SpaceNavy

A plea from someone with lazy, stubborn friends

You might have lazy stubborn friends, but I'm a lazy stubborn modder. I might get around to putting my mod on Steam, but why do something today that I can do tomorrow?

• Like 1

To settle this whole thread, I say the first post (which is the author) is the one to blame for this crap Red Tape. All I see is one big kangaroo court going ballistic about a decision the Devs made. I say, that the author of this thread should apologize and to be asked for this thread to be taken down.

This thread was obviously made to work all of us up for something that has been going since the Devs decision. (Even look at the title of this thread, it looks so obvious It was made for that purpose)

And lastly, the author did not read the rules about this type of behaviour, so he is the one to blame for all this mess.

*PMing Moderator*

A lot of you talk to me as if I have no idea what modding is... I've already put my fair share of hours into my former mod. 

And you know what? It was on all the mod sharing platforms: Armaholic, PW6 and even Steam. Why? Because I want people to play my creation. Not to act like an entitled and mighter-than-you child saying "if you can't do this you don't deserve it". Also to clarify, I wanted to share some of these smaller mods with my friends. Friends who know how to install the mods too. But why go through the process if they don't even know if they want to use it? Especially if there are multiple mods. It makes it easier for everyone if you can just click a single button and not have to worry about anything else. I understand that some mods may be too complicated for this or the author may not agree with the Steam Workshop EULA. HELL I don't even care if you are certain developers with your own website who want to generate ad revenue from hits on your site! That is all completely fine and your decision, literally no one is forcing you to. I simply asked for people to take Steam Workshop into more consideration when trying to increase visibility for your mod (which I assumed modding was about, getting more people to play your hard worked creation instead of the few people you deem worthy to) for its ease of use..

Foxhound, I was honestly appalled by your extremely childish response to my criticism in the OP. I really thought you were above that. I guess not. Good luck to you and I hope you fix your server issues.

I've been away for many moons now, but it's always nice that I can pop my head in here and see the same old faces (and some new) arguing that people should do things their way. ArmAholic was around long before most of you knew that ArmA existed, and it will be around long after you dawdle back to whatever community you view as better. There are valid reasons why some people don't use PWS, and there are even more valid reasons why people don't use Steam Workshop. Just because you used it doesn't mean anyone else has to. Why should addonmakers give a flying fuck about how lazy your friends are? If they can't figure out how to create two folders and drag some PBOs, or drag a single folder into the arma install location, why the hell are they playing ArmA? How the hell do they work a computer? Why the hell are you associating yourself with such people? Shame!

A wise man once said...
Begone+dyel+scum+your+broscience+nonsens

I don't even care if you are certain developers with your own website who want to generate ad revenue from hits on your site!

Again the same twisted way of think.

Launching attacks because this "people" dont have they want.

To me is very clear that this post isn't a "plea" is only a way to put our work where they want.

Wow, reading this thread almost makes me ashamed of being a part of this community... The downright rude responses of otherwise mature community members to valid points are mind-boggling for me.

The OP has a very simple plea, and doesn't force anything to anyone. He just wants to raise some awareness to a problem I can fully imagine. 

And of course a lot of valid points are raised here, and i'm pretty sure most of you agree with those:

• Mod authors decide what they do with their content. No one can force them.
  • Players are free to suggest other distributions to authors
  • The old-fashioned way of downloading zip's and copying them is something from the past decade. Really, it's not about lazyness, it's about embracing technology that does stupid tasks for you. 
  • Not everyone can invest time in managing (many) mods manually, and a one-click system like PWS still enables them to enjoy the mods.
  • There are many disribution systems for you to choose from, but none are perfect: Armaholic (Manual copying, no auto-update), PWS (huge potential, but buggy/slow), Arma3Sync (Custom repository needed), SWS (Steam,  it's EULA, and the (seemingly) underage userbase are not really attractive to authors)
  • Armaholic is a great site, and could/should happily coexist to other systems. It's the only fail-safe resource that has about anything Arma related hosted.
  • The lack of a perfect distribution system makes the community and mods scattered over them. Read trough this thread for proof. We have to live with it for now.

Unless BIS invests heavily in a better (read: perfect one-click solution), we have to live with different distribution systems. If your favorite mod that you want to play with friends is not on your favorite distribution system you have these options:

• Switch to another distribution system.
  • Ask the author to put it on your favorite distribution system. Accept no as an answer.
  • Don't use that particular mod.

So with that settled, can we please treat each other in a civilized way, no matter how strongly you disagree? 

• Like 8

And with that - i will now close this thread.

• Like 1