RhodesianScout

[WIP] Rhodesia Bush War

ECCbU69.jpg

First post Edited October 24th with the official name of the first map for the Rhodesia Bush Wars:

The first map of the Rhodesia Bush Wars now has an official name :

Map 1 : Battle of the Mpopoma Dam

End of Edit

I have been enjoying playing ARMA 3 since buying it back in July and am now at a stage where I am working on the first of many mods covering the events of the Rhodesian Bush War.

Work is under way on the first map which I previewed in L3DT this morning and it looks like a good start.

For the past month and a bit I have being doing a Rhodesian Infantry combat simulation using the N'ziwasogo map as it was  the closest map I could find to the Rhodesian bush.

I have been learning what is involved with creating a map in Arma 3 and the mod is well and truly under way.

The picture above will give an idea of the look and atmosphere I am trying to get with the mod and this bush will be very difficult to track down where the enemy is hiding.

I was inspired by the N'ziwasogo map with it's look and sounds and I have already created 10 sounds which will be heard as ambient sounds around the map...... while testing the sounds it reminded me of when I was back there back in the 70s.

I suspect that I will need to create most if not all of the objects for the mod , such as the trees and bushes, to get the dry look of the bush but will see what trees are available in Arma 3 which may be suitable as they are.

• Like 5

IgaCqDU.png

This is a preview shot of the first map I am working on...... and is where the first mission for the mod is based.

The mission is called    "The Battle of Sinoia "  which was a military engagement near Sinoia between nationalist ZAPU and ZANU guerrillas and the Rhodesian government on 28 April 1966,

The textures are from Google Earth and with the maps I am renaming the towns, cities and locations to the names as they were back in 66.

Sinoia is north west of Salisbury and the mission involves tracking down a group of insurgents who had crossed over the border into Rhodesia from Zambia with the aim of kidnapping locals and forcibly recruiting them into their army. The success of the mission depends on you finding and killing the guerrillas before they kidnap the locals and flee back to Zambia. A 2nd mission may appear to protect a farm being attacked by a group of   guerrillas in the Hartley area...... south west of Salisbury. This 2nd mission will depend on whether I expand the map to twice it's existing size and therefore reach the Hartley area.

• Like 1

The size of the existing map is 10km by 10 km and I am now very likely to double that to 20x20. This would of course mean adding more objects etc to the map thus taking longer to finish but it would also cover a bigger area allowing some more interesting missions.....such as the Rhodesian forces starting further away from the Zambian border and having to chopper in.

To extend the map I am going to need to photoshop the google image I add on as the imagery for this area is divided into 2 different shades of color so I will need to try and recolor the image so the extended map matches the original 10km by 10km. 

The texture map looks pretty green despite the drought Zimbabwe has had for decades and this is because the drought is more towards the southern part of Rhodesia. However, to save time with the map building I will more than likely have the northern part of the country effected by drought too so I do not have to create a green and a dry copy of each tree and bush I create for the mod. Before I decide I will need to look at how easy it is to create 2 different versions of each tree and bush I create to keep things realistic.

My list of things to do so far:

1. Double size of map from 10x10 km to 20x20km

2. Learn how to create the trees , bushes, other objects for the map including the Rhodesian Infantry soldiers.

3. Find what weapons and vehicles were used in '66 and see if I can recreate them for the mod

4. I have 10 sounds I am using for the mod during the day. I need to create sounds for the african bush at night which sound different. Research using africam.

• Like 1

Looking good so far mate, keep up the good work.

-Regards,

WilCo.

A lot of work, but if you can do it the mod will be spectacular!

Good luck!

I just finished doubling the size of the map I have created 20 by 20 km and will next be collecting the dem data for the selected area, creating the height map, applying the texture and previewing it in L3DT and see what it looks like.

The picture below shows a red square which shows where exactly in Rhodesia my map terrain is created. I would love to do the entire country however since the country is 390 square km this would take me at least 60 years to finish this mod....... so I will start with this area first.

In the picture below I have left the name of Zimbabwe in and have left the city and towns as they are currently named as the picture is from the open topography site and is simply showing which section I am creating the terrain for.

cEZqHUB.jpg

Rhodesia at 20 x 20 km....... much better........

In this area of the country the terrain is flatter in the south (right of picture)  with mountains in the north........

my3PKoU.jpg

• Like 1

I had been hoping that I would have been 2 days into adding objects etc to the map..... but have reached a stumbling block where I have not been able to get my files into terrain builder.

Followed the tutorials out there step by step but don't get the same results as shown in the tutorials .... looking for that one tutorial which is easy to follow and gets my files into terrain builder.

Hi RhodesianScout, I don't know if it can help you with that, but these BI devs released a tool and did a few tutorials as well. That would probably be the most up-to-date terrain maker tutorials that one can find:

http://dev.arma3.com/post/oprep-terrain-processor

Thanks for that old_painless

I actually stumbled across that page yesterday and yes it looks very promising .  As it states on that page

"we're giving some of the map-makers a tool which, if used correctly, can speed up the process of populating the map and save them time on terrain polishing. "

which will be very handy for what I have planned for this mod.

• Like 1

ok    making some progress now 

I am going through        The Atlas: Guide to ArmA 3 Terrain Making     https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/178033-the-atlas-guide-to-arma-3-terrain-making/

This is something I wish I had found 3 days ago as it is more concise and goes into more detail about what is required.

Have gone through the exercise in the pdf up to the stage where I connect to bulldozer.... unfortunately the small window that should pop up does not appear so have to troubleshoot what is happening here.

While going through the atlas thread looking for a solution I stumbled on a post from February saying that Google Earth Pro is now free.

Oh how I wished I had seen that before all the work I did on the texture map on the weekend.

Google are now giving away free Google Earth Pro keys - which allow image saving at 4K+ resolutions (max up to 4800x4800)

For any other modders who want Google Earth Pro    http://google-latlong.blogspot.com.au/2015/01/google-earth-pro-is-now-free.html

Have just installed Google Earth Pro and after installing it the screen comes up about entering your username, licence code etc

All you have to do is download the installer, run it, then sign in using your e-mail address (as your username) and license code GEPFREE.

• Like 1

The difference in terrain between Google Earth Standard and Pro versions

In Pro I saved the image in file / save / save image and picked the maximum resolution

Comparing the two pictures there is a fair bit more detail with the higher resolution

onUwVcB.jpg

• Like 2

Weapons to be added to the mod

Rhodesian Light Infantry

- An FN FAL battle rifle with bayonet fixed

- FN MAG machine gun fitted with the C79 optical sight

- A Heckler & Koch G3A3 rifle

- variety of hand grenades including high-explosive (HE)

- white-phosphorus (WP), and colored smoke

- HE and WP rifle grenades 

-  anti-tank grenades or rockets

- Commando mortar

ZIPRA guerrillas from Zambia  and ZANLA guerrillas from Mozambique

- AK-47 with first generation bayonet

- RPD Light machine gun

- RPK light machine gun with bipod and 75-round drum magazine

-  SKS carbines

- Hand grenades

- RPG-2 antitank grenade launcher with PG-2 grenade

- RPG-7 with a warhead

There will more than likely be some additional weapons added to this list over the coming week 

Have you considered talking to Toadie about using some of his weapons? He already has the AK-47, RPK, G3A3, FN FAL and L1A1 "inch-pattern FAL" made in Arma 3 quality.  

Looking forward to this....

We need Alouettes and Selous scouts please :-)

trackingspoor.jpg

Looking forward to this....

We need Alouettes and Selous scouts please :-)

trackingspoor.jpg

The Selous scouts will defintely be in........ will not be a true mod about the Rhodesian Bush War without the scouts included.

As for the Alouettes no promises with that in the near future but will be something I can work on when I have version 1.0 of the mod out for game play..... need to look at all the steps etc of building a helicopter in Arma 3

Well finally some exciting news today as I have passed my first hurdle.......

I have been working on trying to get a map into Arma 3 since friday....... 5 days ago....... and pretty much came unstuck with various issues mostly due to buldozer. 

This morning I decided not to worry about buldozer for the time being... until today I thought I needed to fix this issue before I could progress to creating the map. So I have now created a sample of the map I am creating for the Rhodesian Bush War. If I am right about what buldozer does I can probably get by without it. 

This picture is just a random picture I took at maximum resolution using Google Earth ... location of the image is somewhere north of Salisbury. Now that I am using Google Pro to save the texture maps at 4800 resolution instead of 1308 the results are more hi def which is great.

ulgr2Kq.jpg

A screenshot from the mod showing my first test of the imagery. My computer is barely over the minimum requirements for Arma 3 so keep in mind my screenshots will not be at high settings. When you look at this picture and compare it to the last picture you can clearly see the roads which will make the actual roads easy to place.

Now where are those trees.......... no where to hide in this map if there is a sniper in the area.

XGyuNNX.jpg

And finally a screenshot of the map view of that area.....from the same position and direction the soldier is facing in the prior picture.

jz8AQac.jpg

Now that I have finally got  to the stage where I can add maps to Arma 3 I am ready to start creating the scenery.

Oh...and a tip for would be map makers.    When editing the files with the location of your project make sure you don't make any typos...... I made one which took an age to find and fix.

• Like 1

I created a BI forum account just to comment on this thread.

Love the wok you've done so far, it's coming together nicely. The Rhodesian Bush War is a conflict I've had an interest in for a long time now.

I'd love to help, but have no experience in modelling or coding. If you ever needed any help with research or testing however, just send me a PM.

If I may, I would suggest keeping your scope very narrow for now. The weapons you need are mostly already covered in Toadies HLC packs, and CAF_AG or Leight's OPFOR both already have some decent, generic, African geurrilla's to get you started.

The Allouette III's (Both G-Car and K-Car) have already been created by the ARMSCor dev, PetraCephas: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=26300

He's taken on a lot of SADF stuff, including some Rhodesian units, but the last time I checked, most of it was still very WIP. He may be worth talking to, however, as he's clearly a very talented 3D modeller. His Allouette's look amasing.

Unit wise, I think what's been missing from other mods set in Africa, is shorts. There are a few mods that retexture existing BI uniforms in Rhodesian cam pattern, but they're all cargo pants - I want to see some period accurate, tactical, short-shorts :P

• Like 1

I created a BI forum account just to comment on this thread.

Love the wok you've done so far, it's coming together nicely. The Rhodesian Bush War is a conflict I've had an interest in for a long time now.

I'd love to help, but have no experience in modelling or coding. If you ever needed any help with research or testing however, just send me a PM.

If I may, I would suggest keeping your scope very narrow for now. The weapons you need are mostly already covered in Toadies HLC packs, and CAF_AG or Leight's OPFOR both already have some decent, generic, African geurrilla's to get you started.

The Allouette III's (Both G-Car and K-Car) have already been created by the ARMSCor dev, PetraCephas: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=26300

He's taken on a lot of SADF stuff, including some Rhodesian units, but the last time I checked, most of it was still very WIP. He may be worth talking to, however, as he's clearly a very talented 3D modeller. His Allouette's look amasing.

Unit wise, I think what's been missing from other mods set in Africa, is shorts. There are a few mods that retexture existing BI uniforms in Rhodesian cam pattern, but they're all cargo pants - I want to see some period accurate, tactical, short-shorts :P

Glad to see that you have joined up and thanks for your great comments.

With the shorts I understand that the infantry were banned from wearing shorts in 77...but as this mod is based  at the start of the war  I will make all effort to bring the shorts back   :)

Another thing on my list is that the mods I have being using only have male african  civilians....... I want to add some female civilians to the mod .

Weapons and vehicles will be the last thing I create for this mod so for the time being I will create the map first....and then look at what to do with weapons and vehicles.

I am now looking at the option of doing a huge 102 km square map or do several smaller maps of different areas of Rhodesia.

If I do the 102km map I would be releasing each area I build as updated versions...each version adding another 10km to the map.

My other option would be to do smaller maps which would cover different areas of Rhodesia...example Bulawayo....Victoria Falls....   Umtali.....and even some missions into Zambia and Mozambique.

Let me know over the next few days what you would prefer...   I have to look at the pitfalls of doing a 102 square km map and see if my poor old computer can handle it.

If you guys want a 102 square km map.....say Yes........ or No for smaller maps.

In 2 days I will count the results and make it official...if there is a tie I will be the deciding vote   :)

I'd rather a bunch of 20x20's of the most interesting locations then a 102 km2 map. While a huge map is technically possible, the performance hit and labor involved isn't worth it. I don't get the fascination with giant maps, since a single mission is never going to use all the space at once.     

Guys: I love this project so here are a few tips that might help you:

1. Re-use where possible: as Xeres pointed out there are already assets out there which could you use. This would save you time and might even win you some help (modders are usually incredibly proud of their work). Although it's A2 here's a mod that comes closest to reproducing Africa's bush wars of the 60 and 70s: Dimitri_Harkov's Guerra do Ultramar & associated missions (Operation Mar Verde, Angola 1972Strela, Operation Trident). Regarding the Alouette, almost a year ago Dimitri_Harkov wrote:

Thanks  :)

Yes, I will (and currently am) creating a new part of the series for ArmA3. It will not be centered on the PCW anymore, but it wouldn't be much trouble to include the old african factions as well at some point.

As for vehicles: I will eventually port the cars, trucks and the ferret.
Maybe also the G.91. But much to my regret, I can not port the Alouette III.
I guess we will have to hope for a generous PetraCephas (from ARMSCor) to allow use to use her upcoming Alouette for ArmA III.

Cheers,
Dimitri

2. Get help from vets: this community harbours some old salts who have years experience creating maps, units & missions. Rather than bash your head against a wall, maybe you could learn a few tricks from them. For islands I can recommend cifordayzserver (leader of CUP_Terrains), IceBreaker (Lingor, Duala & Panthera), drifter (Korengal & FATA) & Auss (Australia in 40x40km). For missions there's a group calling themselves RWO or Real World Operations who I think could best help. In fact last year they published a mission based in Rhodesia. I think that its author, mathias_eichinger might be able to help.

3. Start small: I've lost count of the number of well-intentioned modders who grind themselves into the dirt because of conflicts with RL commitments. So perhaps start smaller than you planned (10x10 map + existing units + 1-2 missions). We all dream of giant maps with COOP campaigns and voice-overs, but Rome wasn't built in a day ;)

Best of luck and I look forward to exploring the dusty scrubs like a roofie