xendance

How to place A3 objects on map

Almost every guide is over two years old now and include things like copying stuff from A to B by hand and running 3rd party scripts. I'd like to know how to place A3 objects on my map (trees and such) in terrain builder using only BIS tools.

I tried doing a map over a year ago but dropped the project after I managed to package the terrain and satmap into game ready format.

So if anyone has any links to up-to-date tutorials or other tips, I'd appreciate it.

if you have a map already in game but no objects, use map builder whilst in game.

Or you can load the libraries of objects from the p:\a3\structures etc. then place then in your terrain using buldozer. It really isn't that hard to do.

if you have a map already in game but no objects, use map builder whilst in game.

Or you can load the libraries of objects from the p:\a3\structures etc. then place then in your terrain using buldozer. It really isn't that hard to do.

By P:\A3\structures you mean the A3_retail shortcut that leads to the arma 3 installation directory? There isn't "structures" folder there. 

Maybe this isn't hard for you, but it's hard for me. That's why I asked help in the first place ;)

I understnad it might be easy for you. But as you already have a map made, you must have created a p:drive (virtual drive) that has all your work files in. All the files from your retail game are extracted and placed in p:\a3. This is your root folder for all things you need to place on your map. then the rest of the folders are within that. Structures, weapons, vehicles blah blah blah. If you haven't got a p drive set up then you won't be able to access it.

Like I said as a first suggestion, if you already have a map made and are ready for the object placement, then use map builder. But you would still need to have a p drive setup as you need to export those objects into terrain builder to place then effectively on your island. Im not sure on this but I thnk you might be able to have then place using sqf. Your best bet would be, ask a few questions on the object placement for map builder in the map builder thread! I've only used it to export them into terrain builder as I have a p drive already setup.

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/177323-map-builder-ingame-3d-editor-for-terrain-creation/

I understnad it might be easy for you. But as you already have a map made, you must have created a p:drive (virtual drive) that has all your work files in. All the files from your retail game are extracted and placed in p:\a3. This is your root folder for all things you need to place on your map. then the rest of the folders are within that. Structures, weapons, vehicles blah blah blah. If you haven't got a p drive set up then you won't be able to access it.

Like I said as a first suggestion, if you already have a map made and are ready for the object placement, then use map builder. But you would still need to have a p drive setup as you need to export those objects into terrain builder to place then effectively on your island. Im not sure on this but I thnk you might be able to have then place using sqf. Your best bet would be, ask a few questions on the object placement for map builder in the map builder thread! I've only used it to export them into terrain builder as I have a p drive already setup.

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/177323-map-builder-ingame-3d-editor-for-terrain-creation/

I have the P: drive set up via the arma 3 tools thingy in steam and this is how it sets the P: drive up: http://i.imgur.com/vE8MOxi.png 

I can't load the stuff in A3_retail folder at all since they're all binarized (naturally considering it's my A3 game folder).

Is the tool missing some sort of step when setting up P: drive?

You need to run ArmaA3p  Grab it here https://dev-heaven.net/projects/mikero-pbodll/files

That will then unpack all your A3 Objects then just add them to your project you will see then in A3 folder on your p:\  it will take a lot of space   :)

Do I really need third party tools to use official A3 tools?

Edit: Also, how does the engine even know what assets to reference if I first de-pbo some files, add them to my map, pack the map and then load the map in A3?

Do I really need third party tools to use official A3 tools?

Without Mikeros tools you stand very little chance of making a terrain, the free version only does so much so i'd advise getting the subscription.

Look at past terrain releases, they all give a shout out to Mikero and for a good reason.

Without Mikeros tools you stand very little chance of making a terrain, the free version only does so much so i'd advise getting the subscription.

Look at past terrain releases, they all give a shout out to Mikero and for a good reason.

I guess I'll just wait until the expansion is released and see if anything changes. I was just checking if the first-time user experience has improved at all.

Thanks.

As above without those tools you stand little to no chance even to pack up your terrain i would strongly advise using his PBOproject and not the BIS tools.

I very very much doubt they will add anything to the Expansion for terrain Building !

• Like 1