gameboi

Where are the script commands located?

Hi. I know where (or how to view) BIS functions. But where are the script commands located. I want to view and dissect them. Commands such as "doWatch".

Thank you so much for you time again! Cheers.

You mean like a "script viewer" like the "function viewer", I don't know if that exists, or at least if it does I've never seen it.

You mean like a "script viewer" like the "function viewer", I don't know if that exists, or at least if it does I've never seen it.

Perhaps yea, The native commands must reside somewhere.

There isn't. But you can use the BI wiki.

I know but thanks. It won't do. I need to analyze something.

The point is, unless myself and Belbo are missing something, that information is in-accessable, you could see about a job opening in BI to get a look into the backend though :P.

In the engine ;)

You can use the debug console and press F2 (I hope I've got that button right) with the cursor on a command to view information about it.

If you wanted script commands (e.g. switchMove, setPos, etc) you should have looked at my tutorial in this section that clearly states "Scripting Introduction for New Scripters"... (it included a link to what you were looking for)

If this is the case, then this thread should have never existed...

If you want to test out simple command results/returns, it could be as simple enough as clicking the debug console in the editor, or accessing it via previewing the editor mission, then pausing the mission.

Also, F2 will only select the group button (Which allows you to create fire teams, etc). The Debug Console can be found at the top bar near the steam icon. (I believe these are the following near the steam icon - Functions, Config Viewer and Debug Console)

In the engine ;)

You can use the debug console and press F2 (I hope I've got that button right) with the cursor on a command to view information about it.

Mark the command and press F1

• Like 1

If you wanted script commands (e.g. switchMove, setPos, etc) you should have looked at my tutorial in this section that clearly states "Scripting Introduction for New Scripters"... (it included a link to what you were looking for)

If this is the case, then this thread should have never existed...

If you want to test out simple command results/returns, it could be as simple enough as clicking the debug console in the editor, or accessing it via previewing the editor mission, then pausing the mission.

Also, F2 will only select the group button (Which allows you to create fire teams, etc). The Debug Console can be found at the top bar near the steam icon. (I believe these are the following near the steam icon - Functions, Config Viewer and Debug Console)

Calm down. It's because of a bug I discovered. I reported it but I'd rather have dissected it myself as now I depend on the graces and speed of BI.

SQF is a scripting language, just like JavaScript or PHP. Scripting languages have an interpreter which interprets the script on runtime (as opposed to programming languages, which have a compiler that compiles the program once to a machine readable executable which then can be executed over and over again).

Point is, the scripting commands are handled inside the interpreter, which is closed-source, because it's the Know-How of BI. There is no such thing like a scripting command library except for the BIKI.

A while back, I asked about details of the "publicVariable" command, but as JShock already stated, we - as "outsiders" - are not gonna get a look at that.

Anything that goes deeper than SQF or config.bin is unreachable for us, so you've got no choice but to help BI as good as you can by providing usable information to the Feedback Tracker (which you did) and wait for them to solve the problem.

SQF is a scripting language, just like JavaScript or PHP. Scripting languages have an interpreter which interprets the script on runtime (as opposed to programming languages, which have a compiler that compiles the program once to a machine readable executable which then can be executed over and over again).

Point is, the scripting commands are handled inside the interpreter, which is closed-source, because it's the Know-How of BI. There is no such thing like a scripting command library except for the BIKI.

A while back, I asked about details of the "publicVariable" command, but as JShock already stated, we - as "outsiders" - are not gonna get a look at that.

Anything that goes deeper than SQF or config.bin is unreachable for us, so you've got no choice but to help BI as good as you can by providing usable information to the Feedback Tracker (which you did) and wait for them to solve the problem.

Yeah thanks. It is what it is. Never hurts to ask though. The bug I reported is here: http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=25532. Oddly it has one downvote without comment added. Downvoter at least could have given feedback.

Calm down. It's because of a bug I discovered. I reported it but I'd rather have dissected it myself as now I depend on the graces and speed of BI

Calm down?!? Lol, all I am doing is just answering your question. (Some of my posts may look harsh, but I guess its the BIS fever I'm getting. Which is, well, common if push your mind to the limits of coding :p )

The code that you type in the Debug Console or in the Editor, is interpreted by the engine. But as mentioned by the above users, it is a closed-source.

All I can suggest is learn the commands like all of us do. (If you want an offline source, just download the page as a PDF with a tool or something)

However, I have been working on a proper offline-source using Visual Studio with a library of all scripts and syntaxes. But it won't be further developed until my upcoming mod, DSS, releases in Early Access Alpha.