RhodesianScout

[WIP] Rhodesia Bush War

I will show the completed version of the picture from the last post sometime in the next 2 to 5 days. My real life work load should be easing in the next 48 hours giving me more time to work on the mod.

I have worked on a few things with the mod over the last 4 days but there has been mostly research  taking place to try and add realism to the mod.

For example........ taking some development notes and tips to get my mod looking like this one 

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/185055-wip-terrain-x-cam-taunus/

One good tip in mind is that I need to make the map AI friendly.....  I am hoping this to be a good map for coop battles as well as single player.

Hence.... lots of testing along the way.

The good news is that I should be back to having a lot more time for this mod as of tomorrow morning.

In the last 24 hours I have being doing a lot of Photoshop work on the image from 2 posts ago........   I have blacked out 80% of the picture as the the main picture is still classified but should change to unclassified in a few days .

I can say that the picture will be seen in Arma 3 when this mod is released.

g0BxxAe.jpg

Map looks amazing, keep up the good work 

I have pretty much finished the picture........ just got a few touch-ups with photoshop before it is finished.

Reveal will be in the next few days.

I have had a change of mind........ instead of having you wait a few days I will release the picture that will appear for the mod ......  right now.

So when the first version of the mod is released this is the picture you will see , with a few additional changes , when you select the mod to play.

I have found a huge source of images on the Internet I can use for reference for objects and scenery that will appear in the mod. These will hopefully give the mod an as realistic as possible rendition of the actual bush war .

I have also changed the name of my mod slightly..... now called Rhodesia Bush War........ I dropped the "N"

With civilians I already mentioned I will be adding female citizens to the mod........ however because of a man shortage during the war....... women solders were also trained in combat and I will look at the option of adding them in as well. After all .... there are plenty of ladies out there playing Arma 3 every day and I am sure they would be happy to play a female character.

The picture below is a smaller version I setup just for the forum. The actual picture is the proper specs to be read by Arma 3.

9eRZWGd.jpg

• Like 4

Map looks amazing, keep up the good work 

The map in  the picture is not actually the map from the mod......... it is a topographical map of Rhodesia that I am using to plan where specific smaller maps will be....showing where the hills are...the rivers and dams......the flat areas.

As you can see in my last post it is the screen you will see when my mod is released when you click on Rhodesia Bush Wars to play a mission.

A rondavel ..........a westernized version of the African hut

If you read any of the books about the Rhodesian Bush War you will no doubt read about Rondavels somewhere in the book.

For example, after completing their first mission they were sitting in a small rondavel back at the base looking face to face with the FRELIMO guerilla freshly captured by the Rhodesian Light Infantry.

Not only were the rondavels in many military stories but  they were also very common around Rhodesia.....at least when I was there......available for rent in game parks or on a trip down to South Africa available as a stop along the way as a motel room. Some of the rondavels I was in were huge with multiple rooms....... a great place to search to see if enemies are hiding inside.

Below is a preview with example picture of a rondavel being created for the mod.

The thatched roof looks a little taller than that in the picture but when I round the top of the roof so it is not so pointy then the roof should be the right size.

Creating custom objects will be done at times when I am not not working on the map itself.

cgrAA27.jpg

Some other pictures of what else will be seen in the mod.

- huts used by the African civilians

- shops that you will need to enter to search for ZAPU or ZANU guerillas

- wooden fences

- African villages with wooden fences

- African men, women and children  (if possible)

- and more.................

CS2qKpL.jpg

I am a little rusty on model creation but this is the alpha version of one of the rondavels being added to the mod.

To give highest frame rates possible, unseen surfaces have being removed such as under the roof and the rondavel is hollowed out allowing Rhodesian Infantry to get inside if there is a firefight.

Still work to be done on this model......such as finding a better texture for the thatched roof, adding a fringe to the edge of the roof and adding detailed texture to the wall.

Interior walls still to be painted and the rondavel divided into 2 rooms with this particular model.

I will add this basic version to the mod, make sure windows and doors are the right size and see if anything else needs to be added to the model.

When placed in the mod the different versions of the rondavel will be placed on one of various different stone circles which will make up the floor of the rondavel....as seen in the top left picture of my last postings.

As rondavels are outside objects I will be adding weathering effects to the models.

aUJhBs2.jpg

Edit : Image above of model updated with new straw texture

Edit : 5 different versions of rondavel created   2 shown above

• Like 1

Something in the works........

This is a little side project I am going to spend 2 or 3 months working on ......   15 to 30 minutes a day adding little pieces on here and there.....

By far this will be the most complex model I have worked on and my job is to make it so it is included in the mod and not drag the frame rates down ...hence complex object made simple.

When  I was in Rhodesia my greatest memories were of the Garrett locomotives thundering past us........ absolutely incredible trains.

I have 3 missions planned for my mod which include passenger trains .... hence my reason to include the Garrett locomotive.

The Garrett will not be animated...... the trains will be stopped but with a little luck I can get a smoke or steam effect happening.

The missions are planned....written down on paper...and it is just a matter of finishing this model and getting it into Arma 3.

Work started on this little project on Friday....... already making some good progress.....

First images of the model are not likely until the end of December

HINT : One of the missions may involve you being inside the passenger carriages firing out the windows. Depending on whether I can get  this working you may need to search the passenger carriages.... each divided into 4 separate and enclosed passenger sections where a guerrilla may be hiding.

meD6TOL.jpg

• Like 3

Hi,

Thanks alot for your outstanding efforts at this project. Especially for the ongoing information about the progress.
I love your "Daily News"  :)

Keep it up and pls don´t lose your fun on your great project!

Greetings

McLupo

Hi,

Thanks alot for your outstanding efforts at this project. Especially for the ongoing information about the progress.

I love your "Daily News"  :)

Keep it up and pls don´t lose your fun on your great project!

Greetings

McLupo

Thanks for the support McLupo.......

Today my plans are to go back to something I had planned and announced back in September 11...almost a month ago.... where I was having issues creating what should have being fairly simple........

I think I have the graphics issue solved however when creating the object I am getting errors with the config file....... once I get that worked out I can test the object I had planned to show last month.

When I have this master object completed and working it will be used to create 150 other objects I have planned for this mod.

any working ponds or rivers yet?

Milkman gave examples and how to create them: 

Milkman gave examples and how to create them:

EDIT: I had originally dismissed the idea of using the pond objects in my mod ....... but after some extensive research I am now thinking that the pond objects are exactly what I am looking for.

any working ponds or rivers yet?

Rhodesia has a number of rivers and lakes and these will be shown in some of the maps I will be doing of the Rhodesia Bush War. Examples are the Zambezi River,  Limpopo River, Lake Kariba and Lake Kyle.....and if I can work out how to do it....Victoria Falls..... have already seen some water fall animation.

The map is still in its early stages and one of the things I am not happy with is the water in the map........ and I have being doing some research to go about fixing it.

Apart from the lakes and rivers mentioned above I am planning to have water holes spread around the maps and an example is shown below to give an idea what these water holes will look like.

From my early research I believe I will be able to add these water holes anywhere and at any height...not just at sea level......and change the appearance of the water so some of the water holes will be stagnant water....as shown below.

Early days yet and I have a whole bunch of testing to do to see if this is going to be possible.

But if it is .....the look I am trying to get with the water holes is shown here:

screenshot from Arma 2

rpWDDIA.jpg

As mentioned in my last post I have now reconsidered the idea of using pond objects in the Rhodesia Bush Wars mod. In fact these objects are perhaps exactly what I am looking for.

There were a couple of issues I had been concerned about, such as an issue which appeared when there was fog in the area. Over the time of developing this map I will look at what is causing the issue with the water when there is fog around and see if this can be fixed. If not, a possibility for this mod is that fog is disabled.

The picture from the last post turns out to be an example of a pond object and the 2 pictures below are also examples.

I think the visual look of the water is exactly what I need for the mod and the benefits easily outweigh any issues.

With these 2 pictures you can see the water looks different in each of the pictures...despite each of the pictures being taken at the same time of day......the early hours of the morning.

The following screenshots are from a test map generated in Arma 3

L50VJuO.jpg

ZSNzNyQ.jpg

One more water pic tested before I get back to other things.

My understanding is that the issue with fog with these pond objects does not appear if I make sure I do not use the same pond object twice.

The following screenshot is from a test map generated in Arma 3

PY642gK.jpg

• Like 3

One more water pic tested before I get back to other things.

My understanding is that the issue with fog with these pond objects does not appear if I make sure I do not use the same pond object twice.

The following screenshot is from a test map generated in Arma 3

PY642gK.jpg

Deceptively real looking bank.

Great job.

Greetings

McLupo

• Like 1

I know you haven't started modelling gear yet, but I would like to say that there is a severe shortage of realistic insurgent vests and/or chest webbings in the ArmA3 community! Are you planning on adding a bunch of vests? Because they're really needed imho!

I know you haven't started modelling gear yet, but I would like to say that there is a severe shortage of realistic insurgent vests and/or chest webbings in the ArmA3 community! Are you planning on adding a bunch of vests? Because they're really needed imho!

Well there are a few chi-com and AK web gear out there , personally i'd like to see some battle/fire force vests.

Yeah there are one or two models of mediocre quality and only one of good quality afaik. That's not enough, but yes definitely also fire force vests

True, a few better chicom's and an honest to god soviet lifchik rig, and perhaps some older french/british/belgian/american ww2 and 50's era web gear would complement the web gear nicely great thing about the time period is that so much can be incorporated, so anything from old british ww2 webbing to american alice gear for the rhodesian farm security mercs can be used, same for weapons.

This is a bit of a stretch and early to say this, but theres a fellow on here ,who's doing a Congo crisis mod and in the past has done a Portuguese bush wars mod for arma2, perhaps later on you two could collaborate.