deltagamer

Removal of the 2D Editor

I've been playing around on the Dev build that recently released the Eden Editor and so far I've got to say its going to be a huge upgrade in terms of mission making and quality it will bring us. Great job on that one Devs :rthumb: .

One thing you might notice however is the intent on removing the 2D Editor once the newer one is released. I can understand why you would want to remove it especially considering the fact that the Eden Editor will make the 2D one practically redundant so it might be a bit hard to argue why it should remain in-game. My main point would be that by having both 2D and 3D editors available, users can use the older system when needed and then if desired switch out to the newer one to finish their project off. It also keeps in the nostalgia feeling as well but that's not really the point.

I've had an interesting experience with the Eden Editor so far and I only really encountered one major bug (reason behind this post) that may cause issues for people building certain missions that include large script spawned ships, especially considering that if people are forced to use the 3D editor in the future. Now this was tested in both 2D and 3D editors and all was fine with the 2D one, it might also be best to take this out of context as firstly Eden Editor is work in progress and secondly I was trying to make a mission that had vehicles and objects placed on a modded ship (LPD mod). Basically it seems that how large ships are traditionally placed in the 2D editor and spawned in with the helper object and scripts are now broken in the newer 3D Editor. Mainly the deletion of an LPD or LHD can leave parts floating in the water that don't exist and can't be removed. There is also a case where you can place a vehicle on the ship then preview the mission and the placed vehicles go forward and toward the center of the ship. This is a huge issue for ship mods and with the newest map for A3 being mainly surrounded by water it would hopefully be a good idea to make sure users can still place and use these mods, even if its in an older redundant 2D Editor. Obviously I don't expect BI to make sure everything works with every mod, that just wouldn't work for them and would take up too much time. However the 2D editor seems to get past these issues so it would be a really good idea to leave it in the game, maybe even have it as an option you have to enable in the settings so you can see it in the menu.

I understand the Eden Editor is largely work in progress, and the issues I reported are not specific to vanilla content however I feel that if the 2D editor was kept in we won't have to worry about things like  this. Maybe more people can add to this and share discussion on the matter and the removal of the 2D editor.

Great work so far guys, BI have been taking the right direction for me ever since A3 was released.

Yeah, don't remove the 2D Editor, I think it's better we have both of them (with the import/export option 2D <-> 3D Editor)

One thing you might notice however is the intent on removing the 2D Editor once the newer one is released. 

Hello, and thanks for the positive feedback! Just to be absolutely clear about our intentions, the current plan is to 'fully release' the Eden Editor (i.e. publish it to the default branch of the game, for everyone) in the New Year. At this time, we would continue to support the 2D Editor (i.e., it would be available as it is now, on Dev-Branch).

When the expansion is released - at some point later in 2016 - we'll then consider removing the 2D Editor. Of course, we'd want to carefully consider our options, but the basic goal is to only have one tool to support and maintain, and only one type of mission export (saving the mission and sharing it).

There will probably be a lot of special cases (like you describe), so our current plan is to give ourselves the room to address the most important ones, and also give the community time to adapt / find new ways of achieving their dark magic in the new tool! If there's a specific issue you're facing now, we'd appreciate it if you'd post a ticket to the feedback tracker. Meanwhile, enjoy Eden editing!

Best,
RiE
  • Like 3

@royaltyinexile

Thanks for the quick response, would something like a poll on this post help with getting a general idea from users on here about their feelings toward the removal of the 2D editor? Whatever is decide I would imagine it would be for the best, looking forward to seeing what BI have in store for the future of A3. I'll also try my best to report issues like this with a decent amount of information on the feedback tracker to help make some obscure bugs known.

Cheers,

Delta.

Just an idea out of the blue:

Why not combine the 2D editor with the 3D editor? This way, you can instantly change views without having to go out to the main menu.

Eden Editor already has 2D map, just press 'M' ;)

• Like 4

The 2D editor is largely made redundant with this new 3D editor. This is lovely, but it's use remains for niche cases, like with the ship you mentioned and what other bugs we will see that affect the 3D editor but not the 2D one. If BI however can fix these issues, then the added ease of having to only maintain one editor is worth it. For this reason, I'm personally not bothered by it.

Just an idea out of the blue:

Why not combine the 2D editor with the 3D editor? This way, you can instantly change views without having to go out to the main menu.

Really, watch the stream or try the dev build. The 2D editor is a subset of Eden, anyone who still wants the old editor back after trying Eden ... well, I guess tastes are different, but the undo alone is worth ditching the old one.

Did I mention I love the new Editor? :)

• Like 2

Removing the old 2D editor is the best solution, one platform for all mission creators which can do "everything", that's what we need. In addition, keeping the editor adds only more potential work for the devs in the future as things may be broken etc.

It also keeps in the nostalgia feeling as well but that's not really the point.

If I remember correctly there were many players out there who said we were waiting for a proper editor 15 years (even though I can't agree with that). So to keep this old piece of junk, because of nostalgia is unecessary.

• Like 1

Removing the old 2D editor is the best solution, one platform for all mission creators which can do "everything", that's what we need. In addition, keeping the editor adds only more potential work for the devs in the future as things may be broken etc.

If I remember correctly there were many players out there who said we were waiting for a proper editor 15 years (even though I can't agree with that). So to keep this old piece of junk, because of nostalgia is unecessary.

Agreed, without a doubt the 3D editor will make the 2D one almost completely redundant. With the nostalgia thing, its not really the point I was trying to make just something I added that maybe I shouldn't have. The main point I wanted to really make clear was the fact that small things that the 2D editor can bring us like traditional spawning of large objects/ships may no longer be possible in the 3D editor, especially if the 2D editor is removed in the future we won't have this option. That is of course if the Devs can fix the issue I describe in the first post for the 3D editor. Its not really realistic for them to fix it as there is nothing like this for vanilla content so this is why I've raised my concerns about the removal of the 2D editor, there should at least be some form of legacy support either with the 2D editor or by fixing it in the 3D one. This is a really specific issue currently and doesn't really effect a large user base.

Really, watch the stream or try the dev build. The 2D editor is a subset of Eden, anyone who still wants the old editor back after trying Eden ... well, I guess tastes are different, but the undo alone is worth ditching the old one.

Did I mention I love the new Editor? :)

I was unaware of the 2D map feature, but it looks great, keep it up BI! :D (god I wish I could graduate sooner from high school so I can help you guys out :p )

The 2D editor isn't being removed. Just press 'M' and you're effectively using the same 2D editor we've used for years. 

The 2D editor isn't being removed. Just press 'M' and you're effectively using the same 2D editor we've used for years. 

Yep and with better features!

I approve, please keep the 2D Editor after APEX release, because this is a radical change and we need more time to adapt. Maybe you should remove it later in 2016 but please don't remove it so quickly.

You can remove the 2D editor, when you put the ID button into the Eden editor ... if not please leave it where it is :)

Regards Arkensor

please dont remove 2d editor, im a modder and eden editor dont read my mods (i dont know why) but 2d editor also read it, so if 2d editor is removed i cant do my missions with my mods :(

please dont say that pressing M it solves, the 2d version that is on Eden dont read my mods, theres an example of what happens: i made a building, i put it on empty, i go to 2d editor, its there! then i go to eden and theresnt at any part, i searched at blufor, opfor, independient, civil, empty and other sites and dont appear, i dont know why. and other mods that some friends do have the same problem, and the 2d version of eden dont make difference becouse use eden as base.

i made a building, i put it on empty, i go to 2d editor, its there! then i go to eden and theresnt at any part,

Both 2D Editor and Eden Editor are using the same object library and visibility settings. What's visible in one should be visible in the other as well. However, the Eden Editor is using updated object categorization.

I think they should keep the 2d editor but more allow export for the 2d to 3d and the other way around. This can allow old mission to be reworked in eden. 

I think they should keep the 2d editor but more allow export for the 2d to 3d and the other way around. This can allow old mission to be reworked in eden. 

You can open old missions in Eden. Doesn't work the other way around though.

I'd really like to have the merge feature put into the 3D editor if the 2D editor is going away for good.

I'd also like to be able to double click on an object or unit and have the option to change them. It was great in 2D if I wanted to change an EOD guy (for example) to an engineer. Or to try out a building and change it to another one quickly.

With 3D you have to completely delete the object, replace it and reset it.

I'd also like to be able to double click on an object or unit and have the option to change them. It was great in 2D if I wanted to change an EOD guy (for example) to an engineer. Or to try out a building and change it to another one quickly.

With 3D you have to completely delete the object, replace it and reset it.

Just double click it to open the attributes and change the class in the first section called "Object: Type".

• Like 1

Why remove it if it's not broken.

2D Editor is still great for making missions.

I think it's not about how fancy base you make in your mission, but how much fun you have creating it. And I think most of the fun is based in scripts rather than 3d or 2d editors. But 2d editor keeps everything simpler and seems to be more trustworthy and faster.

I noticed this just recently.

I have made over 40 missions in 2D editor!

What will happen to these missions if 2D is removed? Can I IMPORT them to 3D?

I noticed this just recently.

I have made over 40 missions in 2D editor!

What will happen to these missions if 2D is removed? Can I IMPORT them to 3D?

Yes... in 3D Editor the mission will be grayed out. Click on it to open and you will get the option to convert it... it will also create a backup of the old file in the folder...

I recommend trying this sooner rather than later as a test...