JaykePC

Requesting 'mission.sqm' guidance.

Hello, I am in the process of porting the map Southern Sahrani on the exile mod. I am using AiA (AllInArmaTerrainPack) mission pbo. Now, the Exile mod is originally on the map Altis. I managed to get it onto most maps in the AiA pack some being Zargabad and Chernarus. When I come to load Southern Sahrani the script does not finish loading, it gets stuck somewhere which is why I suspect I am editing the mission.sqm wrong. If you need any more information provided below, please let me know, thanks.

Chernarus Launch RPT (Successful): http://pastebin.com/922AWhnp
Southern Sahrani RPT (Failed): http://pastebin.com/Adku0qXC

Chernarus mission.sqm: http://pastebin.com/8dbe98yg
Southern Sahrani mission.sqm: http://pastebin.com/11dCwcBt

I feel like I am missing mod files in the addons[] sections however I do not know which ones. All help is appreciated!

Editing the mission.sqm is a very bad practice, which can corrupt the file and possibly crash the game. The most simplest thing you could have done is copy the stuff within the editor from altis, into a new mission on the map you are after. (Make that a new mission as well, then save it)

With regards to it not loading, it could either be that your PC is slow or it was the above I explained.

• Like 2

Editing the mission.sqm is a very bad practice, which can corrupt the file and possibly crash the game. The most simplest thing you could have done is copy the stuff within the editor from altis, into a new mission on the map you are after. (Make that a new mission as well, then save it)

With regards to it not loading, it could either be that your PC is slow or it was the above I explained.

I never built the mission in the editor, therefore how else am I supposed to load the default mission.sqm into the editor? Its common 'practice' and its what 9/10 people have been doing to port/change values. Secondly, it has nothing to do with my PC at all. This is being ran on a linux dedi to start with, secondly its something to do with the addons.

1. addOns[]=
  2.         {
  3.                 "exile_client",
  4.                 "saralite",
  5.                 "cabuildings_misc",
  6.                 "aia_misc_e_config",
  7.                 "A3_Modules_F",
  8.                 "A3_Characters_F_BLUFOR",
  9.                 "a3_characters_f",
  10.                 "A3_Armor_F_Panther",
  11.                 "A3_Modules_F_Effects",
  12.                 "A3_Structures_F_Wrecks",
  13.                 "A3_Structures_F_Training",
  14.                 "A3_Structures_F_EPA_Mil_Scrapyard",
  15.                 "A3_Signs_F",
  16.                 "A3_Soft_F_Gamma_HEMTT",
  17.                 "A3_Soft_F_Quadbike",
  18.                 "A3_Structures_F_Civ_Dead",
  19.                 "A3_Structures_F_Mil_Fortification",
  20.                 "A3_Structures_F_Items_Electronics",
  21.                 "A3_Structures_F_Civ_Camping",
  22.                 "A3_Structures_F_Items_Vessels",
  23.                 "A3_Soft_F_HEMTT",
  24.                 "aia_buildings_config",
  25.                 "aia_misc_config",
  26.                 "aia_misc3_config",
  27.                 "A3_Air_F_Heli_Light_01",
  28.         };
  29.         addOnsAuto[]=
  30.         {
  31.                 "exile_client",
  32.                 "A3_Modules_F",
  33.                 "saralite"
  34.         };

I either need to add to the addons or take some things away, I have absolutely no idea where the f*ck you get these mod names/file names or what ever they are... I can load multiple maps fine, just typical the one I want to use doesn't want to load. Either way this is posted in the wrong section, so ill be remaking it.

You should have the server files for Exile. You need to de-PBO the mission, then edit it from the editor like anything else. Copy the items from that map, and then load your new map in the editor and place them down. Copy all the other files from the unpacked PBO into the new mission folder, and repack it.

Put the Exile.Altis folder from unpacking the PBO in C:\Users\<user>\Documents\Arma 3\missions\ (or C:\Users\<user>\Documents\Arma 3 - Other Profiles\<profile>\missions\) to load it like any other user mission.

There is no need to manually edit the .SQM file.

• Like 2

You should have the server files for Exile. You need to de-PBO the mission, then edit it from the editor like anything else. Copy the items from that map, and then load your new map in the editor and place them down. Copy all the other files from the unpacked PBO into the new mission folder, and repack it.

Put the Exile.Altis folder from unpacking the PBO in C:\Users\<user>\Documents\Arma 3\missions\ (or C:\Users\<user>\Documents\Arma 3 - Other Profiles\<profile>\missions\) to load it like any other user mission.

Cheers for the guidance, will give this a look now. For some reason, it is 'common' practice to edit straight from the mission.sqm, so that is what I had been doing. I guess I was told wrong.

Cheers for the guidance, will give this a look now. For some reason, it is 'common' practice to edit straight from the mission.sqm, so that is what I had been doing. I guess I was told wrong.

That 'common' practice is very risky. But there's no point in doing so, as all the resources used in the Altis map, could effect its position in the other map. (e.g. character on Altis could end up in the sea on Stratis)

As coolside has mentioned, you will need to extract the .pbo with extractPBO or Arma 3 Tools, and then place the file within your missions folder.

But as I have mentioned, it is a bad practice, as you may experience a error "Error: Mission file is corrupt or damaged", if you edit mission.sqm. Renaming the folder (e.g. "mymission.Stratis" to "mymission.Altis") is also risky as the positioning of the resources will change upon the map's size.

• Like 1

That 'common' practice is very risky. 

But as I have mentioned, it is a bad practice, as you may experience a error "Error: Mission file is corrupt or damaged", if you edit mission.sqm. Renaming the folder (e.g. "mymission.Stratis" to "mymission.Altis") is also risky as the positioning of the resources will change upon the map's size.

Please don't spread misinformation. It's really not that big of a deal, it's only a text file and if you know the structure of it then it's very simple to edit.

• Like 1

Please don't spread misinformation. It's really not that big of a deal, it's only a text file and if you know the structure of it then it's very simple to edit.

Yes, It can be edited, but with caution. I have done this before and ended up with an error by making such a blind mistake in the mission.sqm, which will not load the mission. (I strongly suggest you make backups just in case if that happens)

If you don't believe me, reconstruct the error in Arma 2 or Arma 3 by making such a simple mistake such as missing casing and you will see the error.

But I cannot stress further enough, just please make sure your mission.sqm has correct syntax and you will be fine. :) (Notepad++ is the way to go if you have it)

• Like 1

Yes, It can be edited, but with caution. I have done this before and ended up with an error by making such a blind mistake in the mission.sqm, which will not load the mission. (I strongly suggest you make backups just in case if that happens)

If you don't believe me, reconstruct the error in Arma 2 or Arma 3 by making such a simple mistake such as missing casing and you will see the error.

But I cannot stress further enough, just please make sure your mission.sqm has correct syntax and you will be fine. :) (Notepad++ is the way to go if you have it)

Thanks for the help, I later discovered you were right. I originally thought I had to add the addon values but thats done by itself in the edtior which is a lot easier... I recieved some great help from pillow, my pbo extractor was somehow depbo'ing the file with half its contents missing. He sent me in the way of eliteness, got it installed and walked me through it.

This issue is solved, thank you all very much.

• Like 1