outbreak_thumb.jpg

Sentinel - 'Outbreak' 

Altis, Esseker & Chernarus Editions

Description:
This is a sandbox style mission where the player must escape from an island where there's been an outbreak of a highly contagious rage-inducing virus, which turns those who have been infected into blood-thirsty, violent psychotics.

The mission begins in a different way depending on which edition you're playing. On Altis you're an innocent holidaymaker that's stuck on the island when the outbreak hits, in Esseker you're the lone survivor of a plane crash, while on the Chernarus version you've been kidnapped after the refugee camp you were working at was attacked by soldiers and are currently being held captive in an underground facility. Deciding that just waiting to die isn't exactly how they'd like to spend their last few hours on earth, the player must venture forth and will need to make use of whatever weapons and equipment they find scattered around in buildings, vehicles and dead bodies in order to survive long enough to find a means of escaping the island.

Trying to stay alive is made even more challenging as the player will have to either evade or kill the crazed remnants of those that have been infected by the virus; as well as scattered groups of bandits - and in the case of the Altis and Chernarus editions there's even hostile soldiers who would rather shoot first than risk being infected themselves.

Thankfully in the Altis and Chernaurs editions the player isn't completely alone however, as there are still a handful of survivors scattered around who are desperately trying to hold back the never ending hordes of the infected. The Esseker edition is a much darker and lonelier experience as it's set later in the Outbreak timeline and takes place in a location that's suffered the ravages of time and neglect after the initial outbreak.

Features:

-=Altis Edition=-

• 8 Random starting locations and random loot that spawns in almost all the buildings mean that you'll have a different experience each time you play.
  • 4 Different ways to complete the mission, including 2 obvious and 2 relatively hidden methods of escape that only a few sharp eyed or resourceful players will find.
  • Random Bandits and even armed civilians that are friendly to the player that spawn at certain locations and with random gear.
  • Simple text based narration courtesy of IndeedPete's conversation system.
  • Vehicles that have a random chance of spawning at certain locations, each with varying degrees of fuel remaining and damage done.
  • Hordes of infected that will pursue you relentlessly for as long as they can see/sense you, with more spawning closer to villages and cities.
  • The ability to sit down and rest to heal minor injuries (those that are less than 33%) slowly over time.
  • While resting, the player can build a campfire which will automatically save their progress - be advised that even though this feature can be used multiple times, it comes with a 10 minute cool down timer.
  • The infected can cripple/kill the player with several hits, and will damage and eventually destroy the player's vehicle if they managed to swarm around it and keep pounding it with their fists and rocks.
  • Custom sounds and textures for a richer experience.
  • Created to be vanilla Arma 3 friendly, no 3rd party mods or addons required.

-=Esseker Edition=-

• 6 Random starting locations and random loot spawns in almost all the buildings mean that you'll have a different experience each time you play.
  • 3 Different ways to complete the mission, including 2 different methods of escaping from Esseker and a highly optional 'King of the Wasteland' ending for the murdering sociopaths among you.
  • Random Bandits/Marauders spawning at certain locations and with random gear.
  • An underground bunker area that is created through the clever use of scripts and existing structures, it's not pretty, but it is functional.
  • The ability to sit down and rest to heal minor injuries (those that are less than 33%) slowly over time.
  • Vehicles that have a random chance of spawning at certain locations, each with varying degrees of fuel remaining and damage done.
  • Hordes of infected that will pursue you relentlessly for as long as they can see/sense you, with more spawning closer to villages and cities.
  • The infected can cripple/kill the player with several hits, and will damage and eventually destroy the player's vehicle if they managed to swarm around it and keep pounding it with their fists and rocks.

-=Chernarus Edition=-

• 4 Random starting locations and random loot that spawns in almost all the buildings mean that you'll have a different experience each time you play.
  • 3 Different ways to escape from Chernarus and complete the mission, and a highly optional 'Ruler of South Zagoria' ending for the murdering sociopaths among you.
  • Added the ability for the player to sit down and rest, which will slowly heal minor injuries (damage to the player must be less than 33%). First Aid kits must still be used to treat any serious injuries first, otherwise the player will not be able to heal when they try to rest. You know you are healing when you see the word 'resting' in the top right corner of the screen, this fades away when back at full health.
  • You can rest near the campfire in the tower at the Survivor Stronghold in order to save your progress, but this comes with a 10 minute cool down period before it can be used again.
  • Random Bandits that spawn at certain locations and with random gear.

Installation:

Extract the .pbo file(s) to your Steam/SteamApps/common/ArmA 3/Missions folder.

Credits & thanks:

-=Altis Edition=-
B. Robertson (aka Capt.Robertson / Baraban) and the Sentinel Team - Mission design and testing.
Special Thanks To BobTom aka Craig and Corvobrok - Original Infected Scripts.
IndeedPete - Conversation System.
ZZEZ - Loadout Script.
BangaBob aka H8ermaker - Loot Script.
[sTELS]Zealot - Random Vehicles Script.

-=Chernarus Edition=-

Red Hammer Studios - Russian & US Equipment.

-=Esseker Edition=-

RonhillUltra and ThcMonkee - Esseker Map.

Change Log:
-=New in version 1.05=-

• Edited the Game Logics and Triggers to make the mission compatible with Eden/Apex, the mission should now appear in the scenario list again. (All Editions)
  • Added the new 8 point military cap to the USMC officer on board the USS Khe Sahn. (Chernarus Edition)
  • Left some of the portable lights on in the Underground Bunker after the power is cut, as it appears as though BIS have drastically reducing the distance that the ambient light travels in a recent update. Most portable lights like those have got their own independent power source anyway so it doesn't really break the immersion too much. (Chernarus Edition)
  • Added a new Bandit camp at the junk yard, South of Petlov Grad. (Esseker Edition)
  • Added a few more spawns to account for the new locations in the most recent version of Esseker. (Esseker Edition)
  • Tweaked the waypoint for the UN Helo to make it more likely to land on the roof of the hospital. (Esseker Edition)

-=New in version 1.03=-

• Changed the base units and added new textures to the infected to make them look like they're more suitably well clothed for a temperate environment. (Chernarus & Esseker Editions)
  • Made some changes to the Infected scripts to fix a bug that crept in with the recent Arma 3 patch, this only broke the Chernarus version as the infected spawned as side GUER instead of CIV, now all editions have the infected spawn on side CIV. (Chernarus Edition)
  • Added another 2 spawning locations for the Fuel Trucks. (Chernarus Edition)
  • Added a trigger to fully repair the escape helicopter after it's manually repaired and refuelled by the player, this will disable that annoying master warning alarm. (Esseker Edition)

-=New in version 1.02 (All Editions)=-

• Added more bandanas and sunglasses for the Bandits, and made some of them spawn with just balaclavas to add a little more variety.
  • Added a few more entries into the init.sqf file to trip a lot of the trigger conditions on mission start to false, this is the default trigger condition state and I normally don't need to define it in the init file but people running the game with the -ShowScriptError start parameter were constantly being spammed with undefined condition error messages. This doesn't have any effect on gameplay and was more of an annoyance for the people that have this start parameter as default - usually modders or mission makers and their testers.
  • Fixed a small bug that was present in the original random vehicle spawning script, so now the random vehicles should spawn even in the small villages and continue appearing until the end of the mission for the Altis and Chernarus editions.

Requirements:

* Please note that you can use any 3rd party mod/addon that's not listed in the requirements below, but you do so at your own risk as it may change the overall mission experience and in some cases, possibly even break it.

-=Altis Edition=-

• None - No mods/addons required for the Altis edition. This was created with vanilla Arma 3 in mind.

-=Chernarus Edition=-

-=Esseker Edition=-

Known Issues & Future Plans:

• (Esseker Edition) There's still issues with the underground bunker section of the map, particularly with regards to it making the player go into the skydiving animation whenever he steps off a ladder or falls down.
    This is due to the altitude this area is set at (2500M), and while for the most part it isn't too much of a problem and has been fixed with some scripting, occasionally the player will stay in the skydiving animation and float a few feet above the ground.
    The best fix for this is to drop your weapon or put it in your backpack (or if you're using ACE3 - just put your weapon on your back), this will change the player's animation and he'll land as normal.
  • In very rare instances one or two of the infected sometimes spawn without ambient sound effects, making them particularly dangerous if you're not paying attention.
  • (Esseker Edition) On some occasions the pilot of the rescue helicopter will land nearby again briefly even after picking up the player, this is just another glitch in the AI, but it's not game breaking.
  • There's a few buildings in the map that the infected still struggle to navigate properly, although this is more of an issue with Arma 3's poor AI pathfinding.
  • (Altis Edition) On some occasions when reverting to a previous save, or continuing an older game, the scripts and conversation system may take a few minutes to catch up again. This is due to the large size of the map and sheer amount of scripts in use and can't be helped.
  • (Altis Edition) When building a campfire they will appear at the same altitude above ground level as the player's feet; which means that even though you can build them inside a house or on the top floor of an office building, if you're standing too close to the edge of a building or rock formation the campfire may end up floating in mid-air over the side.

Download:

Sentinel - Outbreak - Altis Edition (v1.05)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/h2tr4rti3xk2wte/sentinel-outbreak-altis-edition-v1-0-5.rar (Rar file)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/dlofad6l8u1vd80/sentinel-outbreak-altis-edition-v1-0-5.7z (7Zip file)

Sentinel - Outbreak - Esseker Edition (v1.05)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/1izk97f1bgjr323/sentinel-outbreak-esseker-edition-v1-0-5.rar (Rar file)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/r78yjl1ymcuc4wr/sentinel-outbreak-esseker-edition-v1-0-5.7z (7Zip file)

Sentinel - Outbreak - Chernarus Edition (v1.05) 

http://www.mediafire.com/download/d9a8g0uiv9ovf4x/sentinel-outbreak-chernarus-edition-v1-0-5.rar (Rar file)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/t29wxtcvyjt8gbm/sentinel-outbreak-chernarus-edition-v1-0-5.7z (7Zip file)

Gallery:

outbreak_3_3.jpg

outbreak_1_3.jpg

outbreak_4_3.jpg

outbreak_altis_1_3.jpg

outbreak_altis_3_3.jpg

outbreak_altis_4_3.jpg

outbreak_altis_5_3.jpg

outbreak_chernarus_01.jpg

outbreak_chernarus_02.jpg

outbreak_chernarus_03.jpg

outbreak_chernarus_04.jpg

outbreak_chernarus_05.jpg

outbreak_chernarus_06_1.jpg

outbreak_chernarus_07.jpg

YouTube Videos:

• Like 2

I´m enjoying those missions a lot, you Sir made me re-install Esseker map (wasn´t using it before cus it was crashing a lot, seems more stable now thou) just to play it - but the Altis version is awesome too... liked a lot the fact that isn´t just an "altis version", it´s another mission, with another main character (on Esseker, you´re a military contractor, on altis - just a tourist trapped on the zombie outbreak), and quite clever usage of IndeedPete´s dialog module, awesome!

I´d just suggest that the Esseker character started with at least a pistol, as he´s a contractor... and maybe the usage of Rick´s survival module and objects - even his zombies, which already use Gulo´s Damn of the dead textures - http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=29006 and http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=28752 (after all, it´s a long and lootable mission, hunger and thirst and consumable loot would add a lot more immersion to this already kickass mission)

Keep up the great work, Baraban!

cheers! 

Thanks for giving me proper credit. I only had a quick look at the Altis version but was immediately spammed with script errors. You might want to sort them out and do an update, most seem to be due to undefined variables. Don't forget to use Arma 3's Starup Parameters, look for -showScriptErrors.

• Like 1

Yep, i'm with corporal_lib on this one, been enjoying the Altis version for a few weeks now, I've already stated my appreciation on the Armaholics forum, nice to see it pop up here. 

Thanks for giving me proper credit. I only had a quick look at the Altis version but was immediately spammed with script errors. You might want to sort them out and do an update, most seem to be due to undefined variables. Don't forget to use Arma 3's Starup Parameters, look for -showScriptErrors.

Excellent!

Thanks for the heads-up IndeedPete, it turns out that a lot of the new conversation triggers needed to be defined as false at the beginning of the init.sqf - that's just been fixed and it'll be added in a future update, thankfully it doesn't appear to cause any issues in-game, other than spamming anyone that's got the -showScriptErrors start param activated.... Good Catch!

Best,

Hey Baraban, I´ve noticed that the zombie spam script is somewhat erradic on Esseker... my first playthrough, it had no zombies at all (only had to worry about marauders, which was fun enough), the second they swarmed the military instalation and I´ve managed to escape but then I´ve visited many cities which were empty (except for the few marauders scouts) and when I got back to the military instalation (with the toolpack to open the underground bunker) there wasn´t a single zombie left and none spammed for the rest of the mission!

I´ve also noticed that when the zombies showed up, I couldn´t find RHS weapons as loot, only the vests, and when the zombies didn´t showed up from the start, there was a normal spamming of RHS weapons!

I´ll test more and see if I can see some empirical co-relation between this phenomena (and maybe play with only RHS, AiA TP and Esseker on.. maybe ACE or any other gamplay mods are interfering with the spam scripts)

cheers!

Thanks Corporal_lib,

There's a few mods out there that might cause a few glitches... Stormforge has reported that apparently MCC and TPW conflict with the loot and random spawning scripts, but running with just the addons mentioned in the requirements should be fine.

ACE 3 and RHS should be fine though as those were tested a lot back in beta and were even used in the teaser video I posted on YouTube, that's the one where there's zombies spawning and RHS loot in the barn in the second scene.

The only other problems we've run into during testing is that sometimes the scripts don't always fire correctly when you load/revert to an earlier saved game, alt-tab in and out, or if there's a huge pause and/or slowdown caused by textures or objects loading, but that's just Arma being Arma and we've kind of gotten used to it working perfectly about 75% of the time. ;)

Let me know if you come across any specific mods/addons that cause any problems with it though, and I'll try and look into it when I've got some spare time... It might be something as simple as just having to rename something in the scripting, or one of the markers/triggers 'etc'.

Best,

Nope, MCC and TPW aren´t breaking the spawn scripts (at least I´m only using MCC to see units positions and eventual teleporting and TPW only for HUD/rain/Fog/Fall modules), I´ve pinpointed the culpit to failing zombie spawn: NSS Admin Console https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/157182-nss-admin-console/page-2?hl=admin+tools#entry2723310 

If I use it (only use the map teleport function) the zombies stop spawning... while I was using only MCC and TPW it was fine, once I use any NSS function, the zombies stop spawning... the dialogs and marauders encounters work fine, I can escape the map repairing the chopper and mission accomplished, but there´s not a single zed ever since...

On Altis there´s no problem using NSS thou... 

cheers!

• Like 1

Nope, MCC and TPW aren´t breaking the spawn scripts (at least I´m only using MCC to see units positions and eventual teleporting and TPW only for HUD/rain/Fog/Fall modules), I´ve pinpointed the culpit to failing zombie spawn: NSS Admin Console https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/157182-nss-admin-console/page-2?hl=admin+tools#entry2723310 

If I use it (only use the map teleport function) the zombies stop spawning... while I was using only MCC and TPW it was fine, once I use any NSS function, the zombies stop spawning... the dialogs and marauders encounters work fine, I can escape the map repairing the chopper and mission accomplished, but there´s not a single zed ever since...

On Altis there´s no problem using NSS thou... 

cheers!

That's brilliant and actually very useful indeed in helping me pinpoint what the problem might be... At the moment Altis and Esseker use two slightly different methods of triggering the infected's appearance. Altis uses markers with a radius to determine where the infected are allowed to spawn, while Esseker just uses a constantly active proximity to player method based on how many house class objects are within 120m.

I'll have to look at it all again in more detail once I'm back from work.

Best,

Nice... once you fix the Esseker version, I´ll have another go, with plenty of zombies lol... would you experiment using RickB zombies I´ve linked to you some posts above? They´re not performance demanding as Ryans zombies, and they actually look like zombies (have custom infected skins)

cheers!

The Esseker version has now been updated to use the same method of spawning as the Altis one, and as a bonus I've included a few more items in the loot spawns and a message that comes up when the player is near the motorboat; explaining that Esseker is landlocked but the boat can still be used to travel downriver to the city... Just for those special people that tried to drive it over the land at the end of the river, hoping to escape. ;)

Best,

• Like 1

The Esseker version has now been updated [...]and a message that comes up when the player is near the motorboat; explaining that Esseker is landlocked but the boat can still be used to travel downriver to the city... Just for those special people that tried to drive it over the land at the end of the river, hoping to escape. ;)

I was one of those silly and full of wishful thinking persons lol

Thanks for the update, gonna playtest it right now! =)

cheers!

Hey Baraban, I´ve noticed that the zombie spam script is somewhat erradic on Esseker... my first playthrough, it had no zombies at all (only had to worry about marauders, which was fun enough), the second they swarmed the military instalation and I´ve managed to escape but then I´ve visited many cities which were empty (except for the few marauders scouts) and when I got back to the military instalation (with the toolpack to open the underground bunker) there wasn´t a single zombie left and none spammed for the rest of the mission!

I´ve also noticed that when the zombies showed up, I couldn´t find RHS weapons as loot, only the vests, and when the zombies didn´t showed up from the start, there was a normal spamming of RHS weapons!

I´ll test more and see if I can see some empirical co-relation between this phenomena (and maybe play with only RHS, AiA TP and Esseker on.. maybe ACE or any other gamplay mods are interfering with the spam scripts)

cheers!

i think I had the same issue-I was running MCC and ACE (and about 40 other mods lol0 and when I first stepped out of the plane crash,I didn't know what do do.It said look for the crew,but i had no map or weapon etc,and there was no crew or supplies anywhere(or zombies)I opened MCC to see where things were and there were no units closer than 4KMs to me.I'll try it again without MCC and ACE+_ ASR_AI

Yeah, Stormforge has mentioned that there's problems with MCC and the spawn and loot scripts, but I've only installed MCC briefly for testing purposes and not been able to replicate it reliably enough to pinpoint an exact problem, so there might be another mod on top of that one that's causing the issue some people are having.

Unfortunately the only mods that are supported are the ones listed in the requirements (and ACE3 if you want a challenge).... There's a lot of 3rd party addons out there and some of them do seem to change the core game mechanics and/or add their own scripts; and it looks like the vanilla scripts in Outbreak do get mangled as a result of this.

I've played through the Esseker mission twice last night to make sure the new changes worked as planned and didn't run into any issues - other than being one-shotted by the bandit at the top of the apartment buildings, but that was just carelessness and poor use of cover on my part. ;)  The Infected still spawned all the way through to the end and the loot still appeared, even the RHS stuff.

So it's very much a case of - you can use any 3rd party mod/addon that's not listed in the requirements, but you do so at your own risk as it may change the overall mission experience, and possibly even break it....

Best,

It is not MCC, it works alright with it on! I suspect it is NSS Admin mod ... and the latest (1.0.1) Esseker mission is working fine, all loots and lotsa zombies with both MCC and TPW on! Already flew out by fixing the chopper and calling UN Mi-8 white Hip... now gotta test the "King of Wasteland" ending lol

cheers!

It is not MCC, it works alright with it on! I suspect it is NSS Admin mod ... and the latest (1.0.1) Esseker mission is working fine, all loots and lotsa zombies with both MCC and TPW on! Already flew out by fixing the chopper and calling UN Mi-8 white Hip... now gotta test the "King of Wasteland" ending lol

cheers!

Excellent!!

I'll have to use you as my test subject for the Chernarus version, in that one you actually start inside an underground bunker. ;)

Tip - for the King of the Wasteland ending, there's not only bandits in the marked locations, there's a few that have a 50% chance of spawning on the rooftops on some of the buildings in Esseker City (and lower Esseker) plus there's also a group with an offroad that saw your plane come down, so they'll be heading towards it after a few minutes - if you're well armed you can come back to the crash site and ambush them!

Best,

• Like 1

That's correct.

Your character mentions needing to find one in the Esseker version shortly after encountering the infected; and in the Altis version during the briefing you mention that your hire car and map were stolen the day before.

You can find maps either as loot from inside houses or from one of the vehicles scattered about... You quite literally start with nothing in this mission... Unless you're exceptionally lucky in the Altis version and a map and assault rifle spawns in your starter house - in which case I sometimes just restart as it makes it way too easy.

There are no waypoints or objective markers in this mission, there are multiple ways of escaping the island/country and completing the mission, but you'll need to figure them out for yourself using your own initiative - although there are very strong hints as to how to do this mentioned during the course of the mission, especially as you encounter other survivors on Altis, or as you explore Esseker.

If you're stuck then just read what Corporal_Lib has mentioned above for some hints, or for the Altis version just watch the Let's Play I've posted on my YouTube channel, I've actually hinted at several methods of escape in that one, but been very careful not to give too much away about the semi-secret one.... So far only one other person has found it, but as he's a member of the Sentinel Team it doesn't really count. ;)

Best,

Excellent!!

I'll have to use you as my test subject for the Chernarus version, in that one you actually start inside an underground bunker. ;)

Tip - for the King of the Wasteland ending, there's not only bandits in the marked locations, there's a few that have a 50% chance of spawning on the rooftops on some of the buildings in Esseker City (and lower Esseker) plus there's also a group with an offroad that saw your plane come down, so they'll be heading towards it after a few minutes - if you're well armed you can come back to the crash site and ambush them!

Best,

You can count me in, I´ve already playtested many missions and even campaigns for guys like MistyRonin, Cyper, TokyoIndia and Indeedpete =)

Don´t worry, with MCC I can have the exact location of every single bandit, so I´m just about to test the King of Wasteland (I´ll revert to my save before getting into the UN chopper, so I´ll go and finish off the last bad guys and become the "king of Esseker" lol) - I´ve already wasted the guys back on the crashed C-130 and those on the "gas station overbases"... even on flooded city ;)

Cheers!

cheers!

I don't use NSS-I was running it with my weapon mods as well as MCC,ACE and ASR_AI-maybe one of those?

Thanks Corporal_Lib, 

The Chernarus one is actually taking a little longer than I'd initially planned, as I've re-visited the 'underground bunker' section of the map and given it a little more atmosphere, including emergency lighting and ambient noises, but it adds a lot more to the feel of the mission (see the video below to see what I mean).

Hopefully should have something playable within the next week or two, work permitting. ;)

Best,

• Like 2

btw using the 1st page's Esseker version still getting 2 many errors :/

*added later

Also those zombies seems to always know your location/there was no way to lose them from my back.

Is anything can be done about that?

-about the errors-

I got errors regarding "RescuePilot" ..or similar

Another error regarding "health regen" and "Sit" (persistent on screen after i was hit)

So..the "rescuePilot" (or similar) error worried me -being (maybe) gamebraking at some point.

Don't worry G, neither are game breaking, they're both just cosmetic errors that are visible only to people that use the -ShowScriptErrors starting parameter (mission/mod makers and their testers usually); and have been fixed in the latest version that will be released at the same time as the Chernarus edition.

The Rescue Pilot error comes up for the co-pilot that's assigned to the turret (co-pilot seat) of the UN Mi-8 because there's a bracket missing in the last line of his init field, but he's still inside and in the correct seat when it appears to extract you near the end of the mission, besides he's not the one actually flying it so it's no biggie.... The regenerate error is just the game complaining that sitting=false; wasn't added into the init.sqf before the mission started, it doesn't have any effect on the script or gameplay other than being annoying for people using -ShowScriptErrors and should go away when you sit down.

Best,

• Like 2

WOW, Baraban, that Chernarus undergroung base is STALKER-ish grade on term of scary and creativity! Loved the concept of entrapment.... pretty anxious to playtest this new installment of Sentinel! many kudos!

Cheers!

• Like 1

You're very welcome Corporal_Lib,

I've sent you a link to the beta version - this is the only one available to non-Sentinel team members and providing there's no major bugs the official version will be released less than 24 hours later (On Armaholic first as always), along with updates for the other two versions.

Let me know how you get on with it?

P.S. This one actually has a more detailed back-story in the briefing, it's over a page long and reading it is optional though as it doesn't affect gameplay at all, it's just to provide atmosphere and set the scene. ;)

Best,

• Like 1