'd rather see them finish the Eden update, no need for conversion once it is out...

Send from my tablet, so pardon any autocorrect bollocks

True, creating a function for exporting is an unecessary. It's probably 1 more month until we get 3den.

BIS_fnc_objectsgrabber works just fine. It puts it output on the clipboard.

Then back in stable branch, use BIS_fnc_objectsmapper to place them.

Tankbuster, can you elaborate a little on how you're using BIS_fnc_objectsgrabber? Are you running versions of both the DevBranch (with Eden) and the stable at the same time, and copying to clipboard and jumping over to the Stable to paste? (etc.)?

Tankbuster, can you elaborate a little on how you're using BIS_fnc_objectsgrabber? Are you running versions of both the DevBranch (with Eden) and the stable at the same time, and copying to clipboard and jumping over to the Stable to paste? (etc.)?

Exactly that, yes. I use the Game Updater in Arma Tools to maintain a simultaneous copy of stable and dev and use grabber after making the composition in Dev, then hop to stable and use mapper in to get the composition in my mission.

Is it possible to convert Eden-made missions to work with the stable branch?

To read the mission.sqm file  you need to convert it to such as a program Eliteness :627:

Alternatively, you can go into the mission.sqm and where you see Player = "PLAY CDG" change one of them to Player = "PLAYER COMMANDER" and you will be able to import it. Reasoning is there is no player selected in the original mission.

I tried this and yes it worked, if I wanted to keep it on mission side. I use to use M3Editor 0.18. Which by the way crashs my arma 3 after a short time.   I am trying to learn the arma 3's editor.  yesterday I built 2 bridges on Tanoa and btw it took almost 6 hours, well I am a nut about detail. So far love it. The only thing is I like to keep my builds on server side when I first make them. Later share.  I can not find any way to get them on to the server so that they are not on missions side. Links, information or what ever you can help me with, I thank you in advance.