exinferis

Z- / W-Buffer, Sorting and clipping issues

How is the z-sorting, buffers and the clipping realised in arma 3? I am noticing several issues with the engine on this in certain angles to objects and on the distance. May it be possible that the resolution for this is too low for the buffer or are there some issues with the sorting?

No matter where the problem is set, there seems to be a lack of accuracy on this which is disturbing the gameplay a lot.

I can't say that I have really noticed any issues in recent patches regarding this. Skyrim (and other large sandbox/open-world games of that ilk) have often had very noticable issues with the skybox etc flickering, but ArmA does a much better (though not perfect) job.

Yeah, this has always been a major eyesore in Arma. I haven't heard of any improvements since about 2010.

Maybe the upcoming DirectX 12 will help?

I usually don't run with Skybox enabled so can't comment on that but other flickering is quite distracting. Just look at shadows, buildings etc.

It's pretty bad. Shadows can be fixed somewhat by cranking shadow setting up and using 200m shadows. And I think some HBAO and/or SMAA on High. Buildings will still flicker.

Another thing is vehicles. Weird LOD issues. Just look at this ridiculous Marshall.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=1z5sq6w&s=8

Slightly less angle, drawn correctly.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=5p2be9&s=8

My texture setting is on High - Ultra.

I don't mean the skybox....

I mean the flickering, things "bugging" through walls, flickering and so on.

Sometimes you see things that are actualy behind an other object before the object. There is a problem with the resolution of the z-buffer or more in the sorting of the objects. Especially when it comes to transparent objects.

Maybe, just maybe if they update to DX12 in on this the update the engine to 64Bit, it might help... as long as they realy change it and not just rename it. I know, it is a lott of work. But I think it would be worth every single second they spend on this.

It's an old problem dating back to OFP days and they did improve things a bit in A2:OA but it's still pretty anoying when using binocs/scopes. IIRC there was a technical limitation/reason why it couldn't be solved completely back then.

Also, it's less flickering if you don't have any object like grass or bushes directly infront of you. Try prone in grass and then crouch and look at the same objects in binocs/scope and you will see what I mean.

/KC

Have you tried setting set Texture to Ultra and Object Quality to Very High?

Also, A3 streams an incredible amount of data so running it and/or Windows off an SSD can also significantly reduce or even eliminate texture thrashing.

I am running it on an SSD with everything set to it's maximum. It is not a problem of the fps. It is just a problem of the distance and angle to the viewer.