wingnutt270

Help me understand something..

I've been familiar with the series since operation flashpoint came out, and have played on and off ever since. 

So I bought Arma 3 off of steam. 

Open the editor, decide to scatter a few weapons around on the ground so I can tinker. 

Go to use one of said weapons.. and get a window saying I have to purchase a DLC to use this weapon..

So let me get this straight,  items will show up in the editor, but to actually use them, I need to spend more money?

Is there no way I can turn OFF this "feature" so that the editor will only show items I actually have access to?

That is completely wrong,

The guns that are purchasable are from the Karts and Marksman DLC. (You don't buy them individualy, The DLC's include a wide range of features)

You may notice the Huron and Taru helicopters will do the exact same thing, so you need to buy Helicopters DLC in order to unlock its 2 helicopters and other static props.

But other than that, Vanilla Arma 3 already has a wide range of guns anyway. (I suggest you go from "Main Menu/Learn/Virtual Arsenal" so you can easily tell which item is a DLC.

Hope it helps,

Ranwer135

It's actually quite a nice feature.

Let's say you join me in MP and I have the Marksman DLC. Instead of you getting kicked for not having the same content as I you can still join and play and I can still use the stuff I payed for. The good thing is that all the features that came with the DLC is included for free in your vanilla game so you can adjust scopes and support your weapon with bipods.

So yes you can't use the weapons I bought in the DLC, but you can still play together with me.

BI made it this way so they could earn some money while supporting/improving arma3 without dividing the MP community in "who owns what DLC". In arma2 it was the same, but there the DLC units where with lo-res textures but fully playable. Then people complained about buggy units as they didn't understand why some were of lesser quality.

As you only pay for the few vanilla weapons/units and get all the features for free I like to look at the DLC's as a donation for BI's continuous work on improving this series. I have no problem what so ever to purchase the DLC's as the value I have got from BI in this series for the last 15 years is so much more.

• Like 1

Instead of defending the DLC model 'cause there's no one here even criticizing it, I'm just gonna answer the OP's question:

No, you can't disable this feature. (Except with a mod maybe). But you can recognize the premium content from the little DLC icon in the editor's object placing window.

• Like 3

That is completely wrong

There is nothing wrong with what he said.

He said he was able to spawn the DLC weapons eventhough he doesn't own any of the DLC, and thus asked if there was anyway of disabling this so that he doesn't even get the option to spawn them.

Like greenfist said, No there isn't anyway to do this. But they do have a little icon to the right of them which indicates they're DLC weapons(same with vehicles) which let you know that you need to own the DLC to play them. you can however test them in the virtual arsenal, from the main menu go to Learn and then Virtual Arsenal.

And unless you don't intend on using any mod weapons or are such a die hard that you'll want to buy the DLC for the sake of supporting BI, you really aren't missing anything. All the features that came with these DLC were paid for you by those that bought the DLC   are free and everyone has access to them(i.e. bi-pod/weapon resting, sling loading advanced helicopter mechanics etc.)

Well thank you all for the help,  Ill take a closer look at the editor when I get home,  but yea as long as I can disseminate between what I can and can  not actually use while using the editor, I should be fine. 

Another quick question,  what are some of the "must have" mods out there?  I got the ragdoll one already, but frankly there are SO MANY optionsI'm a bit overwhelmed.  

99% if my play involves mission a build myself and me and a few buddies play.

Thanks again.

I don't get it, we don't need to buy the DLC but if we don't buy it our screen is flooded with ads even though we paid for the vanilla version we're playing. Don't get me wrong I love that they didn't split the community but i got all the DLC simply to get that **** off my screen, I like supporting BI but that wasn't cool to see a watermark on the game I own because I picked up some DLC item. The little ad in the corner was fine just that watermark...uhhh :/

I like the old model much better where if you paid you got the full feature & textures, if you didn't pay you didn't get spammed.

I get the business side of it just not why it has to hinder the actual gameplay in vanilla.

I don't get it, we don't need to buy the DLC but if we don't buy it our screen is flooded with ads even though we paid for the vanilla version we're playing. Don't get me wrong I love that they didn't split the community but i got all the DLC simply to get that **** off my screen, I like supporting BI but that wasn't cool to see a watermark on the game I own because I picked up some DLC item. The little ad in the corner was fine just that watermark...uhhh :/

I like the old model much better where if you paid you got the full feature & textures, if you didn't pay you didn't get spammed.

I get the business side of it just not why it has to hinder the actual gameplay in vanilla.

This was what I was kinda thinking last night,  I paid for the game, and I'm basically getting ads as though it were a demo or something,  seems a bit low brow to flood a purchased game with adds.

I get that its a good way to make a player aware that there is additional content available, but making to where you cant turn the ads off is a bit much. 

How would you like it if you bought a new car, that has On-Star..  and you don't want to use On-Star..  but since you didn't buy that add-on every time you start your car an On-Star commercial plays over your speakers...   Yea I wouldn't like it either. 

Like most things in life, Arma 3 DLCs aren't free. (Except Zeus of course, but for some reason you don't see anyone complaining about it being free.) But what makes Bohemia the good guys is that you can actually play with their stuff without paying a cent! That's kinda cool, right? Not many developers let you do that.

It's like buying a car; they let you test drive it so you can decide if you want to pay for it.

And if don't like how someone is constantly trying to sell you a car, you just stop going to the damn car store! Simple as that!

I know this DLC strategy is very uncommon, but in my opinion, it's the most fair one I've seen.

• Like 1

You'd complain if the community were split, where you can't join DLC servers, I think BI did the right thing, if you don't like the watermark then drop the DLC object, problem solved :)

• Like 1

You'd complain if the community were split, where you can't join DLC servers, I think BI did the right thing, if you don't like the watermark then drop the DLC object, problem solved :)

Drop?  I cant even pick them up,  I just get the popup, click OK and they stay where they lay..

No biggie, moved on to better things.

But as long as you don't interact with them it's alright no?

• Like 1

But as long as you don't interact with them it's alright no?

Good question, i would like to know too (can't check cause i've got them all).

Good question, i would like to know too (can't check cause i've got them all).

As far as I know, you see the pop-ups only when using a DLC object.

But if they're used anywhere in the mission at all, and even if you don't interact with them, then the ending screen (?) displays a different, bigger ad.

A related thread: https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/175051-dlc-ads/