adanteh

Eden Feature Requests

I think some sort of way to reference a specific object by it's name while in Eden editor (as in not previewing) would be nice, currently there seems to be no way to do that, or am I missing something?

The get3DENEntityID or get3DENEntity commands seem to only work with player, if you name an AI soldier to bob and then do systemChat str get3DENEntity (get3DENEntityID bob) no chat is shown (appears to return just scalar in this case). :confused:

And even if that worked I find it a tad cumbersome to have to use two commands to get an entity instead of just one..

EDIT:

Oh, and one of the things I have always been missing in the editor since the dawn of time is 'campaign mode' by which I mean you could save missions as a campaign and have the editor create and update the campaign description.ext and so on.

Basically you would have a folder of missions, obviously a tree list in eden from which you could select a mission to load, and even preview the campaign as a whole so that it would play out as the finished campaign would but in the editor.

Of course this is a huge task to create and campaigns are the minute minor minority of stuff people do, but still. :p

get3DENEntityID returns unique index number of the entity within the editor, not its variable name. Indexes work with any entity type (e.g., objects, waypoints, markers, etc.), not just objects.

I'll investigate if it would be possible to assign variables you set already in the editor, so you could reference them for example in the debug console.

Some commands/utilities/quality of life changes for Eden modders would be nice.
I realise getting ever thing working for mission designers is more important but thought i would add some thoughts after messing around with modding Eden.

Moveable debug console, its currently stuck in the centre of the screen. Functions and Config viewer are moveable though.

Minor but grey out Eden when Functions and Config viewer are shown. Not to bad for functions but if you have a lot in your entities list it can make Config viewer a little hard to read.

As mentioned previously a hint ctrl.

A third option for Notifications would be good, so we have good - green, warning - yellow, error - red.

A hidden temporary layer or the addition of being able to hide a layer or a working layer that is ignored by saving, useful for placing temporary objects your using for a Eden feature.

Further eventhandlers like..
    OnObjectSelected - which monitors both 3D view and entities list and returns the object.

Some commands into
    line drawing - something that will take either UI positions or object positions.
    ( i suppose custom connection are some what of a fix for this if drawing object to object but i currently cannot get them to work? )
    3DENDrawLine [ OBJECT/POS2D_UI, OBJECT/POS2D_UI, COLOR ];

area creation ( same as shown for a trigger area )
    3DENDrawArea [ OBJECT/POS3D, A, B, DIR, COLOR ];

quick access to your bounding box routine
    3DENDrawBounds [ OBJECT, POS3D ]; - included POS as i could see uses for showing a bounds area displaced from the actual object.

3DENDrawBounds [ [ MINS, MAXS ], POS3D ];

On the editing side of things.
    All positions in a vehicle visible when dragging a unit over a vehicle, could show them in orange ( empty vehicle color ), so you can drop a unit in any slot you like.

Any chance we are likely to see a boundingBoxGeom command, i know it has been mentioned a few times in both FBT and development discussion.

Would make those over sized bounding areas a thing of the past as the current implementation seems to take getIn points/proxy positions into consideration rather than just querying the

geometry of an object and would be handy for both editor and in game when needing to dynamically make sure you have enough room to place an object.

Some visual aid when opening a map, currently when you double click a map to load it just sits there and there is no feedback that it is doing something. Maybe even just activate the button

so as to give feedback that the click was registered.

So far im enjoying the editor only few grumbles are, keybindings - i know this is something that is in the pipeline, speed of loading - that first entity wait time is excruciating especially when you constantly in and out of the editor testing scripts or Eden addons.

• Like 1

Great suggestions there larrow. One thing I'd like to add: Is it possible to make it easier for modders to create custom controls, or at least provide a few more examples on the wiki? It's the only thing I frequently have troubles with!

I suggest a simple but useful feature:

A moon phases calendar in the Intel / Edit Environment menu. A small symbol representing the different moon phases would fit perfectly next to the weekday (Mon, Tue, Wed, etc...) in the dropdown menu where you can select the date.

• Like 1

- Not strictly Eden related but it would also make dealing with dialogs easier if controls could be referenced to in scripts just via their class names -> getCtrl "myControl". :pray:

- Add possibility to use class names as attribute conditions instead of just objectBrain etc.. :pray:

On general usability something that crossed my mind was that the camera could automagically move to the first player unit inserted so you wouldn't have to either put the entity next to the camera or use 'Move here'?

Make it also toggleable in the prefs and no one needs to complain?

speed of loading - that first entity wait time is excruciating especially when you constantly in and out of the editor testing scripts or Eden addons.

+1

A moon phases calendar in the Intel / Edit Environment menu. A small symbol representing the different moon phases would fit perfectly next to the weekday (Mon, Tue, Wed, etc...) in the dropdown menu where you can select the date.

That's already in the config so far I remember, guess that why they came up with the new moonPhase command.

Moar suggestions:

• Keybinds for translation / rotation, etc. widgets. 3D Modelling software nailed this years ago. Also, show shortcuts in hover texts of widget buttons (ex., ...TEXT...(CTRL + A)).
  • Importing custom .ogg soundfiles when in editor? (Instead of the old way to configure everything in descr.ext once again.)
  • Why is Intel dialog named Environment? Its shortcuts is CTRL + I, which I'd assume refers to Intel, not Env. :)
  • Weather presets? Storm, hard rain, etc. Would make configuration of attributes less dirty. You click 'Hard Rain and Wind and you're done.
  • Debug Console select in General is buggy. It opens, but I can't select items with mouse. Must use KB to navigate.
    And when a select like that is open, pressing 'Enter' closes its "parent" (entire General dialog), not accepts currently open value.
  • Mission time toggle (incremental?). Holding Ctrl + Arrow up/down to increase time within intervals of 10 minutes or so.
    Right now, the workaround of selecting an appropriate time (for lighting and atmosphere purposes) is skipTime -+ 0.1 in Debug console.
    Could be improved.

More to come. What a lovely tool :)

Like this? ;)

(we actually had it ready for some time, it just didn't get to the final release)

3den_moon.jpg

• Like 1

Like this? ;)

(we actually had it ready for some time, it just didn't get to the final release)

Great! That will make choosing the date and time much easier.

Are the moon phases right, though  ? According to some moon phase calculator I found, they are off by a few days. It used to be off by two weeks or so, now it's about one week off

I knew I had seen that before somewhere. Looks great!

Are the moon phases right, though  ? According to some moon phase calculator I found, they are off by a few days. It used to be off by two weeks or so, now it's about one week off

They are not completely realistic. Some time ago we considered fixing it, but decided against it because it would affect already published night scenarios.

They are not completely realistic. Some time ago we considered fixing it, but decided against it because it would affect already published night scenarios.

published by BIS or custom scenarios ? if its need fixing just fix it ,its not new for the community to update the scenarios or mods after a update 

published by BIS or custom scenarios ? if its need fixing just fix it ,its not new for the community to update the scenarios or mods after a update 

There is absolutely no benefit of fixing it. Without 3den, I'd say yes fix it, because mission editors had to use moon phase calculator to find out when's a full moon night, but with the future additions to 3den, that becomes obsolete.

Is Possible to had Object ID's in the 2D map like in the old editor?

Object IDs are not longer supported, there are other solutions now, e.g, getTerrainObjects

Maybe it would be possible to implement this that I photoshoped.

I consider this to be a more convenient way of drag and drop units into the seats desired by a mission maker. Right now you need to populate the vehicle and then remove everyone that you do not require. And even then the unit will not be seated where I put him but will move to the co driver seat or whatever is next in line after the driver.

2016-03-05_00001_zpsal8jpyo4.jpg

• Like 3

The ability to relocate previously placed entities by clicking and dragging them from the left-hand "entities" menu onto a location on the map. It's something a dev attempted to do in an early eden livestream, and something that would be very useful in my opinion.

• Like 1

I think very useful a default settings to drag and drop.

Explanation: Selecting disabled physics in a menu and after of that all the vehicles dropped in the editor has the physics disabled by default.

Didn't understood at start what you mean, but yeah, that would be useful.

Didn't understood at start what you mean, but yeah, that would be useful.

Is to disable some features by default related to physics, damage, etc.

I think options to disable this by default - adding a new menu in the editor - may be useful instead using the multiple selection.

And we need an option - or script - to test the workflow of the mission while is running. Right now we can only make this using mods like my own SVDEBUG.

A tool integrated in the action menu to do this is vey useful to me to test mission. I make the SVDEBUG - and his previous released versions-  to edit and test missions in run time, (like a "tron" command version").

SVDEBUG sample:

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/187968-svdebug/

I see my own poor script copied again and gain. I think will be most useful instead of that have a proper created version of this inside the editor.

It appears there is no way to set, via scripting, to where the 3den camera points to(??) so I suggest either add a set3DENCameraTarget/Dir (would accept both dir or entity) or modify the move3DENCamera command to use a additional direction/target argument.

And why not modify the move command to allow us define the move offset directly in the command arguments instead of just using a 'hard coded one'?

I don't think there should be an up/down button while navigating. Where I point my mouse+W is where I should go.