Tyl3r99

random stuttering all of a sudden?

Hi guys, 

my first ever performance related post!  :o

basically ive never had an issue with performance but all of a sudden my game has started to stutter a lot randomly. 

first I checked to see if the pc was doing anything in the background... no it wasn't. then i checked my gpu drivers and they are all up to date. 

my settings have been the same since early alpha...

it averages over 60fps and then drops to low 20's then raises back up. (using steams FPS counter)

im running the old launch parameters such as maxmem, cpucount, nologs etc etc 

I believe my system spec is in my sig but if not its... 

I7 3970x

GTX690 

2TB HDD

250gb SSD (arma is installed on this) 

windows 10. 

im thinking it could be a windows 10 issue... as it never used to do this. 

any ideas peeps? 

oh the mods im running are as follows.

Blastcore visuals

JSRS

the odd map pack or 2 

The first question is always after mentioning only the mods you're running and your specs is... wait for it... now it comes... does it happen unmodded and what mission you're running?

The first question is always after mentioning only the mods you're running and your specs is... wait for it... now it comes... does it happen unmodded and what mission you're running?

i was currently making my own mission on the editor, not many AI had been placed id say 5 groups worth. 

as for running it un modded, it feels a lot better without blastcore. 

even though there where no explosions when it was stuttering. 

just got me confused lol my pc is worth £4,000 it shouldn't bloody lag if it does then its the games fault lol

Hi guys, 

my first ever performance related post!  :o

basically ive never had an issue with performance but all of a sudden my game has started to stutter a lot randomly. 

first I checked to see if the pc was doing anything in the background... no it wasn't. then i checked my gpu drivers and they are all up to date. 

my settings have been the same since early alpha...

it averages over 60fps and then drops to low 20's then raises back up. (using steams FPS counter)

im running the old launch parameters such as maxmem, cpucount, nologs etc etc 

I believe my system spec is in my sig but if not its... 

I7 3970x

GTX690 

2TB HDD

250gb SSD (arma is installed on this) 

windows 10. 

im thinking it could be a windows 10 issue... as it never used to do this. 

any ideas peeps? 

oh the mods im running are as follows.

Blastcore visuals

JSRS

the odd map pack or 2 

I am getting the exact same issue, it is definately something to do with windows 10 and Arma 3. It worked fine on seven for me. I have upgraded to 10 on a clean install, installed latest drivers for my soundcard and graphics card and it's stuttering extremely badly.

My Specs:

I5 3470 @ 3.2Ghz

GTX 560Ti 1Gb @ 1680 x 1050

8Gb Ram

I was able to get a decent average of about 50 - 60 frames on windows 7 with settings on high - very high with vision distance on about 70 - 80

• The game takes forever to open and goes into a state of no response.

• General stuttering not too severe though

• When opening the map, inventory, menu (Any element of the UI) the game practically freezes and takes 30 - 60 seconds to load the map.

This is definately a windows 10 related issue.

ok looks like Nakkers has found a good solution... 

windows 10 has Xbox game DVR which runs in the background.. disable it.

also check which apps are running in the background as i just found on mine theres loads :/ 

I run windows 7 and have the same problem, I get 60 - 90 fps but my game stutters and feels laggy

gfx drivers are up to date

i7 3770

gtx 780ti

ssd 250

8 gig

1440p

I can add to this.

My last PC was new in July 2010 and ran WIN 7. The components were not top of the range but probably second or third best as at July 2010.

Sometimes Arma 2 would stutter for a short time and then go back to normal.

My Current PC was new in Oct 2014 and runs WIN 8.1 The components were not top of the range but probably second or third best as at October 2014

Sometimes Arma 2 stutters for a short time and then goes back to normal.  (Arma 2 was released in June 2009 so this PC should run it easily).

Sometimes Arma 3 stutters for a short time and then goes back to normal.

So, my conclusion is that the stuttering has little  to do with the specs of the PC.  It seems to be something built into the game software.

its odd, its only been happening very recently... hopefully it smooths out in the next patch or so. 

Started happening to me too as well, even with Xbox DVR turned off.  Hope it gets fixed, it's rather annoying.

windows 10 has Xbox game DVR which runs in the background.. disable it.

also check which apps are running in the background as i just found on mine theres loads :/ 

Dear lord. Sticking with Win7 me thinks.

And for you Win 10 users: How to turn off Microsoft's shit

I've had a similar problem with fps drops, but specifically while in first person, and was wondering if anyone else has had something similar.

To start, I have a pretty strong PC rig:

while I can run the game at 50~60fps around most of the time, around 20~30% (mostly during high-intensity close quarters gunfights), the framerate drops dramatically to 15~20fps. I've even lowered many graphics settings severely, which bumps up the low end a bit. Still, however, these drops happen consistently, and ALWAYS/EXCLUSIVELY IN FIRST PERSON MODE. I've done tests, standing still in 1st person doing no movement, and the framerate won't rise above 23fps in these situations. Then, I will toggle to third person mode, and it will jump up to 40~50fps. Even if I start spinning the camera/shaking it, moving sporadically, the fps remains strong in the mid-upper 40s. So, clearly, there is some extra processing being done (on Arma's end??) in first person. FYI, I've already tried lowering/turning off head bob (but like i said, these fps drops happen even while stationary.

I've looked and looked for topics addressing this issue, and while I see there's no end of "ARMA optimization???" kinds of topics/guides, nowhere do I see this specific issue addressed, and am curious what (if any) kinds of fixes there might be.

Also, I'll add that I've run CPU/GPU monitors such as MSI Afterburner while these fps drops are occurring in first person, and neither the GPU nor CPU ever approach their upper limits (GPU hits about "60% usage" and a core clock of 1152; the CPU cores never go above 80%. Also, the temps for the GPU/CPU remain around 50~60C.

Love this game, but frustrating to have these performance issues interrupt the immersion. Especially attempting to play in first person and get a hardcore experience. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!

Also, I ran it without mods, no difference. Here's the kicker, for shits & giggles I ran ARMA at 4k (DSR'd back down to 1080p) and bumped up some settings (not all, but some) to ultra, and in those low framerate places I actually gained several frames o_O. Basically:

before: 1080p native, no AA, Textures High / Terrain Ultra --- everything else disabled or off ==== 15~20fps in intense firefights in first person.

now: 4k DSR'd to 1080p, FXAA ultra, Aniso. Filt. Ultra, Textures Ultra / Terrain Ultra / Cloud Ultra / HDR Standard === 22~25fps in same places.

& for those who might wonder why i am running terrain at ultra, I do lots of long-distance sniping, and any setting lower makes the terrain very unrealistic / low res to where its impossible to judge enemy positions (for example, on any setting lower that ultra, you could see an enemy far off that appears to float/be standing on nothing, but when you go to shoot them the round hits an invisible wall, which in actuality is a hill between you and the enemy that the game doesn't bother rendering because terrain setting < ultra. Also, I would add that even with terrain @ ultra, in those long-distance sniping situations i'm still getting 50~80fps, so the problem is still first person UP CLOSE firefights.)

Added 4 hours 40 minutes later:

Update, I subbed to this ARMA 3 stress test:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=181562302&searchtext=stress+test

Ran it for a good while, hovering between 4~6frames the entire time. The weird thing is, on MSI Afterburner it shows that my graphics card barely made an effort! The following are the MAX parameters these variables hit, and they are anything but the max ability of the card:

GPU Power %: 43%
GPU temperature: 45C
GPU usage %: 32%
Core Clock, MHz: 1152 (mine is OC to 1491)
Memory clock, MHz: 3856 (OC value, card is normally 3505)
Memory usage, MB: 2813 (the VRAM, GTX 980 has 4gigs, so its not utilizing an entire gig!)

Additionally, all of my CPUs (running Intel i7-4790k) maxed at 80% or less, so they aren't bottlenecking. And i have 8gigs of DDR3 Ram (2x4) 1600mem, and that value maxed at 4566.

So unless i'm missing something, i am just very confused why the frame rate would drop to 4~6fps during this stress test if neither my GPU/CPU/RAM were taxed to their maximum ability, or bottlenecked.