gfresco

African Revolution [SP/CO-OP]

Note: I'm still in the process of enhancing and improving this mission. I consider myself a noobie scripter/mission maker but I like to share my stuff in case someone with similar tastes might enjoy it. Feedback & criticism is welcome, but if you're just going to declare this not to be best Arma3 mission in the world, don't bother - I'm well aware.

That said me & a few friends have very much enjoyed playing this map.

African Revolt  ---- By Gfresco

3.png

Required Add-ons:
* CBA3

* Isla Duala [it comes with its own requirements. I believe them to Arma 3 Map Pack and/or All In Arma & Isla Panthera - I personally use PlayWithSix to manage my dependencies]

* ACE3

* African Conflict by Massi [Requires 1-2 of Massi's weapons/equipment mods as a dependency]

* RHS Russian Armed Forces

* RHS United States Armed Forces

--Reccomend that one use some form of AI mod for best experience. The mission was made/tested with ASR AI and FFIS.--

[Hopefully I didn't miss any essential dependencies. There is a slight possibility there are dependencies listed in the mission.sqm that aren't listed here that originate from me play-testing another mod on this map. Hopefully this isn't the case but in the off chance I may need to review the actual used mods and delete any unused dependencies manually]

arma3_2015-09-21_16-22-58-153.png

Introduction:

This map is an attempt of mine to try and create an open/sandboxy feel of a country in the midst of a civil conflict with the player as a rebel insurgent. I wanted to create a mission that provided an expansive experience as an insurgent and not a high-tech/well equipped modern soldier.
My main real life inspiration for this conflict is the civil war of South Sudan. In this mission GREENFOR/INDEPENDENT aligned Government troops control the majority of the map and have a presence in most towns/cities. The south-east region of the map is the occupied by OPFOR aligned rebels who are typically under pressure/assault from governmental forces.

The map by default is set up for 2 player co-op or singleplayer, with the first slot being the one that will receive the tasks (other players can help complete them of course, but wont be the ones triggering/getting assigned tasks). However if one desires a larger co-op experience it should be trivial to add more player slots in via the editor.

There is no singular objective or victory condition in this mission. Rather the intention is to provide a framework/platform/space in which organic-immersive gameplay can be continued indefinetly. While territory can be captured from Government forces by eliminating their town-presences and clearing out their patrols, a small portion of Government forces are set to respawn indefinetly from their two main airfields (marked on the map) and attempt to re-capture/re-control any lost areas. This can be disabled via the initilization of said units in the editor if not desired (if one wants to be able to do a complete capture of the island). My personal preference is to not give the mission an end-state but rather a pepetual civil war - however I wanted this to be easily changed.

I have done my best in the init.sqf file & others to document what the scripts do so that this mission can be edited by its users to their preferences with ease.

4.png

Features:

* Occupied towns with patrols in them, including units inside of buildings. Using the Enemy Occupation System by BangaBob.

* Ambient Civilians in and around towns. Set by default to be small in number and NO vehicles. Can be edited in the mission files. Using Civilian Occupation System by BangaBob

* Co-ordinated A.I Squads. Using the GAIA system (By Spirit6) AI Squads share information, co-ordinate and support in attacks and have generally realistic behavior.

* A.I Cacheing Using the GAIA system (by Spirit6) AI groups are cached (at distances editable in the init.sqf) which allows for the entire map to be utilized without creating performance problems. There should be few-to-no areas that don't have some activity.

* A.I Artillery Spotters unlike in vanilla Arma, the AI in this mission can "spot" for artillery and call in strikes where they believe/have spotted enemies. This is using "Fire for Effect" by Rydygier.

* Optional Tasks Systems the lead player will be assigned at random 2 types of tasks they may choose to pursue and complete. The 1st type of task are simple spec-ops oriented type missions such as scouting objects of interest, finding and destroying ammo caches, taking out high-value targets such as armored vehicles or officers. The 2nd type of task is more rank-and-file participate in the war effort type tasks. Typically they involve participating in offensive and defensive actions alongside allied A.I.

A task will be assigned at random and upon completion another one will be randomly assigned until all are complete. These have all been scripted out by myself (Gfresco). NOTE: Grid co-ordinates are given in Longitude then Latitude (Vertical numbers, then horizontal ones). I'm Canadian, sorry.

1.png

* Recruitable A.I using Bons recruitment script allows the player to form their own small A.I squad and participate in the conflict as a more substantial force.

* Respawn system for a portion of the maps AI to keep a level of perpetual conflict on the map. Can be disabled in the editor by changing units init line.  This is done via the GAIA system as well.

* VAS System because in this day and age rummaging through 50 crates at the start of every mission gets old.

* Movable Spawn Point: Its likely that if you play this mission for long enough, you will die. While some players/groups don't mind restarting "back at base" some groups want a more gameplay-oriented experience. My solution has been to script a simple action function that updates the spawn (for the entire side) to wherever the player is when he activates that action. So, for example, if you are going to assault the town of Larenga you can update your spawn point to just outside of the town, should you or your teammates die. This is also easily disabled via the playable units initilization lines in game.

7.png

Thanks to Moulander/Max for constant play testing, good suggestions, bad suggestions, good team work, bad team work and general inspiration.
Thanks to the creators of the add-ons used for providing, for free, great enhancement to the Arma series/Arma 3. I personally much prefer to play in a modern/realistic setting to a futuristic one, which wouldn't be possible without all the awesome free content they provide.

DOWNLOAD:

Armaholic:

African Revolution Co-02 (@)

Upload.ee:

http://www.upload.ee/files/5222967/Africa.rar.html[VERSION 1.01 with bugfixes]

1.01 update details:

-Fixed addon requirements

-Added more military objectives

-General bugfixing.

Future goals:

- More military support missions added occurring through out the map.

- A better mission/task assigning script (currently having tasks assigned at random is less ideal.)

-Mogadishu map spin off (With playing as a counter insurgent option)

• Like 6

I love the setting! Indeed as you suspected, additional add ons are required, namely ACRE2 and Leight's Opfor Pack. Only problem I've encountered so far was that missions were queuing up quickly rapidly before finishing others, but I'll need to play more to confirm that. One suggestion would be to replace the rebel's CSAT vests with the much more appropriate Leight's insurgent's ak vests (but that's mostly due to my great aversion for vanilla content). Keep up the good work!

Also, have you thought about uploading the mission to Steam so it's easier to update?

Hey, i couldn't start the mission. It apparently requires ACRE mod.

Ugh. I knew I messed it up. You can delete the module & requirement from the mission.sqm but I will manually remove it myself in the next update along with bugfixes & more mission objectives.

I love the setting! Indeed as you suspected, additional add ons are required, namely ACRE2 and Leight's Opfor Pack. Only problem I've encountered so far was that missions were queuing up quickly rapidly before finishing others, but I'll need to play more to confirm that. One suggestion would be to replace the rebel's CSAT vests with the much more appropriate Leight's insurgent's ak vests (but that's mostly due to my great aversion for vanilla content). Keep up the good work!

Ahh Leights shouldn't be in there anymore. I had experimented with some of their units/vehicles before deciding it was unneeded. I will fix this requirement and ensure none of their assets are in-game/required. I agree with you about the vests, but would rather not make Leights a requirement given its size and the existing requirements.

As for missions queing up before you've completed them, that does happen with the military objective ones - because basically all that's required for completion is to be there and have the action start. I figured tying the completion (and therefor assignment of new missions) of the mission to any particular outcome would potentially cause problems if things went another way. Hopefully this doesn't cause any issues another then a slight bit of task spam.

In general I would rather get to the point where missions are selected individually and as such aren't auto-assigned on completion of the last, but it'll require a new task assigning script. If anyone reading this knows of a good script that can take multiple tasks (scripted in individual .sqf files) and allow the player to select which one to activate that'd be amazing.

Also, have you thought about uploading the mission to Steam so it's easier to update?

I probably will once its given another update or two.

Thank you all very much for the feedback. I expect to have an update this weekend, I just want to add in some new content as well.

Hy 

This is the kind of mission i try to make for severals month without  succeed.  use gaia is vers cool . I have one question. Does gaia fonction Still work after we recall a save game ?

Thank u for give us the mission folder it s verry useful for me to learn how your mission is building. 

Thank u :)

Hy 

This is the kind of mission i try to make for severals month without  succeed.  use gaia is vers cool . I have one question. Does gaia fonction Still work after we recall a save game ?

Thank u for give us the mission folder it s verry useful for me to learn how your mission is building. 

Thank u :)

I believe it does but most of my longer then 2hr play sessions have been done online. Glad you enjoyed/find it useful

Ugh. I knew I messed it up. You can delete the module & requirement from the mission.sqm but I will manually remove it myself in the next update along with bugfixes & more mission objectives.

Looks like it's not a solution, as even deleting all the acre and leight opfor strings the mission still say it needs them. I'm pretty sure I deleted everything not needed in the mission.sqm...but I could be wrong, naturally.

I hope you can fix this soon, as this is quite a boring problem if you wish to play it on a server with comrades^^

Okay here it is, updated:

Link (Link in op updated, armaholic one will need to updated too in a few):

http://www.upload.ee/files/5222967/Africa.rar.html

CHANGES:

- All mod dependencies should be FIXED. Tested it myself without Leights, RDS, or Acre enabled.

- Added 2 new military tasks.

-Generally bugfixing/editing any minor issues I noticed (IE supports working better, etc)

Please let me know if anything is still not resolved, or if you have any future criticisms/suggestions. Feedback helps me improve.

Hello. I am very interested in your mission, gfresco. I like the concept. It reminds me of SecOps or Far Cry 2. However, my clan has a well defined mod set up which doesn't include African conflict et. al. nor ACE 3. I've gone through the mission.sqm and replaced all mas units with LOP, ACE with vanilla, etc, and removed dependencies, but now the mission will not load in the editor. I have a bit of experience and am well capable of eventually going through your mission to make it playable for my clan, but I thought it would be a great service to me and everyone else if you could release a version using as much vanilla stuff as possible so small coop groups like myself can have their "guy" fix it to their mod setup. At the very least, could you save me some time and let me know which files should have mas_afr or ACE classes? If so I can send you a Leights version of the mission you can release as well.

Thanks.

Hello. I am very interested in your mission, gfresco. I like the concept. It reminds me of SecOps or Far Cry 2. However, my clan has a well defined mod set up which doesn't include African conflict et. al. nor ACE 3. I've gone through the mission.sqm and replaced all mas units with LOP, ACE with vanilla, etc, and removed dependencies, but now the mission will not load in the editor. I have a bit of experience and am well capable of eventually going through your mission to make it playable for my clan, but I thought it would be a great service to me and everyone else if you could release a version using as much vanilla stuff as possible so small coop groups like myself can have their "guy" fix it to their mod setup. At the very least, could you save me some time and let me know which files should have mas_afr or ACE classes? If so I can send you a Leights version of the mission you can release as well.

Thanks.

I'll give it a shot sure, there are a few bugs with the mission scripts I'm ironing out so I don't mind giving that a try as long as I'm in the editor.

• Like 1

Afrenian & Molatians vowed to fight these terrorists that are trying to occupy their sacred land! <g>

• Like 1

Cannot play it.  It is looking for ace_spectator, even though I have the most uptodate ACE3.

If played as SP it gives the error "No player was selected".

Not a big problem as you can still play it as coop, but I would love to play it also SP and be able to save mission status.