Mynock

Mynock's Missions

I only pulled the bariga mission, the others are still there. The mass downvotes over the past 24 hours has made it clear "no one" likes it, so that's fine they can be without it then, no skin off my nose. Send me a PM if you want it buddy, I'll host it somewhere for private download.

I don't make missions looking for "fame" or "recognition" I simply do it because I like it, but in return it would be nice to have my hundreds of hours of free time someone else is benefiting from at least a little bit respected...

The irony is Bariga has just received an update that addresses those "bulletproof bushes", but yes, I totally understand your frustrations, especially with the SWS crowd.

It's a tough gig "over there".

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mynock said:

I only pulled the bariga mission, the others are still there. The mass downvotes over the past 24 hours has made it clear "no one" likes it, so that's fine they can be without it then, no skin off my nose. Send me a PM if you want it buddy, I'll host it somewhere for private download.

I don't make missions looking for "fame" or "recognition" I simply do it because I like it, but in return it would be nice to have my hundreds of hours of free time someone else is benefiting from at least a little bit respected...

I know that buddy, I support you 100%

Plus all the people saying "it doesn't work" whereas they play with other mods...

That's why I no longer do much on the editor.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Evil Organ said:

The irony is Bariga has just received an update that addresses those "bulletproof bushes", but yes, I totally understand your frustrations, especially with the SWS crowd.

It's a tough gig "over there".

I like it because it's easy to update missions. I don't like that everyone and their mom can just post up comments when there's no way to verify they even played the mission. Same with the voting. Like I said I don't make stuff to get 5 star ratings to increase my e-penis, but having people go out of their way to recruit their friends to mass downvote missions makes it seem kind of pointless to release any. Someone made the comment about having performance issues, and suddenly I had 14 new negative votes on the mission out of nowhere... Hate to be an eye for an eye guy but at that point I was like "k whatever enjoy not having access to it anymore"

Once the bushes were fixed to a certain extent then people just complained about performance instead. The scripts running are very low impact, it's just a resource intensive map. If I can get 30-40fps on that map, anyone can, I have a really basic i7 (like 3 GHz basic...) and a 770 GTX and only 8gb of slow ass RAM... nothing fancy. Yet people won't spend 15 seconds adjusting their settings, but will spend 5 minutes to complain. I simply don't understand. If the performance is linked to something the mission creator did, like running thousands of looping scripts and stuff, then sure that's an issue you should tell them about in a respectful way. I don't mind criticisms of my work, but I do mind people that blame literally the game itself on me when I had nothing to do with whatever the problem was. Like @wiki said, people running additional mods for example who then complain the mission is broken. Well duh it's broken, why do you need zombies and life mods running for a military mission that specifically tells you not to run any additional mods?

I think my only approach for releasing anything public from this point forward is to simply delete comments on SWS as they roll in. I don't like having to censor, but idiots follow idiots. One untrue negative comment and suddenly everyone believes there are major problems with the mission and then treats it as such without even trying it for themselves.

• Like 4

Everything in your last post is totally understandable mate, sadly most of the SWS crowd don't really understand some of the "behind the scenes" complexities that Arma has, but like corporal_lib said you will always find a more enlightened audience here on the forum.

Getting back to the performance heavy nature of Bariga, going forward, talented mission-makers like yourself have the new "Hide Terrain Objects" module to use in setting up scenarios. I ran a few test on Bariga using this module and there are significant fps gains to be had.

• Like 5

I'll have to look into that. Thanks for the heads up. Haven't had any time since the new update to play with the editor yet.

• Like 1

Against my better judgement, I have chosen to re-release The Bariga Intervention publically. Bariga is a beautiful but resource intensive map, so adjust your settings accordingly. Having said that, I did what I could to make performance improvements through scripting changes, making more things into simple objects, reducing the number of enemy units, taking out a little bit of the variability, etc.

I was unable to use the Hide Terrain Objects Module to any real effect because I've discovered if you use it over large areas, it breaks auto-saves and the game will hang forever on an auto-save and then crash due to millions of errors. This is on BIs end, nothing I can do about it, so I tried other methods to improve performance.

At this point I think I've done what I can on my end to improve performance, the map is just full of clutter which makes it very detailed and realistic but at the expense of some frames. If I can stay above 30fps at the worst for certain moments but average more like 45 the entire mission with my 5 year old junk rig with a 770gtx and only 8gb of RAM on an old 3.0ghz i7 without adjusting anything from the settings I normally play at, I'm sure anyone can get good frames even if a small adjustment is required.

I've also added a medic to the player's squad for gameplay reasons (in case you get shot up you're not screwed now).

There is also now a proper feedback form to use. If you simply post a comment on the mission saying it "sux" I'll just delete it. Use the feedback form if you want me to take a claim seriously that it's a bad mission. Or better yet, use it to tell me you actually liked it and the hundred or so hours I invested were actually worth it to someone.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Mynock said:

Against my better judgement, I have chosen to re-release The Bariga Intervention publically. Bariga is a beautiful but resource intensive map, so adjust your settings accordingly. Having said that, I did what I could to make performance improvements through scripting changes, making more things into simple objects, reducing the number of enemy units, taking out a little bit of the variability, etc.

I was unable to use the Hide Terrain Objects Module to any real effect because I've discovered if you use it over large areas, it breaks auto-saves and the game will hang forever on an auto-save and then crash due to millions of errors. This is on BIs end, nothing I can do about it, so I tried other methods to improve performance.

At this point I think I've done what I can on my end to improve performance, the map is just full of clutter which makes it very detailed and realistic but at the expense of some frames. If I can stay above 30fps at the worst for certain moments but average more like 45 the entire mission with my 5 year old junk rig with a 770gtx and only 8gb of RAM on an old 3.0ghz i7 without adjusting anything from the settings I normally play at, I'm sure anyone can get good frames even if a small adjustment is required.

I've also added a medic to the player's squad for gameplay reasons (in case you get shot up you're not screwed now).

There is also now a proper feedback form to use. If you simply post a comment on the mission saying it "sux" I'll just delete it. Use the feedback form if you want me to take a claim seriously that it's a bad mission. Or better yet, use it to tell me you actually liked it and the hundred or so hours I invested were actually worth it to someone.

sad that mission makers not only have to deal with the janky arma engine to make cool things, but also have to absorb slings & arrows & thieves just to make and publish an arma mission :\

• Like 1

Thanks for doing that @Mynock some people are just dumb and don't know how to get out of their own way sometimes. I enjoyed that mission on SWS and am glad to see if is back up.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, fn_Quiksilver said:

sad that mission makers not only have to deal with the janky arma engine to make cool things, but also have to absorb slings & arrows & thieves just to make and publish an arma mission :\

Meh, just gets old after awhile ya know? But whatever, I'm over it for now.

3 hours ago, Nichols said:

Thanks for doing that @Mynock some people are just dumb and don't know how to get out of their own way sometimes. I enjoyed that mission on SWS and am glad to see if is back up.

Yep, glad you enjoyed it on the first go-round, hopefully you like the slightly reworked version.

If you find any modified versions of any of my missions floating around, please let me know. I'm already getting complaints and emails from people yelling at me because "co-op" doesn't work right for the Bariga mission... which means people are taking it, trying to modify it for co-op, and then redistributing it somewhere without my consent. So if anyone sees any of my missions floating around that have been modified please let me know, because to date, not a single person has asked me for permission to modify any of my missions. Thanks.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Because I have been enjoying the AAF 2017 mod so much, I decided to convert one of my old mini missions, Dusk Menace, to a AAF 2017 Version. You can find it here. If you already played the original vanilla one, this one is not really any different, all that was changed were assets and a few words in the text information to align with the scenario correctly; it will play basically the same, just using RHS and AAF 2017 assets.

• Thanks 1

@Mynock Did you take down all of your missions? I'm getting errors when I click on any of the links to them.