SpaceNavy

A plea from someone with lazy, stubborn friends

People, please upload your mods to the Steam Workshop. Basically all limitations have been lifted now so there is very little reason for you not to.

It is so much easier to convince your friends to test a mod out if all they have to do is click a button to install it rather than go through Armaholic's hit-and-miss servers and the initially difficult Arma mod installation process.

I couldn't care less about people being lazzy, i'll still use Armaholic as much as i can. Community websites must be supported.

• Like 14

I couldn't care less about people being lazzy, i'll still use Armaholic as much as i can. Community websites must be supported.

+1

I personally dislike the Steam Workshop system, and distrust Valve.

It is so much easier to convince your friends to test a mod out if all they have to do is click a button to install it rather than go through Armaholic's hit-and-miss servers and the initially difficult Arma mod installation process.

I'm sorry, but do you really consider dragging a folder from a .zip to the Arma 3 folder "a difficult process"?

In any case, if anyone is interested enough in certain mods, they will download them from wherever they are. 

• Like 6

Sorry, can you repeat that? Database connection failed.

+1

I'm sorry, but do you really consider dragging a folder from a .zip to the Arma 3 folder "a difficult process"?

In any case, if anyone is interested enough in certain mods, they will download them from wherever they are. 

Never said anything about it being difficult for ME to install.

Why do you think that laziness and stubbornness of your friends is somehow a community's problem?

Yeah, same. It's only a matter of time when Valve will try to make fortune off enthusiasts work again. After all, they are private company that does things solely for money, not because they like certain game or its community.

God damn this community has some issues.. i really hope ppl start to share mods in workshop. PWS = buggy shit, Armaholic folder thinkie = try to advice ten of your casually playing friends to do it IS A MAJOR PAIN in the...  And after 1h of advicing you just want to give up and go play something else. Valve is a great company.. Bohemia too but they should integrate some sound mods and ACE in to Arma 3 :)

Valve is a great company.. Bohemia too but they should integrate some sound mods and ACE in to Arma 3 :)

That's actually a very funny joke. Both parts.

• Like 1

If they can't be bothered to go to a site, download and unpack...

why the hell should the mod maker, who often spends several hundred hours on a quality mod, care about that?

Also, if they are that kind of people, they wouldn't read any readme or manual either. Then they come back and ask questions that have been answered millions of times already, or worse, complain that something broke.

I see it as a "minimum barrier to entry".  If they can't be arsed enough to figure out how to copy/paste some folders in the proper structure or use PWS (yes it's buggy.. but it works) then the likelihood of them contributing anything to this community is little to none.  Arma is not a "double-click and play" type of game anyway.. there are plenty of those on the market already.

edit: ninja x3kj stole my thunder  :P

As mod makers we make what we want, upload and share to the public at no charge. Dont like the way authors do things? Dont use their content. Period.

I do upload most of my content to the workshop, but it really isn't convenient for a mod author. The workshop improved over the last months but it still doesn't offer the freedom Armaholic or Dropbox have. And it's limiting modding itself, regarding userconfig folders for example. Even from a user's perspective, I tend to avoid the shop and rather look for content on Armaholic or the forums.

And a more personal point: I think every mod author receives idiotic comments or messages from time to time from users who just seem to be incredibly stupid or just failed to look at the readme, description, or previous comments. These comments are by far not the majority of the responses, but the amount of questions / issues which have been answered / resolved a bazillion times is significantly higher on the workshop compared to the forums. Not to mention the form or attitude of some comments. Please, thank you, and complete sentences may also be used by non-natives.

My all-time number one of idiotic comments was a user on the workshop, who complained that my campaign (packed as a mod) was showing up under the mod tag and he was of the strong opinion that playable content must not be listed under mods. He even enganged in a full-blown discussion about how my content was keeping him from finding real mods. :annoy:

• Like 7

People, please upload your mods to the Steam Workshop. Basically all limitations have been lifted now so there is very little reason for you not to.

Why come to my website if you hate my effort so much and have not the slightest intention of supporting my work.

Just do me a favor and stay off Armaholic and do not use my resources! That way those who do appreciate my work get the resource they deserve and do not have to share those with ungratefull little bratts like you.

I think I will support you a bit leaving my site.........

Sorry, can you repeat that? Database connection failed.

F5 usually has helped me or use the second mirror.

Why come to my website if you hate my effort so much and have not the slightest intention of supporting my work.

Just do me a favor and stay off Armaholic and do not use my resources! That way those who do appreciate my work get the resource they deserve and do not have to share those with ungratefull little bratts like you.

I think I will support you a bit leaving my site.........

What a nice and level-headed response to criticism.

Besides, I missed the part where he says he uses Armaholic. I even tried looking into his only mod thread and I found no Armaholic link.

• Like 1

I don't know if a game like Arma is the right type of game for people who aren't able to simply copy a folder?

I got almost every single addon or mod for A2 and A3 from Armaholic and I will use it until it collapses, no matter what.

It just feels right to be on that page and to support it, because it's a project made with heart.

Actually BI should think about paying for the server or something. :P

:cheers:

The elitism... 

Meh... I've come to like the workshop (as an end-user) for arma, simply b/c I can download at 100mbps, and (so far) it seems to integrate nicely with the launcher. Instead of pws, for example (which, I've used for several years, and appreciate as it filled a need until more recently) which is more like 100-300kbps... Downloading All in Arma over multiple attempts was a trial of patience.

Modders can do what they want with their work, fine by me. But, some of the "praise me" attitude turns me off from even bothering with some sites and some modders. It's supposed to be a community of sharing and collaboration. I run several large websites and online communities for a living. They are all 100% free to the end-user. If I acted like foxhound just did, every time someone has a problem or doesn't like something about the community, we would die a quick death. It's a two way street.

If someone makes something and offers it up to the community, that is great... but, I don't have to like it, love it, download it, or use it by default. And, since they put it out into the public, it is open to suggestions and criticisms. There is a difference between appreciating the time and effort someone put into creating something for a community, and not feeling a need to suck their dick just to massage the child-like need for approval that some of them exude. It's really no better behavior than the overly-demanding way in which some end-users behave towards modders.

The guy made a simple request for more modders to put their work on steam workshop as a matter of convenience for him and his mates (the end-user). Don't want to? Fine. Do want to? Fine. I've recently been moving as many of the mods I use that are available (particularly larger mods like terrains) to steam workshop. I requested a few modders to put their work on the workshop. Some said they will, others said they might, others said they don't want to... Fine by me. I don't feel a need to tell them they have to put their shit on the workshop. I don't understand why some of you feel a need to harp on someone who would prefer to use the workshop over other, currently available, resources. 

What's the harm in making a simple request? Other than the mob of 12 year olds who get spiteful and hateful every time someone doesn't agree with, or praise them.

• Like 3

to upload a mod on steam, you need to agree with its EULA. I don't want to start another discussion about this EULA here, but there are mod makers who don't agree with that particular EULA. That said, for mod that involve more than a single person working on them, if a single user doesn't agree with it (as in all user agree with that particular EULA) there is only one option - no uploads. There are quite a few who can't get over the fact that Steam is NOT just another hosting solution or alternative to the existing ones.

That being said, everything that is made public is there for a reason - for the user to enjoy it. No one actually asks for the user to suck on the modder's cock as you've put it. But being available to someone doesn't mean that particular someone can dictate the terms of this availability. In the end, it's all about common sense (which this thread lacks quite a bit). For all mods out in the wild, there are alternatives to alternatives - and that means from the mod itself to the means of hosting / download availability.

There are mods makers that don't care if someone else uploads content on steam, and there are others (myself and RHS included) that search Steam mod repository daily and use the tools at disposal (DMCA take down) to remove any upload made. This not done in spite of the user community, but because i consider (i can use WE when i refer to RHS) that our IP rights are more important than someone's laziness, especially with the available alternatives. I would say that is fair, isn't it?

I do understand that from the average user perspective, it is just easier to click and play. Hell, i would go even further and say that it would be ideal to have local addon synk with the addons used and required by the server, and full auto-download of the modset.

But on the same note, most of the addon makers are doing all this free work out of their own enjoyment, and not because they feel they need to please an audience. So while i understand where you are coming from, please do understand the limitation and overheads of the Steam itself from an addon maker perspective. It is never black and white as you make it look/sound.

• Like 4

What a nice and level-headed response to criticism.

Besides, I missed the part where he says he uses Armaholic. I even tried looking into his only mod thread and I found no Armaholic link.

Criticism or stupidity, thats where we seem to differ with regards to his post.

Besides, I am only responding to him cause he does indeed use Armaholic as he posted on our forums too. Sadly however he never used his reading skills(??), otherwise he might have bothered to read the first post in the thread he posted in and saved himself some wonder wonderings... but nah...lets post crap elsewhere cause its crap we post.

The amount of people in this thread that think the current way of mod download/installation is an alright method... maybe for the late 90's/early 2000's.

I'm not saying steam workshop is the solution as I know people have any issue with the licensing rules and such, but to blantantly make shit posts such as "If people can't download a file and extract it" is bullshit. The current method of installing mods is a huge deterrent to a lot of people and basically ensures mission designers cannot implement any required addons unless they already have a popular server with a very large following.

So get off your high horses and see it from the perspective of new people/less experienced people to the series.

• Like 6

I really like Steam and its workshop... one stop shop and simple as fk!

The amount of people in this thread that think the current way of mod download/installation is an alright method... maybe for the late 90's/early 2000's.

I'm not saying steam workshop is the solution as I know people have any issue with the licensing rules and such, but to blantantly make shit posts such as "If people can't download a file and extract it" is bullshit. The current method of installing mods is a huge deterrent to a lot of people and basically ensures mission designers cannot implement any required addons unless they already have a popular server with a very large following.

So get off your high horses and see it from the perspective of new people/less experienced people to the series.

100% this. Trying to get even 6-7 otherwise smart and capable people to keep up on manually installing and updating a big list of mods every week is a total impossibility. Most people just won't put up with that amount of work during their (often) precious little time to unwind and play games. When you don't have a lot of time to play games or relax, you become much less willing to put up with barriers in between you and the game.

Obviously if you're a mod creator or the one trying to get all your friends together you have a much much higher tolerance for this, since it's more often a hobby or 'side project' as much as it about gaming.

I would love a better way of handling this and organizing this. Pw6 is a good start, it has a nice mod list one person can publish and others can subscribe to, it's just frustrating sometimes in terms of stability. Seems like every week someone is having a problem trying to login or get mods downloaded or having the program tell them everything is updated when it's not, on top of crashing constantly.

Something similar to PW6 but inside of Arma (no need to exit the game!) and rock solid would be ideal to me.

• Like 2

HUGE +1.

+1

HUGE +1.